Better quality knife, forging or stock removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim , "steel companies wouldn't invest in hot rolling ". They hot roll because there isn't really any other way to make sheet or strip from an ingot, it has nothing to do with "edge packing"....... Xrayed, Bagwells knives get their properties from other things, heat treatment etc, not "edge packing". As far as Nessie - there was a scientist who was involved in looking for Nessie, unsuccessfully, and concluded this - There is nothing in science so strong as to be able to kill a myth. But for Nessie it should also be a vorpal blade.

Originally posted by mete
As far as Nessie - there was a scientist who was involved in looking for Nessie, unsuccessfully, and concluded this - There is nothing in science so strong as to be able to kill a myth. But for Nessie it should also be a vorpal blade.

Robert I like that :)

"They hot roll because there isn't really any other way to make sheet or strip from an ingot"

I am confused. I see Admiral Steel offering cold rolled and hot rolled steel sheets and strips. Is Admiral lying about being able to cold roll steel? ;)

You're right - it may very well have nothing to do with edge packing.... But then, why do it? What is the advantage to hot rolled steel? I am not asking this facetiously, I would really like to know.

Tim

P.S. The "edge packing" debate is one I have no desire to get into. I don't have the technical knowledge (I question some who claim to have it :rolleyes:) or the desire to discuss something that I really don't care about. When I can get a freakin' false edge, eliminate inclusions in my cable damascus, perfect my pewter bolster casting, forge fullers into a blade, forge a double edged blade, and learn all the other aspects of bladesmithing I need to learn - then I'll get into the "edge packing" debate...

Tim , let's start out with the old blacksmiths comment - 'strike while the iron is hot'. They say that because iron is much easier to work when hot . When you start out with a large ingot and make for example 1/8" sheet it would be very difficult to do cold. Cold rolled is a finishing treatment. Usually the material is hot rolled to near final dimension then the scale removed . it is then cold rolled to final dimension . This gives better control of dimensions and surface finish. With tool steels the steel is often also precision ground which removes decarburization and gives even better dimensional control. If you're doing stock removal start with cold rolled, if you are forging use hot rolled.

C’mon mete, you didn’t think I would let you have all the fun on this one did you?

I should start with,:) :) :) :) because I have grown so tired of trying to slay this mythical beast that I know I must appear to not have a smile on my face. :) I would also like to say that I have had this conversation far too many times for any of my comments to be directed at any one person.

All modern steel is forged! Both the stuff that is ground and the stuff us smiths abuse. So this is a moot point. Steel as-cast in the ingot would be fairly unusable without the benefits gained from heavy deformation breaking up dendritic structures, inclusions and clustered constituents as well closing up pipe and other voids. That is the reason mills do the hot rolling. But they do it, so it has already been done well beyond our capacity with a cross peen, and a few heats, to improve upon.

The largest rollers ever made by man only elongates and deforms steel, to achieve this end. I, as well as all the laws of physics, can guarantee there is no “packing” going on. I too really wish the term “edge packing” could be erased from our vocabulary; it makes us look like a bunch of uneducated fools whenever it is used. By the eight grade most folks have learned that unless you are shooting for a titanic, radioactive mushroom cloud, or have a black hole in your shop, you cannot pack atoms tighter than they want to be. These are non-negotiable laws that cannot be changed no matter how famous a name spouts the opposite. I would argue this one with Jesus himself, if he didn’t have some serious help from his old man. And that is the guy I now refer folks to when they want to argue “edge packing”. I simply tell them to take it up with God, I didn’t design the universe, he did.

When I first started attending smithing gatherings years ago, I would occasionally encounter packing being alluded to, but we have come a long way in a fairly short time and even the old proponents of it shy away from looking too foolish with it. And yet it persists, I don’t know where it keeps sprouting from.

Now there are mechanisms by which recrystalization can be accelerated by grain boundary strain induced via plastic deformation, and I am always happy to debate the effectiveness of this versus proper heat treating procedures, but I am not going to bother with the validity of squeezing iron atoms with a hammer.

