Best pound per pound dog for a wilderness man ?

I could not imagine a better dog than my German Shepherd.

However I have herd great things about the Rodesian rIDGEBACK

I had an Australian Cattledog (Blue Heeler) for 13 years, Eureka (usually just 'Reka), and she was unstoppable. While at ~45lbs, she could easily run with me (usually 4-6 miles) and then beg to play 'frisbee' which would go for another 30mins to an hour and stopped only when *I* got tired!

She wasn't mean toward other people aside from a deep need to "herd" them, but was otherwise very friendly. She didn't eat too much and could take temp extremes very well (except for extreme cold - that's husky territory!). However, she shed like mad seemingly all year 'round and barked too much. She would have been better suited to life on a ranch/farm.

We now have a brindle-colored Pitbull/McNab cattledog mix (though he looks ALL pitbull) named Mojo and he's only 3 months. So far, he's displaying a very high "please (love on/snuggle/lick)-the-humans" attitude and chasing/guarding our backyard from the mule deer/squirrels which daily feed/sleep here. He really is a joy and loves everyone he meets. I need to socialize him with other dogs a bit more so he doesn't become too aggressive with other K9s, but otherwise seems 'on-track' to becoming a stellar K9 member of our family.

Well I tend to be partial for some reason to Boston Terriers and well bred Pitbulls for some reason :D . Big and medium size Bostons would be great for wilderness use in normal weather. They tend not to do good in extreme cold or extreme heat due to the compact snout/body etc. My big boy Deebo does loves to catch squirrels, rats, birds and my other two (Chase & Small)..just go after birds. I find that the bigger Bostons aren't as food sensitive as the smaller built ones. Now for my mid sized pitbull (Hard..RIP)..loved the wilderness, good in all weather as long as he had snow shoes and a sweatshirt on and could eat almost anything and not get sick. They are very resilient, intelligent, loving, playful and protective dogs..in the RIGHT hands. I know the bad rep they have (I was attacked by a chiwawa and got 3 stitches on my lower leg but nobody took it seriously due to its size except me lol) but like I said.."in the right hands" (loving, strong, fatherly), they are great dogs and can be taught to do almost anything.

Deebo, Chase, & Small
1351863189975.jpg

Hard
1351955885158.jpg

Harder (Hard's Son) - he took the cone from a worker after he put it down and wouldn't give it back lol
1351957325944.jpg

Last edited:
I am late to the post and have not read every response. However, I did some research on my own a few years ago and bought a female black mouth cur from the Ladner line. I recently also got a male. Females go about 40 lbs. and are hunting fools. I live in ohio and would not go hungry with her.

I'd love to see a pic.

Intresting read about a dog... I like this story.

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/john_muir_writings/stickeen/the_story_of_a_dog.html

It realy don't matter what breed of a dog you have. Most of them would pick up on your personalty and complement you.. There is a reason why a dog is a mans best friend. Its not cats, pigs, horses or women its a dog lol... You treat the dog right and he would do anything to make you happy. There are plenty of big dogs what would run away if something happen. I seen mutts that would not back down and fight.. I posted a long time a go a pic of my Doberman amour(love). He was the best hiking camping and backpacking buddy I ever had. Twice got lost in the woods when he would just start walking in one direction following him got me back to the car once and the other time back to my camp site in the high sierra. He died 18 years ago. I still think of him every time. On one backpacking trip I said to him maybe a dozen words the all trip. He just knew what I needed. Sitting on a grass once he walked over sat next to me and put his head on my shoulder. I would always remember that evening we just enjoyed the sunset togher... Or the one time I woke up with him standing by my sleeping bag and staring down a pack of coyotes. My movement and trying to get out of the sleeping bag put everything in motion in a split second. They went closer and he attacked fight lasted for a few min. Belive it or not but I got tears just thinking about him..
Now I take my dads german sheperd on hike and camping and while she is a great dog and watchs out for everyone. That connection when you can almost read each other mind is not there....

These are some dog breeds that I think would do well, but they are not, by all means, the only ones.....

Hunting Dogs:
Brittany:
The Brittany is a medium sized dog from Northwestern France that ranges from 17.5 inches to 20.5 inches at the shoulder and weigh between 30 and 40 pounds. It was originally bred to be a poacher’s dog that lived with the poacher and hunted all kinds of game, and is the only spaniel that points, flushes and retrieves game. It’s also a really sweet and trainable dog.

