BGFSH 5/16" pics and comparison pic heavy

Got my beast of a BGFSH today. The knife feels great in hand and the handle feels excellent. I think these are going to be able to take a heck of a beating. There are some odd things I noticed about it though. The maroon handle is significantly darker than the maroon that came on my BG WTF (I know that different shipments of canvas can vary in color, no problem). The handle on the BG FSH is also a lot smoother than the handle on the BG WTF and the texture is not as aggressive as the WTF's. On the blade, there is a noticeable ridge along the top edge of the blade on both sides. It is noticeable along the entire top length of the blade from the hande to tip, but more pronounced from the middle to the tip. I tried to get a good picture of the tip looking directly at the tip but my camera was not cooperating, there is a slight T shape to the tip, I don't think it would affect chopping, slicing, or stabbing, just an observation. Has anyone seen this on their blades? The color differences in micarta and the slight ridges don't bother me at all and I'm not complaining, just pointing out an observation. Now to make a sheath and then take the knife out to beat on it. Thank you for taking the time to look.

You can see the slight ridge along the top of the blade. The red spec is a piece of fuzz I didn't see before I took the pic.

Another shot of the slight ridge.

Pic comparing the BGFSH and BG WTF handles. On the BG WTF handle the aggressive texture of the handle is more visible. The BGFSH is more smooth.

Pic showing texture and color contrasts.

Even though the BGFSH is a big blade, it still is dwarfed by the BG WTF. :)

These last 3 pics show the ridge along the top of the blade on both sides. I had to take the pics in different light so the ridges could be seen better.

Cool pics, I'm so jealous!

I wonder if the ridge is just a buildup of coating?

I think the ridge is coating too, Sage gets a little funky sometimes!

Interesting you got hand smoothed scales :thumbup:

Man, those scales look like black canvas on my screen. Even though the BGWTF maroon scales look just like the maroon scales on my TG-P. Anyway, badass looking blade. That thing looks THICK! Glad I got 3/16, even though it won't look as badass as 5/16, I freely admit.

They look great!! Mine is coming today.....but I agree with dogboye those scales look black to me too....i got muddy/maroon...ill post up some pics when it gets here

Looks to be black canvas to me. Unless my vision is going out that is.

Those scales definitely have a brownish tint to them, as opposed to the green of clean, dry, black canvas.

They did have sort of a brownish ting to them… in the last three photos. But not before that. At least on my screen. Doesn't matter, though. Still a badass knife either way.

I'll take a pic outside tomorrow in the daylight. In true light there is a maroon hue to the scales. When I got it, I also thought they were black but after looking at them they do have a reddish tint. My lighting also wasn't that great. When I get a better picture I'll post it on here. Maybe someone from the shop can confirm if it is really maroon.

Congrats! It'd be great to get to handle one of those fatties, but I was tapped out when the came up in the rotation.

On the scales, that's a large color difference from mine and pretty much all other pics I've seen, looks cool. I'm curious if/how the maroon scales on my BP might darken over time? Maybe it will darken to look like yours. The different texturing on them is odd as well, but they look more comfy anyway.

Kind of related, the tan scales on my BGHR darkened drastically and have the strong reddish/maroon tint I'd always only seen in pics. I didn't expect it since they were so solidily brown for months with little change and then ??? The only thing I use on my blades really is a square of microfiber/shamwow cloth with some mineral oil in it.

The ridge looks to be where the saber grind starts. Some of the older FSHs that were supposed to be full-flat grinds looked exactly like that.

Mine has very dark maroon scales, way darker than my Boom Parang. I think they are the best looking scales on any of my knives and the less aggressive texture is perfect imo. I wish I had a matching 3/16" model! Mine doesn't have the ridge in the spine.

The ridge is almost certainly just a thicker coating. Powder coatings are applied by an electrostatic spray process. Those edges/corners can have a greater charge density and attract more paint.

Mine has very dark maroon scales, way darker than my Boom Parang. I think they are the best looking scales on any of my knives and the less aggressive texture is perfect imo. I wish I had a matching 3/16" model! Mine doesn't have the ridge in the spine.

The handle scales feel perfect on the FSH. Waaaay better than on my WTF. I've been thinking I might try to sand the WTF ones down a little bit. I was thinking this maroon may be a new batch, could be why it's darker.

The ridge is almost certainly just a thicker coating. Powder coatings are applied by an electrostatic spray process. Those edges/corners can have a greater charge density and attract more paint.

Makes sense, I was thinking it was just thicker paint. I didn't think of how they applied the paint, I wasn't sure how they did it.

Makes sense, I was thinking it was just thicker paint. I didn't think of how they applied the paint, I wasn't sure how they did it.

Don't know how I missed it but I see what you were referring to now. I was focused on the grind but the ridge you see at the corner isn't the grind. Probably exactly like what was said above: uneven application of the coating.

My maroon is dark also. I much prefer the maroon on my previous blades. This is to dark. Center blade is maroon on Team Gemini P that also arrived today. I like that color.

Left and right are both maroon on FSH.

c13b24d1a9b4742c45428dd9536fa734.jpg

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Back