!! Best new 2017 BM that they snuck in unannounced?? 319 Proper Slip Joint!!

I like a blade long enough to span an apple. A 2.8" blade can't do that. My wife puts an apple in my lunch everyday and I have to eat it or I get in trouble!

2.5-3" blade is perfect for a pocket knife.

I like a blade long enough to span an apple. A 2.8" blade can't do that. My wife puts an apple in my lunch everyday and I have to eat it or I get in trouble!
I just roll the apple, and the shorter blade is better for coring and peeling. :)

It was amazing 10 years ago. It's just an ordinary decent steel now. Nothing premium or special about it.

You can get an S30V knife for less than $50 these days, and 85% of Benchmade's line is already S30V. Other manufacturers have moved on from S30V to M390, S90V, S110V, etc, but BM seems to be stuck with an abundance of the stuff.

If you like it, that's great news for you. For the rest of us, it's yawn-worthy, as evidenced by the "2017 Benchmades" thread.

Lol. What properties make it less worthy?
No need to keep up with the "steel of the week". In a knife that size s30v is plenty. Most my traditionals are 1095.

Lol. What properties make it less worthy?
No need to keep up with the "steel of the week". In a knife that size s30v is plenty. Most my traditionals are 1095.

Steel of the week? If you think M390, S90V, etc are short-lived fads, you're seriously out of touch with the non-traditional knife industry.

If Benchmade wanted to make a true traditional (like you suggested), they should have used a carbon steel. Instead, they used a steel that comprises the absolute majority of their product line, which makes it completely homogenized with the rest of their knives, minus the lack of a lock. I'd be interested in a traditional from BM that had 52100 or K390 so it could patina a bit and hold a low-angle convex bevel.

It reminds me of how GM would put that 3.8L V6 into every car they made. You could argue that it wasn't a bad engine, but an Impala, Camaro, Regal, Grand Am, Grand Prix, etc all had the same engine, which made a lot of enthusiasts shrug their shoulders and look elsewhere.

Steel of the week? If you think M390, S90V, etc are short-lived fads, you're seriously out of touch with the non-traditional knife industry.

If Benchmade wanted to make a true traditional (like you suggested), they should have used a carbon steel. Instead, they used a steel that comprises the absolute majority of their product line, which makes it completely homogenized with the rest of their knives, minus the lack of a lock. I'd be interested in a traditional from BM that had 52100 or K390 so it could patina a bit and hold a low-angle convex bevel.

It reminds me of how GM would put that 3.8L V6 into every car they made. You could argue that it wasn't a bad engine, but an Impala, Camaro, Regal, Grand Am, Grand Prix, etc all had the same engine, which made a lot of enthusiasts shrug their shoulders and look elsewhere.

My point was that you won't notice a difference with the s30v vs m390 in a knife that size.
I personally don't care to show off a knife to brag about the steel. You will feel the difference in power on a car so that's a bad comparison. With a knife this size you won't be at a loss of performance with the steel choice. It's a great steel which is why they use it. I'd take 440c as well.

The blade length is fine, this knife is simply a surprise. Thanks Benchmade for this treat!

My point was that you won't notice a difference with the s30v vs m390 in a knife that size.
I personally don't care to show off a knife to brag about the steel. You will feel the difference in power on a car so that's a bad comparison. With a knife this size you won't be at a loss of performance with the steel choice. It's a great steel which is why they use it. I'd take 440c as well.

My 480-1 Shoki has an M390 blade of the exact length as the 319. It will hold an edge better than any length S30V blade I've got, and achieve a finer finish/lower bevel to boot. If you can't tell the difference, that's great. I can.

My 480-1 Shoki has an M390 blade of the exact length as the 319. It will hold an edge better than any length S30V blade I've got, and achieve a finer finish/lower bevel to boot. If you can't tell the difference, that's great. I can.

This is definitely not a good buy for you. You might roll an edge. You should probably stay away from traditional style knives in general. I don't see many m390 slipjoints.

This one breaks the mold in every way, except the S30V. Nothing wrong at all in basic use. But I'm thinking M4 would have tipped the excitement scale on this one.

Actually - it's not Benchmade's first non-locking knife. Ken Steigerwalt (I think) designed two traditional slipjoints about ten years ago, for Benchmade and the NRA. Here's the thread that motivated me to get one:

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/benchmade-nra-outdoors-12720-stockman.468745/

These weren't actually made by Benchmade here in the U.S., but they carried the Benchmade name on them, so to my mind, that counts. They released both a Stockman (#12720) and a little Canoe pattern (don't remember the # on that one.) The Stockman is a three-spring model with raised bolsters like the regular Canoe pattern. They also have the Sheepfoot blade pivoting opposite the main clip blade, so it sits a little lower, and makes for a more comfortable grip.

~Chris

Last edited:
I got a red one, and it is sweet. I've been carrying it in a AG Russell black leather pocket slip.

Arrived shaving sharp with even grinds and good action.

I got one a week ago and it's one of my favorites that I've picked up recently. I'm hoping this one sticks around and we see variations (mini, different colors, metal bolsters would be great).

3200B882-2A4B-4C6C-A19F-7DEE073EF441_zpsjvlcqi0r.jpg

C26970D4-3ADC-4C87-9274-2EFF0815AF9D_zpsppc81zm1.jpg

F8008E13-5260-45FC-874F-168B3C076985_zpssyqgmcyf.jpg

5CAAE857-3405-4FDE-9D2F-F87DDE90AD89_zpsexwggows.jpg

E16E401E-808A-48A4-BEA6-02EC96C6CCA7_zpsocfjlltx.jpg

By the way, I really like the new "First Production" markings too. Much better than before.
_DSC4794%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zps1pbgqfjv.jpg

It would be cool if they used CPM M4 or even 1095 as the blade steel here.

Saw a few issues from this knife via toadstkr
here's his initial unboxing which looks promising at first.

but after reading about it on a few of his instagram posts he's going to send it back to benchmade to make it right. https://www.instagram.com/toadstkr/

i really like the look and wanted one but benchmade have QC issues that i just dont want to invest in for the money spent.

Last edited:
I don't see many m390 slipjoints.

I'm looking forward to my M390 Lionsteel CK Barlow in a month or so. :)

Interestingly that cost me slightly less than this Benchmade, and my Lionsteel will have elk stocks.

But if I didn't already have funds allocated for that, the Proper would be tempting. It still is for the purposes of having a synthetic-handled slipjoint. I still like it, and S30V is still good steel, and $115 is quite within the bounds of reason, IMHO.

Back