Best Machetes?

Hey guys, recently ive been interested in machetes. There are so many different kinds out there and i was wondering if there are any in particular that are very good at cutting heavy brush, briars, and stuff like that. Not really looking for a chopper. Im looking for a good looking, high quality machete. Ive had my eye on the Condor el salvador machete, and it looks very nice. Anyone have any experience with Condor Stuff?

I believe Tramontia (made in El Salvador) and Condor are the top brands.
The Condor might be made by Tramontia. I'm pretty sure they make the Ontario machetes, too.

I believe Tramontia (made in El Salvador) and Condor are the top brands.
The Condor might be made by Tramontia. I'm pretty sure they make the Ontario machetes, too.

Tramontina is made in Brazil. Condor is made in El Salvador by IMACASA. Ontario makes their own machetes in-house in the USA. Of the major manufacturers out there, Condor is the best option in the "premium" sector but many of their current models are really chopping knives rather than true machetes at this point (they used to be more machete-centric) while the standard IMACASA models are the best blue-collar machetes out there. Tramontina, however, is also an excellent choice, and are more widely distributed than IMACASA are on the North American market. Other notable "working-grade" brands are Incolma/Invermec/Gavilan of Colombia and Hansa of Ecuador.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. I like the tramontina, but the el salvador seems to have a nicer handle (walnut) and overall looks better fit and finish wise. The tramontina does look nice for the price though

I always liked the Collins/Cruver model 1253. A very interesting and unusual bolo machete from WWII.

N2s

For real use Imacasa, Tramontina and Incolma make excellent examples at very low prices.

n2s

Heed the words of 42B, he has much experience!

I will add though that I talked with a guy who ran a surveyor crew for decades, and he said old Collins Legitimus machetes proved to be the most durable and effective. But that was 5+ years ago

Start with an 18” Tramontina bush machete, or a 14-16” bolo from Tramontina or Imacasa. Those would be my favorite light blades. Don’t spend more than twenty bucks.

The thirty and forty dollar blades from the knife companies are either tarted up blades from one of the latin companies, or too heavy for ltheir purpose. I haven’t tried any of them, but am put off by their specs.

Fifty bucks and up gets you into choppers, a whole different subject.

I use one a lot and prefer Ontario 22” for most work. The orange handle model is handy when using other things like a chain saw so you can see where you left it.

I have personally had great luck with Tramontina machetes. I would recommend picking up a size you like, then commission a maker here on BladeForums to make and epoxy a micarta handle to your specs.

I would also commission Azwelke Kydex to make a custom sheath.

Man. Now I’m making myself want to do this.

I have personally had great luck with Tramontina machetes. I would recommend picking up a size you like, then commission a maker here on BladeForums to make and epoxy a micarta handle to your specs.

I would also commission Azwelke Kydex to make a custom sheath.

Man. Now I’m making myself want to do this.

That is an appealing idea except for my visceral reaction to the idea of spending a hundred bucks to accessorize a $15 machete.

I rationalize buying relatively expensive sheaths for cheap knives I like by buying extras of the cheap knives, because the sheath might outlive the knife. I haven't bought a nice machete sheath yet though, I don't casually carry one often enough to justify it... yet. Good machete sheaths are hard to find.

Back