Best locking folding knives....who likes what?

What would be the best, or one of the best locking blades on the market? I heard the Gerber Covert locks well, but what are some of the other really good locking folding knives?? Genesis EDI any good? Just looking for some opinions and why you like em.

Top of the list; Sebenza

I also like my Darrel Ralph Apogee, also with a Ti integral lock
biggrin.gif

------------------
James

I also like the sebenza and the mission mpf.From what I have read the apogee is also very good

I am a Sebenza fan but prefer a full size Microtech SOCOM. It just fits my hand better and has very high quality. The MT SOCOM MA costs about half what a large Sebenza does to boot.

In terms of locking "strength?"

1. Sebenza or the Pinnacle (economy version IMHO)
2. REKAT Carnivore or Pioneer II
3. AXIS (my personal favorite)

There's others that are actually stronger, like Balisongs and the like. I'd say these are the strongest "conventional" locking mechanisms on folders.

------------------
Professor

Don't overlook the classic lockback. I'll take one over a liner every time. An excelent example in this category is the Buck Titanium.

Excelent grip retention, indexes well, strong lock, strong blade, looks nice, cuts well, costs 60-70 bucks. It's light too, but I have never seen a heavy knife.

I carry/use one. I use it for everything up to and including hacking through 1.5" thick branches. Obviously, not all at once.

The REKAT Carnivore is very nice. I got to play with one at the Blade Show. That knife just locks into your hand. It felt like it was gripping my hand. Plus the lock is probably one of the strongest on the market.
It gets my vote today. I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow.
smile.gif

Blades

Ill have to also say the REKAT Carnivour. It fits my hand like a glove and the rolling lock seems to be very sturdy.

------------------
Dennis

Yes, the Opinel lock is strong, but once I damaged it forcing the blade to close I don't remember how.

The problem was that the ring (Virobloc) carved out the wood from the beginning of the handle.

Nevertheless, Opinel has a tremendous "benefits"/price rate. Very good, very cheap.

Falcenberg

As far as locks go, I'd have to go for the Rolling Lock on my Carnivore. It is as solid as can be. The only close competition is my Al Mar SERE folder. That is a lockback that is exceptionally solid. That said, I have not found any liner lock that I have lacking. Try the Military.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

As far as locks go, I'd have to go for the Rolling Lock on my Carnivore. It is as solid as can be. The only close competition is my Al Mar SERE folder. That is a lockback that is exceptionally solid. That said, I have not found any liner lock that I have lacking. Try the Military.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

As everyone knows, I don't like liner locks, and no liner lock will make it into my "top locking folder" list.

I do like the axis lock, integral locks, and some lockbacks. I haven't had enough time to play with a rolling lock, but I anticipate I'll put that up on the list as well.

My fave folders?

Benchmade Axis, for the lock technology, *incredible* comfortable ergonomics, and absolutely superb performance. This is my #1 folder, period, right now.

Sebenza. Speaks for itself. And I don't even own one yet! But having handled many of them at shows and cutting with my friends' Sebenzas, it's clear why this knife generates such strong feelings.

Benchmade Pinnacle. Ergonomic, great integral-style lock, great performance.

Steve Mullin Pack River folder. A lockback with a 440V flat ground drop point blade, excellent strong lock that won't accidently unlock on me, nice ergonomics, stunning aesthetics. Production-quality wise and design-wise, for the "Sebenza" of lockbacks, this is it.

Staying with lockbacks, I feel the micarta Calypso Jr. is the best knife Spyderco has ever designed, and one of the best values to be had in a knife overall, period. Great looks, incredible performance, nicely done ergonomics. The perfect gentleman's scalpel.

In the realm of more bang for your buck, the delica and endura are the last word for me.

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

Love the Axis for lock strength but if you want to keep cost down, I have found the production Kershaw Black Horse Lock back to be darn fine too. Particularly for general use. Nice steel too, hold and edge well.

For sheer strength, I'd have to add the CS Triple-Action.
Aaron

------------------
aaronm@cs.brandeis.edu
I like my women like I like my knives: strong, sharp, well-formed and pattern-welded!

Well, the Gator has a great locking liner mechanism. Personally, I will be interested to see how the new CRKT Kit Carson M-16/04 preforms, but it's reviews have been excellent. Smith and Wessons tend to have weak liners. You're right, the Applegate Covert locks very well, but if you want that knife without worrying about breaking the locking mechanism or other moving parts, try the fixed-blade version. The only trick is finding it first.

------------------
"How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for those that are wise and of good will." -Albert Einstein

Back