Aside from being metallurgicaly invalid (for the most part) this notion of the forged blade being superior is fairly arrogant of us bladesmiths. I am quite surprised a stock remover hasn’t slipped one of his products between the ribs of a condescending smith spouting the superiority of his method. It speaks well of the patience and good nature of our grinding brothers. I feel safe in saying that most of the forged blades that out-cut the ground ones did so because the user wanted them to and needed to believe they would. :) :) :) :)

Originally posted by mete
...There is nothing in science so strong as to be able to kill a myth. But for Nessie it should also be a vorpal blade.

I have always been fascinated with the "vorpal blade", most folks assume that it means incredibly sharp, or something similar. But it is nothing more than one more nonsensical word from Lewis Carroll's poem. It is an interesting case of a word that started as pure jibberish but, through the assumptions of the public, has acquired meaning and has been adopted into our language. Carrol gives no indication as to what vorpal could mean, but I do know that such a blade will go "snicker-snack"! But you are probably correct, considering the job it can do on a Jabberwockey, such a blade should work on Nessie.

Originally posted by Kevin R. Cashen
....And yet it persists, I don’t know where it keeps sprouting from.

:) Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, you of all people should know that edge packing only works when the blade is forged pointing in the North-South direction.

:D :D

-Darren

:)
Kevin, I have been sticking it in their ribs for years over that issue. All I do is piss them off and they don't talk to me :D

On a side note, back in the early 90s, "packing the edge" on D2 was a hot issue. I had two bladesmith friends do some skinners for me and I heat treated them as usual. I ended up getting most of them back with the complaint that they didn't cut as good as they expected them to with a "packed edge" :) I sure learned my lesson.

Thanks Mete! I always was curious as to the difference there. It makes more sense now.

You know Kevin - I like your rants. My mom was born and raised in Michigan and I think it's something you folks are exceptionally gifted at (She doesn't live here, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, don't show my mother this post....:) ). :D As I said, I don't know if I believe in this edge packing thing or not (don't think it's the most important thing to me now anyway), but it is interesting to hear both sides.

There was an interesting debate not too long ago in the performance room where I almost went nuts trying to tell these guys that a forged blade doesn't produce a "more balanced" blade than a stock removal blade, and that the ABS test was just 1 test to see if you could make a blade that could do A,B and C - it wasn't a test that declared for all time that A,B and C are what all blades must do.

Personally I think of bladesmithing like deer hunting. Deer are where you find them just like performance in a blade is where you find it... I just keep doing what I find works. This is one reason I do the much ridiculed normalizing while pointing magnetic north. I need to normalize it anyway after beatin' the crap out of it...why not just point it north? (I think this started with you southern guys pointing your blades at us Yankies. ;-) ) If it's working - great. If it doesn't - who freaking knows or even cares? One thing it does help me to do is get my mind focused on what I am doing and not about the game, work next day or whatever else wants to distract me from the task at hand.

Speaking of the ABS test: Kit, you can only stab snot-nosed forgers like us with blades that will pass the 90 degree flex test...lol.

Tim

P.S. "There is nothing in science so strong as to be able to kill a myth." How much of science is base on nothing but pure faith in what may potentially be myth, perpetuated as natural "law"? Yeah, my teachers hated me.

Originally posted by TimWieneke
Tim
P.S. "There is nothing in science so strong as to be able to kill a myth." How much of science is base on nothing but pure faith in what may potentially be myth, perpetuated as natural "law"? :) Yeah, my teachers hated me.

The physicist in me so badly wants to respond to the above quote Tim, ...but I won't. :p :rolleyes:

:D

-Darren

"The physicist in me so badly wants to respond to the above quote Tim, ...but I won't."

The teacher in me wants to give me a detention for being a smart alek. ;)

Tim

I'm "edge packing". Got my Rossdeutshcer tanto right now. :)

Kevin, I knew you'd join in......Tim, we can , through xray diffraction techniques, measure the dimensions of the crystals in the steel. If we compressed the steel we could measure the change in crystal dimensions.....As far as myths and science - sadly there are some that would call themselves scientists but are not scientific in their thinking .That's why there is the website www.junkscience.com.

