1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Best Survival knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by lbrf2020wimb, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Oh man, headband attachment! Of course! Woodpecker bush crafting. Hands are free to grip while your head showers the ground with feather sticks and kindling. Next level brother. Next level...

2. JJHollowman

JJHollowman

Jul 16, 2016
    I tried "idea-cutting" some summer sausage. I thought about it in slices and how good a sammich would taste and how much more fun prom would have been had they served sliced summer sausage. Then I picked up the sausage and gnawed a big hunk off the end because no matter how much I wanted it sliced the idea-knife didn't work.

stonproject and Cursum Perficio like this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Maybe a SAK. But it would be a lot handier with an auto-flat head.

Your comment really funny!

4. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero Triple B Handmade, Custom Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 22, 2014
    Haha the woodpecker visual got me Rollin :D

Eli Chaps likes this.
  5. panella

panella

Sep 2, 2003
    Wow, I don’t think I’ve seen so much “thread drift” and hijacking in awhile. OP asks a straightforward question about two knives he likes. Now we’re getting ridicule and non-sequiters. :rolleyes:

Maybe the OP can chime back in and update us on his decision?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  6. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Cast iron pipe? Framing hammer? :D

7. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Really?

8. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    In before closed.

User27, gunslinger387 and marcinek like this.
  9. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    The best survival knife is an enormous titanium alloy wilderness sword smatchet, with a hollow handle. In the handle should be fishing line and hooks, strike-anywhere matches with heads coated in paraffin, moleskin, a compass, a small knife, and 10 lbs of beef jerky.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    jux t, hugofeynman, stabman and 7 others like this.
  10. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    I think I may have one of those...…

n2s

DeadboxHero likes this.
  11. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    So, to sum this up:

1. You can make a fire and survive even without a knife. It's harder, but not impossible.

2. You want a tough blade that won't break. All edge retention of the world won't do much if your knife breaks.

3. Super steel sounds good, but what when it goes dull?

4. Is it better to have rusted or broken knife/chipped/rolled edge? I'd rather risk some corrosion...

5. Having an axe or something sure comes handy, the more stuff you can carry - the better. But majority of people will usyally only carry a knife.

6. The size... it will vary from individual to individual, I would say between 4 and 7 inches.

7. Survival mostly depends on you, and then on your knife, so working on yourself and your skills should be the priority.

Thomas Linton likes this.
  12. Zeunerite

Zeunerite

Dec 24, 2019
    My choice for a survival knife would be a hori hori. A japanese knife that cuts AND digs.

gunslinger387 and Smiling like this.
  13. User27

User27

Apr 23, 2017
    What I got out of his post is that a knife isn't just some dull,useless object
    its a tool that can have many potential uses,and the design of the blade
    may remind you of other knives you might have handled in the past...
    I don't know which song he is talking about though :/

I didn't read what the original poster asked.Instead of helping him decide
    whether the Bark River or the Fallkniven was the better knife out of the 2
    I thought it was funny to recommend him the Bear Grylls Knife and a jar
    of pee...I'm so silly :oops::D