German Shorthaired Pointer:
The German Shorthaired Pointer is a large sized dog from Germany (of course) and is roughly 23-26 inches tall at the shoulder and ranges from 40-70 pounds. It was bred in the 1800s to be an all-purpose versatile hunter, which is much more practical than having a retriever for retrieving, a pointer for pointing, etc. Even to this day the GSP is a favorite among hunters who want a versatile hunting dog with them. The German Shorthaired Pointer also makes a great family pet.

Drafting Dogs:
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog:
The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is a giant breed from Switzerland and ranges from a height of 23.5 inches to 28.5 inches tall and weighs 90-140 pounds. It is an ancient breed from when Roman war mastiffs were bred with local Swiss farm dogs, and were used for centuries as a multi purpose farm dog that would herd cattle and sheep, draft carts for those who could not afford horses, guard the family and property, and basically anything else except to hunt. Today they are still very functioning work animals and are often used for carting, herding, backpacking and guarding. They are equally suitable on the trail, working on a farm, or being a companion.

Great Pyrenees:
The Great Pyrenees is another giant breed that originates from the Pyrenees Mountains at the border of France and Spain, and their height ranges from 25-32 inches tall and weigh from 80 to 120 pounds. This breed was bred to be a livestock guardian in the mountains where they were raised with the sheep and would guard its “pack” from wolves and bears. This makes it a very wonderful backpacking companion because of its immense strength and its loyalty to its family, as well as being bred to be able to traverse steep and hilly terrain.

Cur Dogs:
Black Mouth Cur:
The Black Mouth Cur is a large breed that is from the Southern United States, and is anywhere from 16-25 inches tall and weigh anywhere from 35-95 pounds. This breed was developed for pure function and is a wonderful example of versatility because they were bred to: herd cattle, hunt large and small game, and still guard their home. The reason why there is such a large range of height and weight is that they were and are bred only based off of performance and not on cosmetics. These dogs are just a functional as they were centuries ago when the settlers and pioneers relied on them for their survival.

Rhodesian Ridgeback:
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a large breed that is from South Africa, and is 24-27 inches tall and 65-90 pounds. This is another type of cur and was bred to help hunt large game as well as protecting the family, and is most noted for how groups of these dogs would bait Lions while the hunters killed them, but this was done actually very rarely. Basically, this is another dog that is a great companion that will help you catch big game at day and then guard your household at night, another great dog for the wilderness.

Wild Boar Dogs:
Dogo Argentino:
The Dogo Argentino is a large to giant sized dog that ranges from being 23.5-27 inches tall and weigh anywhere from 80-100 pounds. This dog was originally bred to be the perfect dog for wild boar hunting in the 1920s and they were really successful. These dogs are amazing big game hunters and guard dogs, and in 2008 there was a Dogo that fought off a Puma to protect its owner’s two young daughters (an account of this is given in Dogs 101). Today, these dogs are not only family companions and big game hunters but have been trained in search and rescue, police assistance work, military work, etc. These dogs are very hardly and would be ideal to take out into the wilderness.

American Pit Bull Terrier:
The American Pitt Bull Terrier is a medium to medium-large sized dog that are anywhere from 17-21 inches tall and 30-65 pounds. This dog was originally bred as a farm dog as a catch dog, to hunt, drive livestock, to guard households, and as family companions (in fact Teddy Roosevelt owned one). Today they have maintained their athleticism and strength which has led them to be very versatile and have used for: big game hunting, search and rescue, police work, border patrol, service dogs, and many other jobs. This dog has many of the same advantages of having a Dogo, but in a smaller package.

Herding Dogs:
Australian Cattle Dog:
The Australian Cattle Dog is a medium sized dog from Australia that is anywhere from 17-20 inches tall and 30-50 pounds. This dog breed was developed to drove cattle across the rough Australian terrain, and is a very hardy breed. Even today, these are very durable dogs with a ton of endurance and would be a great hiking companion.

Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog:
The Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog is a large sized dog from the Southern United States and is anywhere from 20-26 inches and weigh anywhere from 50-95 pounds. These dogs are another Cur type breed that is very versatile and was bred to be able to herd cattle, hunt large game like wild boar, and being a guarding the household. Because Cur type dogs are bred only for performance, they are still amazing functioning work dogs today. Making it a perfect wilderness dog.

