Best serious use HI wood chopper?

First off, new to the forums here so be kind on the flaming if this is the "wrong" place for putting a thread like this. Now down to business: as stated in the title, I'm looking to buy my first kukri of which I intend to use for limbing and chopping up smallish trees. Basically I'm looking to branch out from just using axes and a kukri would be a great and fun investment in that department for me.

I'm willing to pay the high price for a HI product but as the price is so high I can only make one purchase and it needs to be the correct one. So, which kukri would you gals/guys recommend as the "best" overall serious wood-chopper?

A few thoughts: I am 6' 2" and about 175 pounds, with long arms. Don't know if this would factor into the ergonomics of the kukri but if so there it is.

I would much prefer a larger, longer kukri and have been thinking about the Ang Khola 18", Ang Khola 20", Hanuman Ang Khola, or one of the Ganga Ram Specials. As mentioned before I can only buy ONE kukri, so it needs to be the right tool for the job.

To be perfectly honest I've been partly considering a similar blades from Kukri House as they are currently about 35-50 percent of the price of an HI. I hear that HI has the superior product but that much of that comes from warranty and cosmetics. However, cosmetics mean nothing to me, just pure performance. Any thoughts on this, would it REALLY be worth it to get an HI for the purpose I have intended? Are the ergonomics/durability superior?

I have absolutely zero experience with kukris, so ANY input you guys can give me will be GREATLY appreciated.

chrisGhopte.jpg

It's really tough to beat a good Ganga Ram for serious chopping. I have a 21" monster that has taken apart downed 30' maple trees. I looked a lot like an ant cutting apart a grasshopper, but it's been a flawless chopping machine for over a decade.

I'm 5'10 195-ish with long arms. The GRS is my niche big chopper that only comes out when I need serious power.

If you want something more general purpose, I think an 18" AK would be a good bet.

Amar Singh Tapar. It's my Humvee of Kukris. Not super pretty but a strong beast and it shows. I like that. :D
Take it with a grain of salt since I own only 14 Kukris (2 Amar Singhs) from HI and thus can't compare all the models.
I also needed JUST ONE.
Now I still need just one more, every couple of weeks :D

If you have to depend on just one khukuri, then a better warranty can imply better quality and dependability to start with. If something goes wrong, it can be easier and quicker to deal with someone like Yangdu who runs the HI company in the USA (and the knives are shipped to the customer from Nevada), instead of dealing with a company in Kathmandu that ships from Nepal.

Since cosmetics aren't an issue for you, occasionally there are blems available at reduced prices, posted as Deals of the Day here at the forum, but there is usually some competition for these deals.

Himalayan Imports won't be cutting corners on the quality. As for the various khukuri houses, I just don't know. I've seen some photos of khukuri house khuks that people received which show little to no distal taper on the spine of the blade (and little to no taper on the steel within the chiruwa handle), which can be easier to make because less forging is required, but the knife ends up being heavier and perhaps not well balanced. Among my flock of HI khuks, I have a black sheep from one of the khukuri houses, and it has an acceptable distal taper, and so far it seems okay (I don't use it much), but it seems to be built kinda sloppy compared to my khuks from HI.

I bought only one khuk from the khukuri houses, but I continue to buy khuks from HI.

I agree totally with Mr. Tall. When I see limbing and smallish trees, my first thought is always KLVUK. Also to me an excellent first choice just to see if a Khukri is a good fit for you.

Certainly all of the above are more beastly, longer, heavier and more serious, also much more refined and well gosh durn pretty.

The KLVUK heres a test question??? That stands for Keshar Lal Villager Utility Knife. I think, I'm still an undergraduate here.
But the KLVUK is more what the folks over there in Nepal use themselves in their day to day task.

To some not near as pretty although I find them appealing. But that also makes it scream USE ME far more than the others which I and I'm sure others find difficult to take that first swing with. They are almost an art form. When you get one you'll know what I'm talking about.

So for my nickels worth I'd get a KLVUK and chop the world with it, then if you feel the need step up to one of the bigger badder boys in the line up.

For what's it worth I don't consider any of the HI knives really high priced for what they are. Sure they are a lot of money but worth every red cent in my book. I just wish I had more red cents to buy more.

Klvuk is kind of sufficient for small trees. A bigger Kukri (hint hint) however is faster and a Swiss Army knife slower :D However All would work, that's true :p

Chopped a 1x2 through with 30 swings of the kvluk. The wood was not on a block and bounced a bit and I'm not the best chopper. The Amar Singh took 2 swings. The 2nd one was just to break through a few remaining fibers.
The Kvluk actually cut its way through, while the AMar Singh kind of karate chop like broke the wood in this case. Of course with a proper tree it will also have to cut like its smaller brother. Still will be much faster.

Welcome to the HI Forum, FreakMeat!

Always remember- when buying from any of the houses. one must factor in the cost of international shipping rates which are currently at about $70.
Their warranty is usually only 20 days from date of purchase and in cases of warranty return they will usually ask you to place another order with them to facilitate replacement.

If you want the full on warranty (limited lifetime) from HI. I would recommend going with the models specifically listed in the warranty.
For your stated height and weight and usage, I myself would recommend to you the 18" Ang Khola or Chiruwa Ang Khola. Plenty big enough, for your uses.
At 20" the Ang Khola is a beast and nearly chops by itself with it's own weight. You will find this a bit more fatiguing and harder to stop your swing unless you are strong. That is why the store website says "Unless you are physically fit and have serious chopping to get done, opt for something smaller."

