Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Those look like a couple of fantastic pubs David, particularly the Turf Tavern :) How could we have lost so many places like that? :(

Social changes Jack. There's just not the sort of folks about who drink the amount of beer anymore. :(
Got this as take out from the Turf. It was not bad but not as amazing as everyone claims.
oewydNC.jpg

-David.

Social changes Jack. There's just not the sort of folks about who drink the amount of beer anymore. :(
Got this as take out from the Turf. It was not bad but not as amazing as everyone claims.
oewydNC.jpg

-David.

I guess that even us boozers don't drink like just about everyone did here a few decades back. I always remind people of that once-common phrase (for being a little drunk), "He's had one over the eight" - eight pints being a perfectly normal amount to drink! :D Which it was! That, and more :thumbsup:

When I lived in London briefly in the late 1970's, and you couldn't find a decent pint anywhere there, White Shield was something to look out for, but I never thought it was a great beer, just a decent one. I think it is only in the past decade that it has acquired mythic status :thumbsup:

Jack, growing up in the Midwest (Missouri) in the '70s we didn't have access to a lot of imported beers, but I always loved Bass Pale Ale. Now that craft beers and imports from all countries are commonly available, I still like Bass but never seem to buy it anymore, always finding something a little more interesting. I've really been drinking a lot of Founders (several varieties) lately, and mostly Samuel Smith's from the island.

abdkdJP.jpg

C2TVoqA.jpg

Last edited:
My parents wanted to loan my dog for a few days so I got nothing but free time. Wen’t for unsocial beer.

yVC0ta9.jpg

It’s rauchbier, smoky German beer, one of my favorites. Starts to taste good now that the weather is getting colder and darker.

I guess that even us boozers don't drink like just about everyone did here a few decades back. I always remind people of that once-common phrase (for being a little drunk), "He's had one over the eight" - eight pints being a perfectly normal amount to drink! :D Which it was! That, and more :thumbsup:

Never heard that saying before Jack but I like it.:thumbsup: I guess it comes from a time when the beer was a lot stronger than what it was now as well :)
And your right things have changed. I'm younger than you but I remember working in warehousing in the mid-90's. I worked in Lewis's department store in Manchester. Lunch was at noon and we could get from the 3rd floor warehouse to the bar of the Shakespeare pub in "under 90 seconds". :D
4 (or 5 pints) for our (mainly) liquid lunch then back in for another 6 hours. I'm not aware of any workplace were something like that still goes on :(

My parents wanted to loan my dog for a few days so I got nothing but free time. Wen’t for unsocial beer.

yVC0ta9.jpg

It’s rauchbier, smoky German beer, one of my favorites. Starts to taste good now that the weather is getting colder and darker.

That looks like a great place to be unsocial :D:thumbsup: I think theres a few folk on here looking forward to winter so they can enjoy some winter ales :thumbsup:

Oh for a pub without a tv.
Instead they get bigger and bigger tv's and put them everywhere.
At my present local The Planet of The Apes Hotel ,Corrimal NSW.
It's like a showroom displaying miniature home cinema screens. It's nearly 10 bux for a schooner of at best ...ordinary craft beer...So they can get stuffed.

It's like a showroom displaying miniature home cinema screens. It's nearly 10 bux for a schooner of at best ...ordinary craft beer...So they can get stuffed.
And no juke boxes or bands either.

Yes, it's getting so a fellow needs to carry earplugs just to be able to enjoy a quiet meal or drink -- even at a fast food joint!

Your comment reminded me of a story a wife of a friend once told. She was in school (don't recall if high school or college) and was on some sort of exchange program that took her to England. She was at some sort of fancy dinner and, upon being offered more to eat, replied, "No thank you, I'm stuffed." She said she got some horrified looks... :confused: :D

Jack, growing up in the Midwest (Missouri) in the '70s we didn't have access to a lot of imported beers, but I always loved Bass Pale Ale. Now that craft beers and imports from all countries are commonly available, I still like Bass but never seem to buy it anymore, always finding something a little more interesting. I've really been drinking a lot of Founders (several varieties) lately, and mostly Samuel Smith's from the island.

