Beware of Pickpockets! My ZT 0566BW Elmax Was Stolen Right Out of My Front Pocket Today

brownshoe

I support this site with my MIND
IDK, I guess some really slick "operators" could take my knife out of my pocket BUT I do not venture intentionally into crowded areas (by nature and because of Covid) and NEVER let anyone touch or brush up against me which I (may naievely) believe is necessary for any pickpocket to operate.

I always have my head on a swivel, maintain my distance and take an defensive posture in a crowd that I'm caught in and will push (usually gently) anyone out of my way who gets too close in order to protect my space but have taken a more aggressive stance (more than once) against someone who is not looking where they are going and is going to run into me (or my GF) as a result.

Never been pick pocketed in my life (as a result) but I have lost a knife w/a loose clip out of my front pants pocket because I didn't bother to better secure it.

Making someone push you out of the way is a pickpocketing technique. In addition, there's no need for some of them to touch anything but your wallet.

If you think a city has no or few pickpockets, they do travel and like big events. Best place for a man's wallet in a pickpocketing area is tucked in the pant front pocket. In any city, beware of crowded mass transit.

OP how do you know it happened in the store and not earlier?

sgt1372

Platinum Member
Making someone push you out of the way is a pickpocketing technique. In addition, there's no need for some of them to touch anything but your wallet.

If you think a city has no or few pickpockets, they do travel and like big events. Best place for a man's wallet in a pickpocketing area is tucked in the pant front pocket. In any city, beware of crowded mass transit.

I am no "expert" but I am ex-cop from a BIG CITY and am well aware of pickpockets and how most operate.

There's NO WAY for anyone to pickpocket you unless they can get close enough to you to do it.

Normally, I maintain sufficient distance so no one can force me to "push them" out of the way defensively. My use of martial arts techiques to "push" (or pull) people out of the way is OFFENSIVE and involves turning/grabbing the arms/shoulders of the offending person so they cannot reach into my pocket w/o my noticing the movement which (if used) I can easily block (and switch into a take down move, if need be).

So, while I am not saying that no one could ever pick pocket me, my preparation and training greatly mitigates the possibility.

Sonnydaze

Gold Member
I could understand pickpockets going after a wallet or a phone, but a pocketknife seems an odd target, especially when you consider how many people carry cheap folders clipped to their pocket.
Of course I wouldn't put it past some criminals, or some teenagers, to take such risks. People do dumb things all the time.
I have known several times..at least three or four, when my clipped knife was removed from my pocket. I became aware of it, though, soon thereafter.
Each time, I side-swiped a towel, or corner of a cupboard, and no other person was involved. This happened with Sebenzas, PM2's, and one or two other knives that supposedly had a secure clip.
If I caught a pick-pocket, he would remember the incident for a long time.

Last edited:

whp

IWB has pros and cons too. On one hand, it’s quite discreet and frees up your pocket for other stuff. On the other hand, sweat may be a problem for non-stainless steels. Comfort may be an issue as well depending on the knife.
I was going to mention IWB carry as a safe way to carry a folder. I carry my edc/work knife clipped at the 1:30 position behind my belt. It isn t noticeable, much less subject to being stolen. I once got into a major league baseball game after a light pat down by security with my knife undetected. I didn t even think about it not being allowed at the game.

There can be a problem with sweat when carrying IWB. I ve had to be careful with zdp 189 blades, but had no trouble with d2.
Just recently got a k390 blade that I m a little worried about carrying in the hot weather.

IWB carry is quite comfortable for me for blades up to 4 inches, like the Military or Recon1. I forget the knife is there until I need it.

I do like that with IWB carry, behind my belt, the knife is concealed.

I was once pickpocketed (front pocket) when squeezing into a packed subway car in nyc. Fortunately the cash in my pocket was loose bills and not in a wallet so as the guy pulled it out of my pocket it fell onto the floor of the car.

brownshoe

I support this site with my MIND
I am no "expert" but I am ex-cop from a BIG CITY and am well aware of pickpockets and how most operate.

There's NO WAY for anyone to pickpocket you unless they can get close enough to you to do it.

Normally, I maintain sufficient distance so no one can force me to "push them" out of the way defensively. My use of martial arts techiques to "push" (or pull) people out of the way is OFFENSIVE and involves turning/grabbing the arms/shoulders of the offending person so they cannot reach into my pocket w/o my noticing the movement which (if used) I can easily block (and switch into a take down move, if need be).

So, while I am not saying that no one could ever pick pocket me, my preparation and training greatly mitigates the possibility.

In a BIG CITY to "maintain sufficient distance" is not possible. A good pickpocket is seen but unseen and unfelt, your "martial arts" would be superfluous.

betzner

Platinum Member
Chalk it up to "hey, shit happens"......................