Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

a05du11.jpg

Yeah..... well, I did say "IF" :D
As a suggestion to all those that do any traveling, we were sitting in the airport in Belize, waiting for our flight, and I wandered around into one of the duty free shops. They had 12 bottles of Blanton's sitting on the shelf. After I came to, on the floor, I asked the attendant how much they were. She said $40 a bottle. We could only bring back two bottles each, so I grabbed my wife, and we bought 4 of them. The attendant said they had been there for quite some time, that nobody seemed interested in them. If I could have bought all 12, I would have.

That’s a great score! :D

Looks like a nice selection, David. :thumbsup: I will say, though, that as far as beer names go, “Old Slug” isn’t particularly appetizing. :D

I’m not sure if this slug is (was) old or young, but like the beer, he is 100% British.

M6qvqYh.jpg

And since this isn’t the “Traditional Knives and Gastropods” thread, here’s a photo that’s on topic.

sVB8L4W.jpg

Suddenly Im reminded of this ...Classic!

LOL! I've never seen that one before, thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:
Pubs closing at 3pm, it's an old one.

That’s a great score! :D

Looks like a nice selection, David. :thumbsup: I will say, though, that as far as beer names go, “Old Slug” isn’t particularly appetizing. :D

I’m not sure if this slug is (was) old or young, but like the beer, he is 100% British.

M6qvqYh.jpg

And since this isn’t the “Traditional Knives and Gastropods” thread, here’s a photo that’s on topic.

sVB8L4W.jpg

Thanks Barrett, apparently it's one of those beers that's spoken about in hushed tones in secluded corners of isolated pubs. It's bottle-conditioned so I'm looking forward to seeing what all the myth is about.
That's a great shot, you must of been quick to catch it. :D:thumbsup:

tUFDH7Z.jpg

I recall I've read about Ezra Brooks somewhere in this thread and when I saw these bottles I went for a test. These bottles were imported in the Netherlands and intended to be sold in UK. New rules prevented things to go that way and these were discounted. Two other on the way, rye ans 7 yo. Cheers Bobo! :D:D:D
View attachment 1516663

You Lucky Skunk! :)
20210304-183555.jpg

My hometown brewer is building back up the range after being almost drunk dry by the tourists and holidaymakers over xmas etc....limited range available at the moment.
I wish we could all gather at Big Niles....

I’m mixed on this one. Strong oak flavor, no other real notes and it’s a tad to harsh on the finish. It’s by far the weakest whiskey on my shelves so it may need to go under the sink between the TX and the Jack.
NYaNrqO.jpg
What? 115 proof is your weakest whiskey? :eek: I suppose you could be referencing just flavor, or overall "drinkability"....

I've seen this one on the shelf, and have wondered about it... how does it compare to other Islay's, like Laphroaig, or Ardbeg?
Some of them are just a little too peaty/smoky for me, for a daily type thing. Lagavullin is one of those..
Occasionally, yes, but daily... hmmmm... guess I can't run with the big dogs.... :(

I've seen this one on the shelf, and have wondered about it... how does it compare to other Islay's, like Laphroaig, or Ardbeg?
Some of them are just a little too peaty/smoky for me, for a daily type thing. Lagavullin is one of those..
Occasionally, yes, but daily... hmmmm... guess I can't run with the big dogs.... :(

Caol Ila is primarily focused on producing smokey peated single malt for use within Johnnie Walker's blended whiskies.
it's strong but you get used to it, I love it.

What? 115 proof is your weakest whiskey? :eek: I suppose you could be referencing just flavor, or overall "drinkability"....
Its the weakest in flavor its also not the strongest I have. Most of what is on my shelves is single barrel, they tend to have better a flavor. I have a bottle of Balcones True Blue cask strength single barrel that was bottled at 128 proof.

Caol Ila is one of my favorite Islays. I'd say it's less sweet than Lagavullin, less peaty than Ardbeg, more seaside briney.

Caol Ila is primarily focused on producing smokey peated single malt for use within Johnnie Walker's blended whiskies.
it's strong but you get used to it, I love it.

I hereby vow to never come back on this thread again. You guys are a TERRIBLE influence on me.. (yeah, we'll see how THAT works out...:rolleyes: )
I had to stop at the store this afternoon after work, and found a bottle of this stuff.... in a nutshell.... it's amazing! Oh, mylanta (do the cool kids still say that?) It is smooth, with a kick, and a GREAT flavor profile. I'm not sophisticated enough to wax eloquently about nose, finish, musical notes, whatever... but this Islay is wonderful. And this is just after a two finger glass of it, accompanied by an Oliva Wrath Habano "seconds" cigar.
The biggest problem is that the one bottle cost 3/4 of a C-note. :(
Look for a bunch of sales threads on the exchange, as I try to finance my new addiction....

Back