abdkdJP.jpg

C2TVoqA.jpg

I've always liked Bass Jeff, one of the first draught beers I ever drank in a pub, don't come across it so much these days. Very occasionally, if I see Bass on draught, I'll have a pint. I worked in a pub for a few months in 1982. There was an old feller used to sit in the corner all night, a sort of 'Colonel' type (more likely a disgruntled corporal), being unpleasant to everyone around him - an old sod to be honest. About once an hour, he would come to the bar. Wouldn't say a word, the miserable old so-and so, just stand there, and you were supposed to know from his mere presence (as you did, because you were warned in advance) that he wanted two bottles of 'Blue Bass'. When he'd had enough though. and decided to bugger off home, he'd come to the bar, just like before, and again, you were expected to know he wanted two bottles of 'Blue Bass', but you were not to take the cap off one, as he would take that home with him. Always think of the rotten old man when I think of Bass unfortunately. He'll be dead years ago, no doubt...

Founders do some lovely beers :) I am lucky to be able to get hold of draught Sam Smiths at many local pubs, and it's very inexpensive here (though the bottles are dearer) :thumbsup:

Virtually the same here Jack, we must be kin :D

yVC0ta9.jpg

Bonfires and bacon in a glass :) That looks like a good pub there :thumbsup:

Never heard that saying before Jack but I like it.:thumbsup: I guess it comes from a time when the beer was a lot stronger than what it was now as well :)
And your right things have changed. I'm younger than you but I remember working in warehousing in the mid-90's. I worked in Lewis's department store in Manchester. Lunch was at noon and we could get from the 3rd floor warehouse to the bar of the Shakespeare pub in "under 90 seconds". :D
4 (or 5 pints) for our (mainly) liquid lunch then back in for another 6 hours. I'm not aware of any workplace were something like that still goes on :(

That looks like a great place to be unsocial :D:thumbsup: I think theres a few folk on here looking forward to winter so they can enjoy some winter ales :thumbsup:

Really David, I am surprised, but maybe I am giving my age away! :D It was very common here once :) I think the average ABV of a standard bitter was still only 4-5% then, less for mild, more for some other beers, but folks just drank a lot more of it, despite the restrictive licensing laws. I think lunchtime drinking was the norm, and most blokes went to the pub every night of the week :thumbsup:

And no juke boxes or bands either.

Yes, it's getting so a fellow needs to carry earplugs just to be able to enjoy a quiet meal or drink -- even at a fast food joint!

Then all you gents would love all of Sam Smith's pubs. Humphrey Smith. who owns the brewery, refuses to allow music or tv's in ANY of his pubs. The ale may vary in quality but at least you can hear yourself think :):thumbsup:

I've always liked Bass Jeff, one of the first draught beers I ever drank in a pub, don't come across it so much these days. Very occasionally, if I see Bass on draught, I'll have a pint. I worked in a pub for a few months in 1982. There was an old feller used to sit in the corner all night, a sort of 'Colonel' type (more likely a disgruntled corporal), being unpleasant to everyone around him - an old sod to be honest. About once an hour, he would come to the bar. Wouldn't say a word, the miserable old so-and so, just stand there, and you were supposed to know from his mere presence (as you did, because you were warned in advance) that he wanted two bottles of 'Blue Bass'. When he'd had enough though. and decided to bugger off home, he'd come to the bar, just like before, and again, you were expected to know he wanted two bottles of 'Blue Bass', but you were not to take the cap off one, as he would take that home with him. Always think of the rotten old man when I think of Bass unfortunately. He'll be dead years ago, no doubt...

