Best out of the box cutters

Brutus013

BANNED
What knives have you owned that have impressed you out of the box with their sharpness, and what one specific knife has been the sharpest out of the box that you've seen? Various Kershaws I've owned have been quite sharp out of the box, the most recent being the Kershaw Junkyard Dog.

My Bm615 mini rukus and my mcusta Mc-1 damascus were pretty much tied for out of the box sharpness; those things cut like lasers.

Best out of the box cutters I've seen are box cutters and Opinels.

Sharpest knife (As in, edge sharpness, not total cutting ability) I've seen from factory was a Spyderco Spin.

Buck strider all the way. THIs is my fav. knife and use it every single day. I love it and have never used another knife since.

Cold Steel AK47 came out of the box shaving sharp. Just for fun i used it to shave my hands and legs :) Only had to occasionally wipe it down with cloth a few times along the way. It still shaves hair today! Not bad for a relatively cheap folder, because of the price, it's my assigned 'beater' knife. I changed the torx screws (from the short ones to longer screws for safety) and I polished the insides of the Ultra Lock (to smoothen out the Ultra lock) it is probably my most tank-like folder I own!

Benchmade Rukus and 710D2 were scary sharp as well but since they were so nice looking they have been assigned as safe queens so not much shaving there.

Even if they were not scary sharp, I find it's not much trouble to sharpen them a little out of the box...

Microtech SOCOM auto. I have knives from Strider, Spyderco, ZT,Benchmade, and this knife is so sharp its frightening. I love it!

The production knives that I found stood out from the rest for OTB sharpness are the full flat ground Spydercos and Emersons.

I think if you want to go much sharper than those you need to start looking at custom knives or a rebeveling of some sort. :thumbup:

Hand-made and custom puukkos so far have been far sharpen than any other knife "out of the box" that I've ever tried. That shouldn't be too surprising. As far as production knives are concerned, it's hard to say - it's hit and miss with practically all of them. Sometimes you get very sharp ones out of the box, and sometimes just plain dull.

Spyderco and Benchmade have always been razor sharp out of the box for me, too.

Spyderco and Benchmade have always been razor sharp out of the box for me, too.

My new Tenacious has really impressed me with its "out of box" sharpness and cutting ability. The edge geometry is perfect for an "out of the box" knife! :thumbup: ,,,VWB.

I've got to agree with Big Philly: the buck strider kicks ass. I've had mine for a good decade now and I still remember how impressed I was when that ATS-34 was popping hairs right out of the box and continued to until I cut down a small tree with it.

First run Benchmade AFCK and First Run Spyderco Wane Goddard, Jr. with micarta scales. Also a Taylor Seto balisong circa 1980's bit big time!

Matador-

Microtech and Case have, for me, always been the sharpest straight out of the box. Benchmade and Spyderco are close seconds, and can take as fine of an edge for sure, but don't seem to come with quite as ridiculous an edge as Microtech and Case.

Back