Best way to get an HTM?

2011-10-08121408.jpg

Here's a shot of the knife closed. You can see how thick the lock is (nearly 1/16" IIRC from last time I measured it).

2011-10-08121425.jpg

Here's the knife open. Unlike some locks, it doesn't extend to the middle of the spine, but the blade is tapered.

2011-10-08121701.jpg

Here's a view of the lock again from a different angle. It doesn't look like it extends clear down the knife; I suspect a shorter locking bar is harder to bend, because the leverage isn't as great.

2011-10-08121751.jpg

I noticed that there's a ball bearing built into the lock. Helps the knife fly open. I really like this design; my HK 14650 is the same way, and I suspect if this were a manual knife, it would still fly open quickly.

2011-10-08121545.jpg

Here's 2 other liner locks next to the HTM. The far side is the Phat Bob, which is clearly thinner. The next is the ZT 0350, which is beefy, but doesn't look quite as thick as the GH.

Hope that helps. I'll take this lock over a framelock any day. I think it's more comfortable having that ETAC handle be full coverage, and I don't think it sacrifices anything in the way of lock strength, even though I prefer an AXIS or BBL lock to a frame or liner lock.

I prefer an AXIS or BBL lock to a frame or liner lock.

I like the Axis, Triad and RIL a lot. The only reason I'd disagree would be that with this lock mechanism, you can't reinforce lock engagement when sqeezing the handle during hard use. Take Hinderer or Sebenza for example - the lock is held firmly in place by one's grip.

When used as a knife for what it's designed for (cutting instrument), any decently constructed lock should do the trick! :thumbup:

Last edited:
No disagreement here. I'm not saying they're better locks, just that I prefer them. Unless you're saying that a framelock can be reinforced that way while a linerlock can't? That would make sense. And I'd rather have the comfort than the added security in the extremely unlikely event that I could make a linerlock that beefy fail.

No disagreement here. I'm not saying they're better locks, just that I prefer them. Unless you're saying that a framelock can be reinforced that way while a linerlock can't? That would make sense. And I'd rather have the comfort than the added security in the extremely unlikely event that I could make a linerlock that beefy fail.

Surely a RIL lock type can be reinforced that way in most cases much easier than a linerlock can. Darrel's linerlock is certainly one of the largest I've seen and not anythong to worry about. That handle is solid aluminum - looked like G-10?? :confused:

It's machined aluminum, incredibly comfortable. ETAC I believe stands for Ergonomic tactical or something like that.

Boom. This picture says it all. It makes it much easier to visualize the size of the Gun Hammer's liner with some other liners next to it. That locking liner is easily twice the size of the locking frame on my Kershaw Shallot. Thanks for the photos, Falcon.

The Gun Hammer appears to have everything I've ever wanted in a good folding knife. Grippy, non-slip texturing, assisted opening, a beefy titanium lock, a sleek silhouette, black DLC coating, and S30V blade steel beautifully shaped into a wicked 4" upswept Bowie-style blade. When the 4" finally launches, odds are it will join my custom Reese Weiland as my primary EDC blade.

Can anyone comment on the assisted opening mechanism? Does it give a nice strong kick?

Curses. Darrel, you are bad for my wallet... Caved and bought that TNK GH with the copper handle and bowie blade. I should probably send in for my badge, assuming HTM knives make one eligible...

I checked out the "dealers" link pages, and many did not have the exact model I wanted.

Is it easier to just go to HTM's website and order the exact model I want?
Yes it is and unlike many makers you can actually email Darrel and get an answer. I freekin love my gunhammer.

I exchanged e-mails with Darrel to get my Gun Hammer. Go right to the top to get results!

The assisted openning on the Gun Hammer is the best I have ever used, it's smooth, quick, and locks up tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I exchanged e-mails with Darrel to get my Gun Hammer. Go right to the top to get results!

The assisted openning on the Gun Hammer is the best I have ever used, it's smooth, quick, and locks up tight.

Pictures or it never happened!

Darrel designed the assist with help from the late Blackie Collins.

Back