Really David, I am surprised, but maybe I am giving my age away! :D It was very common here once :) I think the average ABV of a standard bitter was still only 4-5% then, less for mild, more for some other beers, but folks just drank a lot more of it, despite the restrictive licensing laws. I think lunchtime drinking was the norm, and most blokes went to the pub every night of the week :thumbsup:

Another great story Jack :thumbsup: But what was 'Blue Bass'?
I was thinking about the strength of beers prior to WWI. You probably know this actually but the strength of beer we drink today was bought about due to rationing in two World Wars. The article I read years ago described the beer drank in the 18th and 19th centuries. From what I recall Porters were moderate strength beers; ~6% to 8%. What we call Stout these days was 'Stout Porter', literally a stronger Porter, and could be up to 10%. Milds were just that, a milder version of Porter, and were not the weak drink we know today, but ranged from 4.5% to over 6%. Think of today's Rugate's Ruby Mild at 4.5% or Sarah Hughes Mild at 6%.
What we now call Bitter was always about the 3.9% mark but 'Best Bitter' was stronger. Today Best can be anything over 4%.
All this changed with WWI when the government rationed malted barley and also fuel; and some argue that was what started the gradual decline of milds/porters/stouts in this country in favour of the lighter ales.
Burton Ales are interesting as many were brewed for foreign export. Last years Good Beer Guide states that Bass was once available in 6 different versions ranging from 6% to 11.5%! A quick google says it's 4.4% now :rolleyes:
There's still some pubs that serve a decent pint of Bass, though not knowing what it used to be like I can't compare. If your on a hunt Jack, The Cross Foxes in Shrewsbury, Coopers in Burton-upon-Trent and the Town Wall Tavern in Coventry, I know for a fact all serve a passable pint of Bass still. :thumbsup:

Jack, I'm afraid that if I found a bar that served Sam Smith on draft, I'd be like Norm on Cheers. Their India Pale and Oatmeal Stout are unsurpassed throughout the world.

The best sitcom ever written :thumbsup:
zZwSw5M.jpg

-David.

Another great story Jack :thumbsup: But what was 'Blue Bass'?
I was thinking about the strength of beers prior to WWI. You probably know this actually but the strength of beer we drink today was bought about due to rationing in two World Wars. The article I read years ago described the beer drank in the 18th and 19th centuries. From what I recall Porters were moderate strength beers; ~6% to 8%. What we call Stout these days was 'Stout Porter', literally a stronger Porter, and could be up to 10%. Milds were just that, a milder version of Porter, and were not the weak drink we know today, but ranged from 4.5% to over 6%. Think of today's Rugate's Ruby Mild at 4.5% or Sarah Hughes Mild at 6%.
What we now call Bitter was always about the 3.9% mark but 'Best Bitter' was stronger. Today Best can be anything over 4%.
All this changed with WWI when the government rationed malted barley and also fuel; and some argue that was what started the gradual decline of milds/porters/stouts in this country in favour of the lighter ales.
Burton Ales are interesting as many were brewed for foreign export. Last years Good Beer Guide states that Bass was once available in 6 different versions ranging from 6% to 11.5%! A quick google says it's 4.4% now :rolleyes:
There's still some pubs that serve a decent pint of Bass, though not knowing what it used to be like I can't compare. If your on a hunt Jack, The Cross Foxes in Shrewsbury, Coopers in Burton-upon-Trent and the Town Wall Tavern in Coventry, I know for a fact all serve a passable pint of Bass still. :thumbsup:

The best sitcom ever written :thumbsup:
zZwSw5M.jpg

-David.

Thanks David :) Blue Bass had predominantly blue branding rather than red, it was a light ale. Bass owned the Sheffield William Stones brewery, so bottled Bass beers were available in many of their pubs, though most folks drank Stones (on draught).

Vintage-British-Beer-Label-Bass-Best-Pale.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Brewery

Yes, I have also heard that the restrictive pub opening hours which continued until relatively recent times were introduced to curtail the boozing of munitions workers. It always used to make me roll my eyes when the vast quantities of ale men, women, and children drank in the past was excused by poorly-informed journalists and supposed historians on the basis that the beer was supposedly weaker then - as if! :rolleyes:

A friend was telling me about one of the Burton pubs he visited (it might have been a while ago) where the Bass was still served from the barrel :) In Leeds, one of the few pubs which sells it regularly is The Palace.

I sent someone a vintage Bass bottle-opener not so long ago, but can't remember who it was now (I passed on a Worthington bottle-opener recently too) :rolleyes:

A timely photo my friend, and a very nice Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

I always have earplugs in my pocket just in case.

Me too, though mainly so I don't have to listen to people speaking on their mobile phones when I am on public transport! o_O

Last edited:
Back