best knife for under 150

Hey i am new and wanted to get some opinions on what brand of knife i should get for under $150.
I would be using it for general use and I want it to be a folder (blade under 4in) just wants something that is tough and has good edge retention. Also wondering about d2 steel? Is it a tough steel?
Thanks

the composite blade kershaw tyrade is a steal, d2 g-10 and a super liner lock for under 100 dollars. if you like it, its a great buy. Also check out spyderco for some great priced knives that fit your description.

welcome!! best knife for <$150 is a pretty big area to cover. start reading this forum and you will start to realize how big the knife world is. good luck on your choice and dont be in too big of a hurry. have fun!!! ( run while you still can !!!!! ) paul

well i have been looking at the bm griptillian but i think i want a folder with S30V steel. I dont know if there is one that will fit my price range though.

Spyderco UKPK. G10 handles and CPM S30V. A fantastic, ergonomic EDC knife. :thumbup:

Assuming you're in the US, the Spyderco Stretch 2 CF/ZDP can currently be had for under $150, as can the Burger EXK1.

You`ll have a bunch of choices at that pricepoint, and a lot of good knives in there....in addition to what`s already been mentioned, the Zero Tolerance 0200 or 0350 wouldn`t be too bad either.

Brian B: well i have a bm griptillian fixed blade and i have heard that the s30v is a better steel and wanted to try something new.

Last edited:
mtn.horge: Hey, trying something new is always good. =) Hope you found the link helpful.

I agree with the Millie but you can get really good USA made folders for under $100.00.
I am carrying a Kershaw RAM 1910 that I picked up for $50.00 a few months back that I really like. Having said that I rotate my camo millie for my EDC.

Brian B: ya i did thanks... i like benchmade from my experience already and i think that i am going to go with that

i did also like the military so i will have to decide still
thanks everyone for all the help

Last edited:
Brian B: well i have a bm griptillian fixed blade and i have heard that the s30v is a better steel and wanted to try something new.
s30V can be a great steel. The 154CM in your fixed Grip is fine steel as well. You may not notice a huge difference.

If you're right handed, I would also suggest you check out the Spyderco Military, the Spyderco Sage 2 Ti (shop around a bit to find it for $150), the Benchmade 930 Kulgera, the Benchmade 940 Osborne, the Benchmade 635 Mini Skirmish, or the Kershaw s30V Blur. If you really just want to try out s30V steel, you might look at the Sypderco Native or Cat.

I'm drooling over Falllkniven. They make a few folders that go under $150, and a bunch right around that price.

It's crazy, to me, how many people seem to worship the Militray. Yes it's a good knife, but that's it.
There are many knives better than the Millitary in that price point. One would be the g-10 Endura. Another would be the Benchmade 710. The list could continue, but those are both top of the line for what they cost in my opinion. The Griptilians are a very good knife too.

ETA: ***wrong thread, too many tabs open***

Lots of good choices suggested in this thread. mtn.horge, have you had a chance to handle any likely candidates in person? What knives are you considering?

There are many knives better than the Millitary in that price point. One would be the g-10 Endura.
Siggyhk, what advantages would you say the Endura G-10 has over the Military? Frequently, I've seen this question question boil down to Military vs. BM710, but I am surprised to see Military vs. Endura. In my mind, that's like saying the Grip is a better knife than the 710.

Last edited:
Back