Best Pepper Spray???

Monofletch

Basic Member
I am not sure this is the correct forum, but I should be close!! :thumbup:

I am looking for some good, High quality, pepper spray. It looks like FOX and Streetwise have the highest heat ratings. The Cold Steel is the smallest particals- if that matters. I deliver mail in the city and have had some ....."close calls". The issue Dog spray is LESS THAN 1%!!!

I would rather hit them with pepper spray than my Blur!!! :D

What do you guys recomend?

I have been sprayed with First Defense mk4 numerous times as well as seen literally hundreds of other soldiers sprayed with it and it is very effective.

i was looking into this around 4 years ago and went with fox labs. i will keep an eye on this thread since it seems i should replace mine.

my department issues the first defense mk3. it works great, i had to get sprayed during the academy and that crap SUX bad!
My brother's department issues freeze +p which is OC, and CS

Used to work narco, we used high potency OC/CS mix. After getting sprayed with that stuff a few times walking through a gas chambers a breeze. The only explanation I can give us it feels like packing your eyes with glass and flossing them w razor wire. If I was really pisswd at someone I wouldn't bother whoopin em, I'd just give them a solid does

The FOX and the Streetwise are a whooping 18% and both are over the 2,000,000 SHU.

Streewise--

Independent Laboratory Heat Rating Certified
• Derived from over 4 Million SHU
• 46% Stronger than competing brands

I did order 2 3oz cans of this Streetwise. We'll see!

I use freeze +p.I am an ACO,I will give you this warning.Some dogs will be stopped by it but some it will just make more aggressive.I have hit a dog with it and a breeze blew it back at me so it became a contest to see who could get over it the soonest.IMO the best defense short of a gun is a ASP baton.Most of the time just deploying it will stop them and if it does not they will bite the first thing the get too,the end of the baton keeping them off you.If the attack continues start clubbing.

Last edited:
i'd go with a can of Cold Steel Inferno as a firstline and a pair of good heavy (steeltoe?) boots and an ASP as a seondary.

The FOX and the Streetwise are a whooping 18% and both are over the 2,000,000 SHU.

Streewise--

Independent Laboratory Heat Rating Certified
• Derived from over 4 Million SHU
• 46% Stronger than competing brands

I did order 2 3oz cans of this Streetwise. We'll see!

Here's the thing. Some brands list % of OC and others list the Capsaicinoid %. OC is always in whole % numbers and the Capsaicinoids are in decimimal, ie .20%. Not sure how you would compare the two.

What form is preferred? Mist or gel or foam?

I like stream the most. Mist has the highest chance of cross-contamination (getting blown back into your face in the wind) and stream has the greatest effective range. Gel is good if you anticipate having to use it indoors and don't want to get any of it into the ventilation system.

Last edited:
I am a firm believer that it is NOT the dog's fault, but the OWNERS fault when it comes down to that-- I spray everything -- the porch--the door--everything EXCEPT the dog. I figure someone has to clean up the mess!! And I doubt they will want to let fido loose again. I am more worried about the people here. I am constantly approached -"Can I hold a dollar". Crime is on the rise in a BAD way!
I want sticky gel!!!!

On the other hand, 2 weeks ago NYPD officers sprayed a knife wielding man on a street at least 6 times. He kept coming at the officers and was finally shot. Wind, drugs and alcohol in subjects system and his mental condition are all factors.

I used to work for Armor Holdings/ Defense Technologies where we produced tear gas, mace, pepper spray, etc for government contracts as well as civilian companies,,, i would suggest UDAP bear spray,,, crazy hot and will really do a number on someone...

Get OC. Keep in mind though that some people are not affected by pepper/mace/OC.

While that is probably true, I have seen somewhere in the neighborhood of 600+ soldiers sprayed with OC and it affected every single one of them very similarly....

Back