best knife for under 150

Siggyhk, what advantages would you say the Endura G-10 has over the Military? Frequently, I've seen this question question boil down to Military vs. BM710, but I am surprised to see Military vs. Endura. In my mind, that's like saying the Grip is a better knife than the 710.

The G-10 Endura has the "upgraded" materials that justifies (to some) the increased price point to the range of the Military, so I think it's fair to compare the two. I personally like the Military design better, but one can make a good argument for the G-10 Endura. It has:

-Ambidextrous lock/Some don't trust liner locks in general
-4-way clip placement
-Clip is designed to not catch on or scratch as much stuff
-Ergos might be better for some
-Some might prefer VG=10
-Some might prefer no finger choil

Also, I do prefer the Ritter Grip over the 710 myself. There are a few things about the 710 that just makes it somewhat unattractive to me.

The Endura has a thinner blade, which, in theory, would make it cut better than the Millitary which seems to be best know as a cutter. Also, you have the lock reliability issue. Don't want this to start down that path, but I feel alot better about the lock-back or back-lock than the liner-lock -no matter how many people say they trust thier Millitray lock. I also feel the Millitary has an excessively large handle, unless you have very large hands. The Endura feels and handles very well itself. I also like tip-up carry pocket clips. The Endura offers all four options there, where you have but one with the Millitary. It may be debatable, but the Enduras tip would likely take more before snapping. And, beyond that, the G-10 endura is quite a bit less expensive than the basic Millitary.
Now, the Millitary is lighter, but that is a personal choice issue. The Millitary does have S30v, or other steel options which are generally reguarded as beter than the VG-10 found on the Endura. But that is probably not going to be much of a noticable issue to most people. Other than those two things, I'd find it hard to argue in favor of the Millitary.
I just see the Millitray as over-rated. I respect it, but... To me the only thing worth noting is it's weight per size. Without that, it's very average. That just my opinion, and as we know, his place is full of them. I will also note that it seems the G-10 Endura is not going to be around much longer, so maybe not many other share me feelings on it.

The Endura has a thinner blade, which, in theory, would make it cut better than the Millitary which seems to be best know as a cutter. Also, you have the lock reliability issue. Don't want this to start down that path, but I feel alot better about the lock-back or back-lock than the liner-lock -no matter how many people say they trust thier Millitray lock. I also feel the Millitary has an excessively large handle, unless you have very large hands. The Endura feels and handles very well itself. I also like tip-up carry pocket clips. The Endura offers all four options there, where you have but one with the Millitary. It may be debatable, but the Enduras tip would likely take more before snapping. And, beyond that, the G-10 endura is quite a bit less expensive than the basic Millitary.
Now, the Millitary is lighter, but that is a personal choice issue. The Millitary does have S30v, or other steel options which are generally reguarded as beter than the VG-10 found on the Endura. But that is probably not going to be much of a noticable issue to most people. Other than those two things, I'd find it hard to argue in favor of the Millitary.
I just see the Millitray as over-rated. I respect it, but... To me the only thing worth noting is it's weight per size. Without that, it's very average. That just my opinion, and as we know, his place is full of them. I will also note that it seems the G-10 Endura is not going to be around much longer, so maybe not many other share me feelings on it.

Excellent, thanks for the comparison. Great analysis!

I enjoy my Enduras a lot (EDC'd one today), but the lack of choil and the stubby tip made me pick up a Military. Until they released the LH Military, the RH-only Military was a deal-killer for me.

Another very nice feature of the G-10 Endura is the full flat grind. :thumbup:
As far as the OP's stated requirement of toughness, the G-10 Endura with full liners and more reinforced tip might be tougher than the Military.

But if toughness is the main requirement, I was VERY impressed with the overall toughness of the used ZT0301 I picked up for $150. It was the burliest folder I've owned, but I'm not too into heavy folders. The ZT0200's I've handed exhibited the same tough feel. I've never handled one, but based on these experiences a ZT0350 would be well worth looking at for general carry.

Kershaw Junkyard Dog II Composite Blade, 60ish here in the dealers production knives forum. It don't suck, and change from a hundred don't irritate me either, ymmv.

The Buck #347 Vantage Pro in S30V is a deal - and available <$50. The BM 710, available in D2 now, is a far more utilitarian - and stronger - knife. You are already a BM fan - and you asked about D2 - it may be the answer. It's utility trumps it's beauty. Scrape up a few more bucks, and a BM 760BK LTi, in M4, is possible - definitely a lot neater knife. Both M4 & D2 are not SS - some care is warranted.

Stainz

I really liked my Spyderco Wayne Goddard and carried it as an EDC for about 5 or so years until the rocker lock got "soft". If it was still in production, I'd have replaced it.
since it isn't, I picked up an Ontario Rat-1 folder and have been very happy with everything about it other than the cheap black paint on the blade.

I'm going to say Sage2 since you said you want a tough knife with good edge retention. It's got a Titanium frame, Framelock, pretty thick S30V blade but it's also ffg so it should still be a good slicer.

thanks everyone for all the suggestions i have a lot of looking and comparing to do for all the knives listed here

for under 150 i'd say a coldsteel pocket bushman....under 40 dollars and a great beater. awsome knife

what do you guys think about partially serrated knives are the serrations worth getting or should i just go with a normal blade? Also how hard is it to sharpen if possible at all (for serrations)
thanks

Spyderco military or para military, whatever size you like more.
Benchmade 710's are good also, or Presidio, but I prefer the Spyderco's more.

It's crazy, to me, how many people seem to worship the Militray. Yes it's a good knife, but that's it.
There are many knives better than the Millitary in that price point. One would be the g-10 Endura. Another would be the Benchmade 710. The list could continue, but those are both top of the line for what they cost in my opinion. The Griptilians are a very good knife too.
Are you suggesting the endura is better then the military?!
Why do you believe that?
Also why is the 710 better then the military?

what do you guys think about partially serrated knives are the serrations worth getting or should i just go with a normal blade? Also how hard is it to sharpen if possible at all (for serrations)
thanks
Get a normal plain edge, combo edge knives don't have any added benefits really.
If you have the right sharpening equipment serrations are easy to sharpen.

thanks

hate serrations - unless I'm specifically cutting cordage or webbing.
combo edges, IMHO, turns 1/2 of a perfectly good knife into a useless waste of space.

The Kershaw Speedform will be out soon, and it should be around $150 street. Its Ti framelock ubersteel goodness.

Back