• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Best knife for the Money....?

I was thinking about this, and keep coming back to the Cold Steel Bushman. For $16 - $12 some places, this knife absolutely rules! Doesn't cut down heavy stuff, but can do all medium tasks, and that hollow handle is great to stick a little tube of survival stuff in (and it doesn't fall out amazingly enough, unless banged repeadedly or pushed out from hole at other end). Cold Steel 2nd don't quite count I guess, but if they did, SRK would be up there...

Anyone else have any others they think fit this category?

I think the CRKT Carson M16 is a steal. Solid lock up, AUS8 steel, the "flipper" on the larger model. You can find them all on the net for about $50 or cheaper if you get the smaller models.

I think the Spyderco Moran in VG-10 is another great buy at around $50.

Of course Cold Steel has some nicely priced items, too.

The Spyderco Native can be found for under $40, too.

------------------
~Greg~

Well, if just FOR THE MONEY, it'd probably be some $3 flea market piece of crap "Tomahawk Brand" kinda deal. Don't have much experience with them, but as far as I can tell, you can certainly pay a lot more for a lot worse.
Now if you mean what is the best GOOD knife for the money, that's different. There are so many that fall so close together in this range, it's hard for me to start.

Howie

Spyderco's Native, Rescue, Delica, and Endura. The highest quality you will get for the money asked.

------------------
~James

[This message has been edited by stjames (edited 19 September 1999).]

it's gotta be crkt mirage for $21.49 at bayou lafourche knifeworks. a sharp, very smooth opening liner-lock that anyone can afford.

*not associated with bayou lafourche they jus t have the best prices.

Swiss Army Knives. They aren't flashy compared to all the fancy flicky folders around nowadays but ya gotta love 'em. They are handy and cheap, especially when you consider how well they are made. There is always one in my pocket.

------------------
Hoodoo

Cogita tute

Gotta go with the Gerber Gator ATS-34. For 35.00 you get a stout working knife that will cut for days and last a lifetime.

CRKT's SealTac series of straight blades are a steal for only $20-$24 each through Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

And that includes leather belt sheaths on the 11 3/4" oal ones, and leather boot sheaths for the 10 1/2" oal and under ones.

------------------
I need a bigger bucket.

Among production knives, my nomination at the low end ($10), for an ugly knife that will seriously cut, is the 4" fixed blade carbon steel Frosts of Sweden Clipper. (Frosts of Sweden is not to be confused with Frost Cutlery.)

At the high end of production knives ($200+/- range), anything from the William Henry company, for good custom-quality performance and good looks and fit and finish.

For the knives you'll use every day - the Spyderco kitchen knives.

-----------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 19 September 1999).]

I have to second James Mattis' vote for the Frosts of Sweden carbon steel blades. The laminated ones (R62) take and hold an unbelievable edge, and the plain carbon steel is not far behind.

With a couple of exceptions I've been on an 'affordable and mainly carbon steel knife binge' lately. The best knives for the money that I've picked up have been a couple of plastic handle, plastic sheath, carbon steel fixed blade Mora type knives, by Ericksson. They were $5 each at my local sporting goods store and the owner said that at one time she a bucket of them. Similar ones can be had for $6 to $10.

The next best values have been some Cold Steel Hudson Bay and Elk Skinner knives, full tang, hickory handle, Carbon V, 6in and 7in blades with a funnky sheath for $10 each.

For a big knife the GH or HI khukuris are a very good deal; usually 5160 with fullered, convex ground, differentially hardened blades that do the big stuff well. They seem to usually start at the $60 range.

I don't have one yet but the Opinels seem to be a good deal, often for around $10.

The USMC knives are a lot of knife for the money, by either Kabar or Camillus, and can be had for around $30.

Best kitchen knife deal has been a 3in Victronix serrated paring knife for less than $5, as it's thin blade seems to make up for the plain SS.

I think that the Old Timer folders are a good deal as the carbon steel seems to make for a better edge than the stainless usually offered in that price range.

At a higher price point I think that the Doziers are kind of a standard, representing very high quality for what is really a bargain price.

Among higher price point folders I'll nominate the BG42 blades available thru the Buck custom shop, even though I've declined to get one, yet.

I'll second whoever mentioned Old Timer pocket knives. They go pretty cheap on the final finish (nothing a needle file, some sandpaper, and a finishing buffer on a bench motor won't fix) but the blades are a lot of cut for the money. I've kept one in my pocket for years.

------------------
I don't want my children fed or clothed by the state, but I would prefer THAT to their being educated by the state.

Forgot to include Anza knives as a good buy in a traditional fixed blade; fill tang, hollow ground, and a nice simple friction fit leather sheath. W2 or 1095 steel that takes a nice edge. A number of models seem to be available, starting below $30. Leaving the pattern of the file on is a nice touch, and I guess it helps with adhesion of the handles.

Best bang for your buck? I can only comment from experience:

• Mora 4.5" fixed blade (Frosts Of Sweden), from Blue Ox Knives ($12 + $3, shipping). Shorter blades available, and cost less! That laminated carbon blade is TERRIFYINGLY SHARP (and strong). What a deal!

• Fallniven F-1, 4.5" VG10 Blade, AWESOME fixed blade, utility hunter. I paid $65, and I think it's worth alot more.

• All of Newt Livesay's knives have gotta be the best quality for your money. Woo neck knife for $25, is GREAT!

• Kabars and USMC Fighters are a deal for under $40.

• Cold Steel has plenty of great knives moderately priced - as long as you don't buy them from them! Their catalog is more expensive than dealers prices; every time.

• Schrade, Buck, Camillus, Case, all have great knives for your bucks, too.

• I just rec'd the Campmor Fall 1999 catalog in the mail, today. Guess what - they have Victorinox Tourist, Swiss Army Knives on sale for $9.95, while they last. (www.campmor.com). Shipping is $5.50. NOW THAT'S A DEAL!

Well, can't remember any other good buys at the moment.

Best bang for your buck? I can only comment from experience:

• Mora 4.5" fixed blade (Frosts Of Sweden), from Blue Ox Knives ($12 + $3, shipping). Shorter blades available, and cost less! That laminated carbon blade is TERRIFYINGLY SHARP (and strong). What a deal!

• Fallniven F-1, 4.5" VG10 Blade, AWESOME fixed blade, utility hunter. I paid $65, and I think it's worth alot more.

• All of Newt Livesay's knives have gotta be the best quality for your money. Woo neck knife for $25, is GREAT!

• Kabars and USMC Fighters are a deal for under $40.

• Cold Steel has plenty of great knives moderately priced - as long as you don't buy them from them! Their catalog is more expensive than dealers prices; every time.

• Schrade, Buck, Camillus, Case, all have great knives for your bucks, too.

• I just rec'd the Campmor Fall 1999 catalog in the mail, today. Guess what - they have Victorinox Tourist, Swiss Army Knives on sale for $9.95, while they last. (www.campmor.com). Shipping is $5.50. NOW THAT'S A DEAL!

Well, can't remember any other good buys at the moment.

Back