Last edited:
I trained dogs for a little while. Honestly, any dog can be trained. After that, breed comes down to personal preference. I think a Jack Russel Terrier or Lab would be a good choice for wilderness, and of course, any of the medium-sized sheep dogs.

I love my Jack but when he gets in the zone its very difficult to break his concentration. Years ago we had a Dobie, now that was a disciplined dog. I could put a milkbone on his nose and watch him drool until I said okay. Just not as cuddley as the JRT. Love this thread!

I'd love to see a pic.

I will try and post a pic of them later or at minimum a link to a breed page. I should also mention that they dont run off. I hunt with other guys who spend more time hunting their dogs than they do game. The bmc hunts close, usually a hundred or so yards out and when i head to the truck she joins me. I freaking hate dogs that need to be chased, infact I wont own one. They are also very protective and athletic but great with kids. "Old Yellar" was written about a black mouth cur, though another dog played the part. They are great do everything dogs including hunting boar, bear and bigs cats as well as coons and squirrels, etc. They are too fast imo for rabbits though. They can also heard and used to be used to catch cattle that were on the range. They are not a gentlemans dog. they were bread to work and protect the homesteads of pioneers as well as help feed them. I do not mean to take away from the opinion of others but many of the breeds listed have been specialized breeds, either hunting, guarding or herding. I think the cur is about as much of a do it all dog as you could hope to find.
Josh

Well, obviously my dogs are the best.

1275930-F5KWJG5.jpg

But since I live in northern Sweden and they wouldn't survive without hot coco and wool jackets in the winter... I'll have to put my vote for my friend's Norrbottenspets and Karelian Beardog. I swear, these guys can handle anything our winters can throw at them and ask for seconds :D Brown bears - no problem, -40°C - no problem. The Norrbottenspets would probably be my choice, or perhaps a cross-breed of the two. Mostly because the NBS is a fierce hunter but still a great companion, one that doesn't mind getting its belly rubbed and it won't try and eat your kids, the KBD is more lion than dog really. Given, it wouldn't do anything to a member of its pack, but I wouldn't guarantee anyone else's safety! Independent and fearless would probably be my words to describe that one.

Comparison pics

KBD
6225926280.jpg

NBS
rex_norrbottenspets.jpg

Well I tend to be partial for some reason to Boston Terriers and well bred Pitbulls for some reason :D . Big and medium size Bostons would be great for wilderness use in normal weather. They tend not to do good in extreme cold or extreme heat due to the compact snout/body etc. My big boy Deebo does loves to catch squirrels, rats, birds and my other two (Chase & Small)..just go after birds. I find that the bigger Bostons aren't as food sensitive as the smaller built ones. Now for my mid sized pitbull (Hard..RIP)..loved the wilderness, good in all weather as long as he had snow shoes and a sweatshirt on and could eat almost anything and not get sick. They are very resilient, intelligent, loving, playful and protective dogs..in the RIGHT hands. I know the bad rep they have (I was attacked by a chiwawa and got 3 stitches on my lower leg but nobody took it seriously due to its size except me lol) but like I said.."in the right hands" (loving, strong, fatherly), they are great dogs and can be taught to do almost anything.

Deebo, Chase, & Small
1351863189975.jpg

Hard
1351955885158.jpg

Harder (Hard's Son) - he took the cone from a worker after he put it down and wouldn't give it back lol
1351957325944.jpg

You have the same taste in pups as me, I love bostons, pit bulls, and french bulldogs the most(I was "meh" on them but my ex had one and it won me over hardcore ).

Where did you get Deebo from? A breeder? I'm in MD and i've been wanting a Boston terrier for a while!

You have the same taste in pups as me, I love bostons, pit bulls, and french bulldogs the most(I was "meh" on them but my ex had one and it won me over hardcore ).

Where did you get Deebo from? A breeder? I'm in MD and i've been wanting a Boston terrier for a while!

Deebo is 3 and was the only male from my dads boston terriers last litter before he passed..and my dad passed a year later, so Deebo is special and gets away with murder lol. I am mating him in February for the first time with a similar sized female named Cree. My three are all great dogs but all unique personalities. Deebo is the law & comedian..Chase is a terrorist..and Small CJ is ninja lol. French bulldogs are also great and rough little dogs. Both are good choices for a dog..

1351863129297.jpg

Last edited:
Back