Best pound per pound dog for a wilderness man ?

I saw a discovery channel show about scientists in Alaska tagging seal pups for study. They started using huskies and other sled dogs to locate the pups, but switched over to labradors after a few days because the labs were the only one's with the enthusiasm to do it all day :)

Waterproof coat, webbed feet, hunt, point, flush, retrieve, repeat :)

They're bread to be robust field dogs, and mine doesn't have a mean bone in her body:

coq8.jpg

She even forages :)

SANY0029-5.jpg

Last edited:
I think a larger dog would be more useful mostly because i dont really see a dog being able to hunt up enough food to really make much of a difference. A larger dog could be used for protection and could carry, drag things as well.

Maybe an Anatolian Shepherd? Huge dogs that are able to defend you against some of the biggest animals and actually eat remarkably little for such a big dog. They also have a double coat and were bred to be outside guarding the livestock all day, everyday without shelter or even human direction.

I haven't got a clue what mine is. (Anybody want to guess.) But she's great at everything except getting on with other dogs.
She's a great hunter & guard dog. She loves to sleep out in the heat or cold. She loves mountains & lakes. She's 10 years old now, but she's got the stamina of a pup.
I'd really like to know what she is, as when something happens to her (gulp) I can't imagine replacing her with a different breed.
She's my best friend both at home & in the wilds.

41187_1569176111881_479283_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/602562_4740692717814_860066395_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have had Min Schnausers and found it to be a great outdoors companion. Those Jacks are SHARP and great company. I have always wanted a Ridgeback... maybe one day.

Terriers in general are tough and smart. Australian Cattle dogs are good outdoorsdogs. Lots of good choices.

I gues sthe pound for pound part would be swayed buy whether you feel you might have altercations with larger carnivores...
Much as I love a little smart dog, if a bear or lion becomes a problem, a dog with a little more bite looks pretty good.

Bill

Definitely something with a mind to the old school. I have a big problem with the legacy of what the Victorians started with their eugenics and the weaknesses that inhere in show breeds as a consequence. So even on a health basis alone I'm going with some sort of cross. …..........That cross needs to have a number of features 1] athleticism on a dynamics to weight ratio. 2] tenacity without being over hard eg: a terrier working underground that doesn't stop and give tongue at a quarry it can't overwhelm is a liability, or worse, dead. 3] it's got to be smart – smart enough to work from it's own initiative but also tractable. [kids can be taught to fetch and carry, that pretty basic, I require better from a dog]............I have a huge fondness for lurchers and longdogs so whatever it is it is going to be some kind of build drawing from that pool. A pure sight hound is no good to me, they have a canine version of bird brain. Whilst the flat out catching-up-to prowess of a greyhound is awesome to behold, and so effective under some circumstances that in the dark ages they were banned for all but nobility, or hobbled by having toes cut off, they arent very well rounded. The commoner's ban defeating version crossing a greyhound with a cattle dog, the lurcher, has been the typical poachers dog that filled the pot during the long affray between the stuffed shirts and the hungry. It would be quite acceptable to me to stop at this point, cross a greyhound with a Welsh Hill Collie and call that good......................That said, I'd meddle will the recipe further. The dog I lost two weeks ago was truly excellent. He was a mix of lurcher * deerhound. Too big to fulfill the brief here as accurately as I can but offers an excellent gist. He was extremely intelligent and gave nothing away to well known smart dogs like German Shepherds in that respect. [I grew up surrounded by German Shepherds because of stuff my parents were into, and I've meddled with a lot of dogs since so I have very high standards and a low tolerance for idiocy]. He'd fetch and carry like a gundog if that's what I wanted him to do. Although he was too big to be optimized for bunny bagging he'd take those reliably enough. In fact as a testaminet to his skills in that department if I can be bothered I might post up a pic of one he took two weeks after having a front leg amputated. And that's massive surgical for a dog of his size. As the vet said at the time “it's not like a small dog with their little chicken wings that just pop out”. Never the less there he stands with his kill, shaved down one flank and with a row stitches in like a shark got him, loving his work. And here's a key too, he learned real quick to work smarter 'cos he could not be as fast as he was. Anecdotes about lurchers becoming extremely sagacious in their senescence as they loose speed are legion. Seeing it happen in such an accelerated way over a period of a few weeks was phenomenal. Back to the plot though and I can say that he'd take small deer if the law was irrelevant, no doubt about it. I've never encouraged him to do it because I like them but seeing him hit into foxes at full tilt isnt something you easily forget. Harder to forget was a mistake on my part during his early training – he hit into a sheep a full power, both rolled down hill out of sight into a river, only he came out. If he'd ever worked as part of a brace or trio with others of his ilk I'm confident they'd take a stag. The stag would just break it's own neck. It came as no surprise to me to see some Australian dogs similar to him but with a bunch of mastiff wound in hunting pigs..................That said, if we were down to the “you can only have one” type scenario I'd say go smaller. As anthropologists tell us, it's all very well the men going off for their trophy kills and some chest beating on the trapline, but it is her indoors doing the daily grind of feeding the kids that's doing the real donkey work. She is catching small stuff successfully over and over again day in day out with certainty and once every so often he snags a giraffe and claims the bragging rights. Same thing applies to my opinion of rifles come to that. I could go out from here with a pocket full of 270 win everyday for a week and not guarantee coming back with anything more significant than badly battered rabbits. And supposing I did get a deer kill every time it wouldn't take long before I had exhausted all the available and needed to relocate. Similarly, there are pitfalls in loading up a dog's attributes to shine mostly at the big kills only. I'd want something that was good for modest sized stuff but was also a good vermin grabber.........In conclusion, if I were to custom build something on a pound for pound basis it would be something like a Collie * Greyhound * Bedlington. The Collie provides the brains and the stamina. The Greyhound [or Whippet] gives it the vision and the speed. The Bedlington is no slouch on speed, fantastic round water, not too stupid for a terrier, and has the heart of a lion. That would give a compact package that would feed me more than I fed it. Yeah, I want a superfast cunning jackal that can adapt more than a wolf that looks good in the poster. Rogues and running dogs, they've got hundreds of years of proven.