The teacher in me wants to give me a detention for being a smart alek. ;)
Tim

Hey Tim --- :D :D

Hey Mete, cool site, I'd not run into that one before, thanks for posting that link!

g'night guys, it's late. :)

-Darren

Originally posted by Darren Ellis
:) Kevin, Kevin, Kevin, you of all people should know that edge packing only works when the blade is forged pointing in the North-South direction.

:D :D

-Darren

And you must be careful never to hit the tip of the tang. A sharp rap from a hammer on the tip of the tang will knock the packing out of the blade, just like cracking a whip!

Geuss what? I didn't make that one up. The above tip has actually been passed around some bladesmithing circles! :eek:
I heard it attributed to a very well known smith that I will not divilge since it is heresay. How can ANYBODY take these guys seriously?

Tim, I am glad you like my tirades. I am beginning to feel a little self conscious about the fact that most people have only seen me blasting something when I post here. The fact is I came here a little too late, after having had so many of the same conversations elsewhere, when I was fresh, energetic and more diplomatic at candy coating things. I am not a ranter by nature, but when I see something that is just plain wrong, I can’t learn to keep my mouth shut.

...There was an interesting debate not too long ago in the performance room where I almost went nuts trying to tell these guys that a forged blade doesn't produce a "more balanced" blade than a stock removal blade...

Wow! I can sympathize! More balanced? I think that makes less sense than atomic forging. But then if you can pack atoms tighter it would affect the atomic weight and you could certainly change the balance points. But I would think all of that denser, heavier iron at the edge and the tip would make things a little blade heavy.

...and that the ABS test was just 1 test to see if you could make a blade that could do A,B and C - it wasn't a test that declared for all time that A,B and C are what all blades must do.

I think both the ABS and it's testing system has done wonderful things to advance bladesmithing, but I also believe that widespread misinterpretation of that test has hurt knifemaking in many ways. I wished more people still believed that the purpose of a knife was to cut things. It is a great test of a smith and his skill in heat treating, but it falls far short of a test,or standard, for a good knife.

As for the pointing north in normalizing and quenching, the way I look at it is “if it feels good do it!”. I respect the guys that say “I don’t know if it does a thing but it can’t hurt and I feel better when I do it” . I would do the hokey pokey wearing a nun’s habit while I heat-treated if I thought it would make things come out the way I wanted. It is the guys that start inventing new science, or pulling theories out of their colon to explain it as fact to an unsuspecting public that I cannot remain silent about.

Originally posted by Kit Carson
Kevin, I have been sticking it in their ribs for years over that issue. All I do is piss them off and they don't talk to me :D ...

:D :D Just makes sure that you keep sticking it to them. It makes more sense for you to do it than me, after all, I am a bladesmith:confused:!

There are times I have wondered if this whole priority on a knife being a fancy crowbar thing didn't come about after bladesmiths made claims about cutting performance that couldn't hold up, so we just changed the rules about what a knife should be. "O.K. we can't out-cut the grinder guys, so uhhmmm... knives aren't for cutting anyhow! Yeah! Thats it! Knives are for prying! Yeah! Thats the ticket! We can out-crowbar you stock removers! The forged blade is better!"

Stainless or high carbon,
Harleys and Jap bikes,
Chevys and Fords...

They all do the same thing, just a little differently.

We all get a little passionate.

I know we are discussing a better blade but I tend to look at it from the perspective of why I started to forge...to learn as much as I could about this thing we call knifemaking. Not to leave a stone unturned.

Which is better? From my limited experience, neither. But the kid in me says at least with forging you get to play with fire and hit stuff with a hammer! :D

I still end up grinding in the end but I must admit, I do spend a lot less time at the grinder.

The biggest plus that forging has, it lends itself to where you can make your own damascus (or pattern welded steel).

On a humorous note.

Forging is like getting religion...
Some see the light, others feel the heat! :D

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back