Beware of Pickpockets! My ZT 0566BW Elmax Was Stolen Right Out of My Front Pocket Today

You have a pistol permit and y are worried about the knife? What in the world would have you reaching for the knife instead of gun if it's for an "interaction"? Just about the LAST reason I carry a knife is for self defense, I would hand over my money every time over shaking someone, and if I feared for my life or was protecting human life I would not choose a knife unless it was clear lives (and not just 'stuff') were at stake.

I quit using pocket clips years ago. It helps me avoid marauding seat belts and avoids unwanted attention from both pick pockets and sheeple.

As it turns out you can get your knife out of your pocket one handed with or without a pocket clip.

The pocket clip is more to protect both what is in our pockets from the knife (especially cell screens and anodized money clips), and any anodizing on the knife. I guess with zero scratch concerns and a light knife that's not going to be awkwardly sloshing around your pocket then a clip doesn't matter.

Hard to believe anyone would steal a pocket knife. Most likely the knife fell out of the pocket for whatever reason. Time to replace it with something nicer, like a 0562.

The pocket clip is more to protect both what is in our pockets from the knife (especially cell screens and anodized money clips), and any anodizing on the knife. I guess with zero scratch concerns and a light knife that's not going to be awkwardly sloshing around your pocket then a clip doesn't matter.
Now you have piqued my curiosity. When I was using a pocket clip, the knife was still in my pocket being the bane of anodization and screens, was I doing something wrong?

How do you know you were pick pocketed, and not that the clip caught on something, or worked it self out of your pocket.
I've lost count of the number if times I've had a knife with a clip jump ship from my pants!!

Seat belts, chairs, strap on my bag, many ways I've had them leave my locket.

I've been pick pocketed successfully, and had it attempted many many times....I've even successfully pick pocketed friends many times....once on a packed bus I was able to steal the same friends passport from a zippered chest pocket on his jacket 3 times on a single ride... even after giving it back, and him being aware I had already stolen it twice... I still got it a third time!

But I've never had anyone attempt to steal my pocket knife??

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean, I'm saying that with a clip you are securing half of it against the fabric of your pants and that with average depth jeans and even more so with cargo pants you should have at least a couple inches at the bottom of your pocket where keys etc. are separated from the knife. With the brand of travel theft-proof pants I mentioned, there are 3-4 separated areas with zippers and/or dividers, buttons, etc. that would keep at least 3-4 different items from coming in contact with each other.
I had some pretty pricey anodizing done on my Wayfarer that is beat up from EDC after over a year, but it doesn't both me that much- using the clip has totally protected any areas that was not level with the scales, but even all banged up it still looks nice and at the end of the day it's a tool more than a piece of art for me so while I do care because I like purty thangs, it still cuts and I can always have it re-anodized.
On a side note, the ano on the Wayfarer has held up exponentially better than things like my Ridge 'burnt titanium' wallet. I'm done with 'safe queens', except for knives that I just want to buy to try and then resell.
I can't imagine needing anything more than 3"+ of high end steel for EDC so I'm not even in the market anymore for another EDC.

Back