Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Ujh4P3r.jpg

The California Craft Beer Summit is held every summer in Sacramento, California. As part of it, they have a tasting experience day where your entry fee buys you a tasting glass and access to a vast array of beers brewed all over the state, enjoyed outdoors with the state capital building as the backdrop. I've gone a couple of times over that past five years and enjoyed it tremendously.

It was canceled this year for obvious reasons, but the organizers offered a tasting experience mailed to your door. I was lucky enough to get in on it before they sold out and my shipment arrived this week. This afternoon I opened the first of eight beers, an IPA from Kern River Brewing. Just the ticket for wrapping up a very full week.

It's pictured here with a knife that was also crafted in California.

KgZtCYbh.jpg

I'll bet my wife would love that drink. I might even try it! (The mango seltzer gives me pause.)
Consistently magnificent photos, Dylan, with all the things I love. :cool::thumbsup:

Mine as well. And, +1 on the compliments for Pàdruig Pàdruig 's photography skills and taste in beverages and blades. :)

Thank you, fellas! I'm sipping on the last of my Laphroaig 10 this evening - time for another bottle.

yBMdr3L.jpg

Applejack vintage '89 distilled in my parents village with local apples (Calvados is distilled cider), probably one of the last batches made, since rights of distillation can't be inherited since 1956. The pot still was standing all year on a cart under an open shed and worked once or twice a year, mostly for apples but also for little red fruits, pears and mirabelles. The smell used to spread and perfume the whole village.
This is raw alcohol, 60/65° (120/130 proof) smells wonderfully and is, hmm, say, an adult's drink. Only Angel's share slightly softened it. 3l of this venerable antifreeze in the reserve.

STomachot_pomme.jpg
If you start sayin' "there's apple in it", immediately " yes there is, but not only" echoes or "I once met a Polish girls who drank it for breakfast". From cult movie les Tontons flingueurs aka Crooks in Clover.

Last edited:
Thought I'd try something new:
SHWmJ9K.jpg

The Bronx (or "Da Bronx"). My wife asked for one recently, and it looked interesting. Essentially a Perfect Martini with orange juice added.
2 oz gin (I used Beefeater)
1/2 oz dry vermouth
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1 oz fresh orange juice

Shaken with ice and strained into a chilled cocktail glass. Usually garnished with a slice of orange, but I usually skip the fruit garnishes (except the maraschino cherry in a Manhattan!).
Not bad. Hot afternoon, just mowed the lawn. This is refreshing.
À votre santé, mes amis!

Last edited:
Mxig8Tt.jpg

As one who partakes of non-alcoholic beverages, (personal choice,almost died of alcohol poisoning twice in my 20s, I have no control) I'll have to post another soda pop I've recently tried for the first time. This is an apple soda from Mexico, and only uses apple juice for flavoring. Its not overly carbonated and is a nice mellow soft drink. Its very good imho,a nice occasional treat. Also it gives me an excuse to use my Camillus radio jack's bottle opener :D

Mxig8Tt.jpg

As one who partakes of non-alcoholic beverages, (personal choice,almost died of alcohol poisoning twice in my 20s, I have no control) I'll have to post another soda pop I've recently tried for the first time. This is an apple soda from Mexico, and only uses apple juice for flavoring. Its not overly carbonated and is a nice mellow soft drink. Its very good imho,a nice occasional treat. Also it gives me an excuse to use my Camillus radio jack's bottle opener :D

Looks like a mighty fine use of your Camillus to me! I've always admired the shape of their cap lifters and that soda sure sounds refreshing on this hot day. Thanks for sharing both. :thumbsup: :)

sIRD1jA.jpg

Sitting on the deck at my son's house on Padre Island, enjoying some Buchanen's Select 15 year old Scotch whisky, and a nice cigar. Didn't have my V-cutter handy, but the castrator blade of my stockman can circumcise too. :p How do you like my "shot glass"?

Nice view, too:
tOXA63d.jpg

(That's my wife in the kayak. I took it out once, but it sits too low in the water with me in it.)

sIRD1jA.jpg

Sitting on the deck at my son's house on Padre Island, enjoying some Buchanen's Select 15 year old Scotch whisky, and a nice cigar. Didn't have my V-cutter handy, but the castrator blade of my stockman can circumcise too. :p How do you like my "shot glass"?

Nice view, too:
tOXA63d.jpg

(That's my wife in the kayak. I took it out once, but it sits too low in the water with me in it.)
Living the good life, huh?
Dig the glass.

Back