Best Lock-up on a folder

What do you mean by best lockup? If you mean the safest/strongest, then I agree tri ad lock is on the top, perhaps followed by lockback, Axis lock, and compression lock.

If you mean zero blade play developed over time, then frame lock, liner lock, and compression lock would come to my mind first.

100% my CBBL Manix 2.

dmU2cEw.jpg

It’s a smooth-as-butter vault. It requires more force than an Axis, and while I don’t know if it truly is stronger, it certainly does feel like it. I’d be happy to see it on more models.

The aluminum framed Buck 110 from Copper & Clad has smoothed out into the tightest locking knife i have owned, including Cold Steel. We Buck fanboys and trad lovers can be annoying, I know, but the 110 lock really is amazing.

I am also hugely impressed by the liner lock of my Victorinox Trekker/GAK. I am convinced the blade tang would bend before the liner :). Likewise the Mercator, whose frame would give out before the lock itself!

Zieg

What's the best lock-you have? What kind of lock on a folder?
Spyderco GB1 for me.
Axis lock, some movement but I can live with it.

I'm finding that little wiggles really bother me in the blade.

I get rid of any little wiggles in a hurry...I consider them symbolic of poor production methods.
SOLID lockup is all that I'm interested in...

What do you mean by best lockup? If you mean the safest/strongest, then I agree tri ad lock is on the top, perhaps followed by lockback, Axis lock, and compression lock.

If you mean zero blade play developed over time, then frame lock, liner lock, and compression lock would come to my mind first.

I'm looking for zero blade play, not strongest lock

Umnumzaan, Demko AD-15, Gamma midtech, Lionsteel SR1, ZT620 and 300, and Freeman 451. All are completely rock solid.

I'm finding that little wiggles really bother me in the blade.
Funny how some times little wiggles can be most fascinating and at other times annoying :D
Anyway back to knives.
I suppose you mean what locks up strong or without wiggle or . . . I don't know what you mean exactly.
Sure I have lots of Cold Steel that locks up all solid and noisy.
The first thing that came to mind when I read your post though was my Benchmade 710.
It just swings open and locks with zero fuss and quiet and it's a fairly large knife; I would have expected more theatrics and fan fair.
As it is I really like it though.
PS: GB1 here also. :thumbsup:
Great knife :thumbsup:

The liner lock on my Spyderco Gayle Bradley folder.
The frame lock on my Spyderco Techno.
The axis lock on my BM 940-1.
The triad lock on my Cold Steel AD-10.

That Durand is impressive looking!

Cold Steel tri-ad lock is number one, though my Recon 1 was difficult to actuate.

No problem. You can disassemble it and bend the lock spring by securing it in a vise and tapping it gently with a hammer. You can go back and forth until the spring tension is just right, which may require a few times disassembling and reassembling the knife, but it is definitely worth it to have an easy one handed closing super strong Triad lock.

Spyderco CBBL is really strong as well. Though some may find it difficult to actuate[...]

If it is hard to actuate, my experience is that it will not become easier over time, insofar as the mechanism itself (though you might get stronger, or develop better technique). But you can take the spring out and snip exactly two rings off, and reassemble the knife, at least with the Manix 2 XL. I did it to both of mine and they are now about as smooth as a compression lock with a freely swinging blade. YMMV but it worked perfectly for me.

What if I were to tell you there exists a knife that will never close on your fingers? What if said knife was also the fastest and easiest to deploy? Introducing the fixed blade! For just 5 payments of $19.99.....

Sorry. Best lock up in a folder I own would probably be my Spyderco Military

My ZT0452WBW and ZT920 have the best action and lock up I have in my small collection, 0452 beating out the 0920 by a hair.

I love the positive "Snap" when the blade flys in to the lock position. I have heard the CRK are the best but I have no experience to compare.

If you mean solid lock up as in no blade play in any direction, I would say my Spyderco GB1 and GB2 come to mind first. My new ZT 0460 is pretty solid but the pivot keeps working its way loose. A little Loctite should cure it though.

But you can take the spring out and snip exactly two rings off, and reassemble the knife, at least with the Manix 2 XL. I did it to both of mine and they are now about as smooth as a compression lock with a freely swinging blade. YMMV but it worked perfectly for me.
How is the closed blade retention after this modification? I considered making this mod to my D'Allara but then realized the spring is what keeps the blade closed as well.

Back