Good call on the Bedlingtons !

This was my 3rd dog as a kid, a Bedlington terrier called Coco ! If any of you don't know about Bedlingtons don't judge them on their looks, these little thing are IMO one of the very best hunting dogs you can get !!!
Everytime I took Coco a walk he would come back with a rabbit. Coco killed his first rat when still only a young pup, he had tried to play with it until it bit his nose and then it was game on.He hated rats from that day and killed many ! He even used to flush out pheasants and then race across the fields watching where they flew until they tired and had to land again where he would then get them...it was unreal to see!!!!

funny004.jpg

funny003.jpg

My dad then got Blue, another Bedlington, as a companion for Coco. Blue was bred as a show dog where as Coco was a working dog. Although not quite as strong and fast as Coco, Blue still caught the odd rabbit.

funny002.jpg

My pit is an amazing hunter. He's climbed trees to bring back squirrels, rats don't stand a chance, birds tease him but he's gotten a few by being lucky/determined. Took down a 5 ft snake that bit my Staffie too. At 50 lbs, he doesn't eat much. Only drawback is he's short haired so the northern parts of the world might be a bit challenging for him but down here in Florida he's great. Also, my nephew who has aspergers has no problem playing with him and he keeps goblins out of my house fairly well too. Coluld not wish for a better friend than my boy.

Last edited:
I love reading the dog stories on this thread.

I don't have a dog, but me and my friends encountered an interesting dog breed while we were backpacking in the Ozarks last week. There was a man on the trail with a dog that he said was an "American Dingo". He claimed that these dogs have been on the American continent since the northern Asians crossed the land bridge to North America thousands of years ago.

Tonight I did some internet searching and found intriguing information; the English colonists found these dogs here living amongst Native Americans hundreds of years ago. They look like primitive dogs, i.e. bred by natural selection. They hunt in packs without being trained to do so, and they raise their pups communally.

Here is one Web site I found:

http://www.carolinadogs.com/

Another vote for the Cur...alot of different breeds of Cur dogs but these dogs are TOUGH & will hunt anything on the planet ! My brother has a Kemmer Cur & he hunts squirrels & racoons just the same. These dogs have a ton of energy & are great with people.
DSCF8882.jpg
[/IMG]

The only problem I see with some of the terrier breeds is they tend to need a lot of training, as far as obeience goes. I would not want to lose a dog to a animal greater than a dogs abilities just because it would not obey.

Indeed the Black Mouth Cur is tailor designed for this mission. Strong, athletic, off the scale intelligent, fast-super fast learner, protective, can hunt, herd, and track silently. Hunts squirrel, deer, bobcat, and mnt lion. Tenacious and tireless.

Only downside is one layer of hair so one has to be careful in cold climates and they're not lab crazy about water.

My Chocolate Lab does real good. 55lbs so she dont eat too much and shes smartest dog Ive ever had. She eats berries off of bushes, kills rodents, listens, and labs are tough dogs, they do good in the wet and cold.

bwiIV.jpg

Another vote for the Cur...alot of different breeds of Cur dogs but these dogs are TOUGH & will hunt anything on the planet ! My brother has a Kemmer Cur & he hunts squirrels & racoons just the same. These dogs have a ton of energy & are great with people.
DSCF8882.jpg
[/IMG]

To the people who breed and hunt them the main difference between a mountian cur and mountian fiest is a the cur is #40 or more fiest is under #40

I haven't got a clue what mine is. (Anybody want to guess.) But she's great at everything except getting on with other dogs.
She's a great hunter & guard dog. She loves to sleep out in the heat or cold. She loves mountains & lakes. She's 10 years old now, but she's got the stamina of a pup.
I'd really like to know what she is, as when something happens to her (gulp) I can't imagine replacing her with a different breed.
She's my best friend both at home & in the wilds.

41187_1569176111881_479283_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/602562_4740692717814_860066395_n.jpg

Is that a Buffalo shirt ya wearing ?

Back