Please be advised that HI has been experiencing some logistics problems as of late and some models on the website may or may not be readily available.
Probably best for you to send an email to Auntie Yangdu at himimp@aol.com to inquire as to availability before placing an order.

Please also be sure to read the warranty and safety stickies:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/653192-Himalayan-Imports-Limited-Lifetime-Warranty
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...t-and-Greatest-Safety-Thread-REQUIRED-READING!

A big Kukri fatigues more per swing, obviously. But you'll need less swings which means net you could be less fatigued with the big one.

Swing a super light butter knife for hours to bring down a tree or spend a few minutes with something heavier?
:p

FM:

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find that people don't get flamed here for asking honest questions. At worst you might be directed to a more appropriate forum, but your question is completely legitimate.

I think the KLVUK recommendation is the best, especially since you are on a limited budget and don't care about cosmetics. You can use the search box (upper right hand corner) to find postings about the KLVUK, including photos and specs. It's a little smaller than the 18" models that you mention, but for "limbing and chopping up smallish trees" it should be adequate.

The thing is, those larger, heavier khukuris will do a faster job on a tree trunk, but for cutting off limbs the lighter KLVUK will be a lot less tiring, especially if you have to reach up or out to get to the limbs. Also, you would have the option of using the KLVUK on the limbs and a axe on the trunk.

Some of the offerings from competing companies might be perfectly ok, but it's a hit-or-miss proposition and returning a blade to Nepal for exchange is both expensive and time-consuming.

I recommend sending Yangdu an email. Explain your needs and ask what she might have available. You'll be dealing with an actual person -- a very nice person -- not some giant corporation. You can also watch this forum for DOTDs (Deals Of The Day), but those tend to go very fast (often within minutes) and if you're not sure what you want, the hesitation will cause you to miss any particular deal.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. Preferably with pictures.

-- Dave

High Price? this on a site where the "Average" folder in the knife makers section is about $400 and the average fixed seems to be $300 ish. I find HI blades pretty reasonably priced actually. But I can understand not being able to afford large collections too. That said, I think if you know what your planned usage is and select the appropriate blade for the use, 1 HI blade can be the correct number.

CAK. Chiruwa Ang Kola--best heavy duty chopper HI (or anybody) makes. Used mine extensively on dried out Modesto Ash anywhere from 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter (maybe even thicker). Also warranteed as a pry bar.

CAK, bonecutter, ang khola, M43, or a Ganga Ram would be my first choices.

Bonecutter and the Ganga Ram are my favorite hard use choppers. The WWII is my favorite all around kukri.

CAK, bonecutter, ang khola, M43, or a Ganga Ram would be my first choices.

Bonecutter and the Ganga Ram are my favorite hard use choppers. The WWII is my favorite all around kukri.

If you find a Bonecutter for sale, please tell me where before you tell Freakmeat. Cause I want to buy it first.

I'm actually amazed by the sheer amount of replies left here within one day while I was at work. I'm grateful for all the thoughtful input, and thank you all individually. :D

What type of trees do you anticipate chopping, and what diameter limbs or trunks?

I have what I call a "miniforest" in the backyard and the trees are mostly dead and dry Ash ranging from 6 inch diameter trunk to perhaps 16-18 inch, so nothing too fancy. However I also have some fallen limbs lying around from a HUGE oak tree that I like to tangle with now and then when I'm feeling feisty. I intend to dismantle them all one by one. I've gotten a good start with my POS 36" axe but it's a dull, unwieldy tool and I seek to "branch out," no pun intended.

I think the KLVUK recommendation is the best, especially since you are on a limited budget and don't care about cosmetics. You can use the search box (upper right hand corner) to find postings about the KLVUK, including photos and specs. It's a little smaller than the 18" models that you mention, but for "limbing and chopping up smallish trees" it should be adequate.

The thing is, those larger, heavier khukuris will do a faster job on a tree trunk, but for cutting off limbs the lighter KLVUK will be a lot less tiring, especially if you have to reach up or out to get to the limbs. Also, you would have the option of using the KLVUK on the limbs and a axe on the trunk.

I actually was thinking the same thing, and hilariously enough I can already FEEL that I'm likely going to get the Kukri addiction at some point in the future. After all, doesn't it make perfect sense to have a smaller, more intermediate blade AS WELL as a heavy chopper? ;)

Always remember- when buying from any of the houses. one must factor in the cost of international shipping rates which are currently at about $70.
Their warranty is usually only 20 days from date of purchase and in cases of warranty return they will usually ask you to place another order with them to facilitate replacement.

One of the suppliers has them on Amazon and they ship from the states with the standard 8 dollars per pound or whatever shipping rate, so for example the 15" "Villager" models cost about 70 bucks. The 20" 4 pound models are about 130 total. Very competitively priced, but I do understand where you are coming from on the warranty/hit or miss potential of these kukris. Perhaps I will purchase a cheap, 70 dollar "Villager" from them and a larger chopper from HI, then I could compare the quality. That seems like a reasonable option, and one I could afford.

JayGoliath, what is the the Kukri model you posted? Looks like a 20 inch Ang Khola but I can't tell for sure.

Back