Better sheath for S1 bowie?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Just got a sog bowie and I love it, but the sheath isn't very impressive. Where can I get a better quality sheath in a similar style? would it have to be custom made? What sheaths have other s1 users gotten? Thanks in advance.

I don't have the S1 but I do have the S2 which is the same shape and size as the S1. I found that my S2 fits very well in the sheath that was made for my Recon Bowie. It was just a little tight at first and caught ever so slightly at the last have inch but not enough for me to worry about. If you get a chance to hold the two blades one on top of each other then its not so surprising that the S2 fits so well in the Recon Bowie's sheath.

I made one for someone. I didn't get to have the knife here, had to work with a scan of the blade and spine thickness measurements, but it turned out pretty decent.

sog_bowie.jpg

Burf,

my pal Levergun at Levergun Leatherworks can make up a sheath for you.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. if you don't want the S1 sheath, send it on over to me, I have a WWII-issue Kabar Mark 1 that would make good use of it.

p.p.s. Vess, that's a very nice piece of work you did there !!!

I already have a Seal Pup which is a outstanding knife, I bought a Recondo for xmas....
Both I think have poor sheaths, in fact the Recondo is the worst on any quailty knife I've every owned!!! Tried to draw it went attacted to a belt and the lot came off in my hand.
SOG PLEASE DO BETTER WITH YOUR KNIFE SHEATHS!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Got a sheath for my bowie from Vess. It is outstanding! :thumbup: better design/fit than original, and looks absolutely beautiful. Everybody with an S1 bowie NEEDS one of these! It is that nice. :cool:

I actually got the S1 Bowie knife for myself last week. Wow. I got the 2005 edition, and I love it.

As far as I can tell, the coating is dark black and shiny, not the matte type or blued finish I see in the pictures. And on the back of the blade there is no writing except for "2005 Special Edition" logo near the spine. Apparently these are made in limited quantities a few times a year. Specs such as finish can be different on special edition models, but I can't find any info on the one I have.

This is the logo from SOG website and it is what is on the blade:
Special-Ed-Logo.gif

And the link to Special Edition page:
http://www.sogknives.com/special/index.htm#

And this looks like the knife I have, with black shiny coating:
S1T-large.jpg

I thought I was buying a .280" gun blued version, but received this .200" black coated version instead. So I think I actually got a Bowie II (SOG-S1T), not the standard Bowie (SOG-S1).

I actually didn't quite know what to make of it. The store I got it from had the Bowie (S1) for $185 (this is the amount I was charged), and the Bowie II (S1T) for $149. The blade I have is not .280" thick, so it can't be the Bowie S1. There's no mention of blade thickness on Bowie II (S1T) on their website. So at first I thought about calling up the store and letting them know this is not the right model (I specifically asked for .280" blade thickness as a note with my order), but then again this is a Special Edition blade, I'm certain worth the extra $35. And shipping back and forth with customs/taxes every step of the way? Ouch! The thought left my mind as fast as it arrived.

And the thing is, I do like the way it looks and feels. The finish is not that important to me, and I can always fake the thickness with thin cardboards when someone wants the S1 sheath with .280" thick blade. So I decided to keep it and enjoy it. Although knowing it's a special edition I guess I won't be abusing it the way I normally would... :)

Vess,

Congrats !!!

But I'm most definitely confused: the blade is only .200" thick ??
That's a whole lot smaller than what I would guess, my guess being it "should be" at least .240" to be consistent with the other newer & similar SOG models.

Chris@SOG most definitely needs to tell us what's going on here.

Cheers,

Carl

Yep, just measured it again in the light of day with 2 different rulers (my remaining caliper is not very precise, I sat on the good one and bent it).

The spine near the guard is a hair over 3/16" or precisely 5mm thick. So that's 0.19865", so practically 0.2" thick. I checked the thickness near the guard, and from both sides (spine and blade side), and the thickness is the same.

I think I actually prefer it this way. It's still very sturdy and solid, and yet not so thick that it can't be used for utility purposes. I'll snap off a few pictures of it in daylight tomorrow.

Okay, took some pictures of mine. Couldn't get the ruler on the blade to hold still, but I did put it next to the blade to show how reflective the finish is.

sog_bowie_knife.jpg

Edit:
Used the crappy dollar store caliper and the ruler on top of it for thickness shots.

thockness_sog.jpg

OH YEH !!!

Great Pictures, Thank You Very Much !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. I'd still like to hear from Chris@SOG re. the thickness of the blade. :rolleyes: :)

Ship it back before its two late! At least get a Tech Bowie or a Trident II. That Bowie II is a long way from an S1. Don't take no for an answer. Its their mistake they should pay for it! And as far as I know the Bowie II only ever came in a Special Edition so no deal there.

if I may muddy the water by adding my 2cents.... I know I'm spoiled on the .280" thickness of the S1. Matter of fact, Mr SOG has me so spoiled that any blade less than .250" is too thin for me. Well, with the exception of the SOG Recon Bowie of course.

But if you're diggin' it, then it is the right one to have !!!!

Cheers,

Carl

Back