Best knives for the city?

As an ex-New Yorker, I would suggest you carry a sword with at least a 3 foot blade; however, you will also need to forego bathing, train yourself to drool a little and make sure you periodically yell some incomprehensible noises at imaginary targets. If you are successful, you will be left alone and given ample sidewalk space.

But, beware, they may still put a boot on your vehicle.

n2s

Sounds like my native east side of D.C.

I didn t know Philadelphia was that restrictive. When I visited Phil. to help my daughter move from one apartment to another about 10 years ago, I had a Tenacious clipped iwb behind my belt. I even went with her to a Phillies game with it clipped in place. I did use it during the move, so maybe it would have qualified as a work knife. Laws that restrictive are ridiculous, because the amount of crime prevention they provide is questionable.
The law wasn't in place 10 years ago.

I don’t live in the city, so if I’m there it’s usually to see a movie, out to eat, or a shopping trip. So when I do visit, I don’t press my luck. There’s always a smaller fixed blade in my glove box, but the only knives I have on me are this, and something without a pocket clip…usually the Fallkniven U2.

Last edited:
Noting the OP's use of the word "knife" (folding and fixed) and "backpack", I'd say:
Not sure I'd have my knife(s) inside my backpack. Inside I'd lean toward the above suggestions of lots of different kinds of multi-tools and cutting instruments.

A Glock Field Knife (w/saw-back) attached to the outside webbing of a backpack, handle down, might be nice.
A CPK DEK 1 on weak-side w/blade forward, might prove to be right for some situations/purposes/duties.
I'm really think the Spyderco Tuff - 2 would WORK as a great strong-side folder and would prove a durable companion for many more tasks than the average folder.
Sure hope I hope I never feel the need I should be equipped with all 3 at the same time!
;)

Last edited:
The best knife for the city is a Mossad-trained Israeli body guard.

Damn, that won't work. Won't fit into a backpack.

How about a Mossad-trained, cigar-smoking, 45-year-old midget whose grandparents worked in Vaudeville and knows a lot of good jokes?

Nah, there are too many "No Smoking" rules in cities nowadays.

I've got it. A Mossad-trained, female martial arts expert who's is willing to pretend that she likes you? (If the price is right.)

We're only up to Page 5, guys . . . . :D

I wonder about this philosophy sometimes in the more restrictive places!

Its probably much more common than you think. People carry and just don't say anything to anyone. If they have to use it, it gets dumped in the river. If they grab you, you know nothing, and have nothing to say until a lawyer get there.

Guns like Astra Cubs, Raven .25's, Davis .380's were the rage when I lived in D.C.. They were available, cheap, and disposable.

Its probably much more common than you think. People carry and just don't say anything to anyone. If they have to use it, it gets dumped in the river. If they grab you, you know nothing, and have nothing to say until a lawyer get there.

Guns like Astra Cubs, Raven .25's, Davis .380's were the rage when I lived in D.C.. They were available, cheap, and disposable.
That makes me feel a bit better. That good, honest people with no bad intentions, pack a pistol that may not be allowed in the place that they are, their only intention life/death usage. Not that I'm doing it. I've done it one time in my life, just to give myself a bit of an idea of what it is like to carry. I was not raised with any knowledge of awareness, defense, firearms, anything of the sort, so.. I don't really know what normal people "do". I am trying to take it upon myself to run in better circles, I had no image of a good person who carried growing up, had to learn everything for myself. Where I am in CA, they basically do not issue carry permits, so I resort to a SD knife, spray, and avoidance skills. I try to be a good, sane, sober, moral, prudent person, but I value being protected. Still, no matter what I carry, avoidance is my best tool, but avoidance sometimes fails.

That makes me feel a bit better. That good, honest people with no bad intentions, pack a pistol that may not be allowed in the place that they are, their only intention life/death usage. Not that I'm doing it. I've done it one time in my life, just to give myself a bit of an idea of what it is like to carry. I was not raised with any knowledge of awareness, defense, firearms, anything of the sort, so.. I don't really know what normal people "do". I am trying to take it upon myself to run in better circles, I had no image of a good person who carried growing up, had to learn everything for myself. Where I am in CA, they basically do not issue carry permits, so I resort to a SD knife, spray, and avoidance skills. I try to be a good, sane, sober, moral, prudent person, but I value being protected. Still, no matter what I carry, avoidance is my best tool, but avoidance sometimes fails.
Lol cover your asp

First: take a firearms safety course...
I intend to! Do you know what my firearms safety course was, when teaching myself to shoot at the range, my first time there with my girlfriend? I asked the guy for a Glock chambered in 9mm, and he laughs at me and goes "Ha, I don't think so! Here, you can shoot this..." and he puts down a box with a .38spl revolver in there. I think he could tell I was new. He also thought I was safe enough to shoot a .22 rifle. My question now is, if he thought that I would not be able to handle a 9mm auto-loader safely, why would the revolver be much different? I was pulling the bolt on a Ruger 10/22 like it was a bolt action, wasting a round for every round I shot, my first magazine.

I just respected the rules of firearm safety and found my own way around things every time I went, and it has never failed me so far. But I would very much love real training.

For those that don't know, cover your asp is a line used on the YouTube channel active self protection where they show defensive encounter videos. The sane sober moral prudent line is a giveaway 😁

Back