• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

BGR vise. New knife vise

I’d like to introduce my new BGR vise . In my career as a gunmaker and previously a bladesmith, holding small and oddly shaped parts has been a challenge. I’ve tried numerous different hand vises and dedicated clamps for specific parts. Some work, some not so much. None of them worked for a wide variety of tasks, which means more tools would be needed. Out of frustration for not having a good and versatile solution, I designed and made this vise.

With a standard bench vise, the BGR vise can be rotated, tilted and swiveled to any angle needed for hand shaping and polishing of complex parts. The jaws are held in the base with two adjusting bolts. The vise is able to hold parts on either end and can pass longer parts all the way through the middle. It can clamp tapered parts as well.

I didn’t want another tool that had to have it’s own space to be mounted on my already crowded bench. Utilizing a bench vise, which nearly every shop already has, bench space is preserved and the tool can be set aside when not in use. It measures 3” in diameter and 5.5” tall

Operation is very simple. Adjust the jaws via the base bolts to the thickness of part to be held. Insert the part in the jaws at the top (or bottom as indicated in the photos) and tighten the top half of the vise to apply clamping pressure. A simple spanner wrench provides ample force to firmly hold. Once the part is held, the vise-versatile can be positioned in a bench vise at any angle or degree of rotation needed. No more fighting to hold a small part at odd angles only to have it either damaged or come loose. Shaping and polishing triggers is far easier and many times faster since I only need to clamp it once. It doesn’t move or slip and therefore isn’t damaged during aggressive filing.

The base is machined to accept wide knife blades over 2” in width. With the base bolts used to apply clamping force on the blade, and the top of the BGR vise held in the bench vise, the base and blade can be rotated as necessary to access all surfaces of the knife handle. Blades can also be held for hand polishing and again, once held, can be rotated to polish both sides and the spine.

The BGR vise can hold parts for light machining and drilling as well.

The vise is very simple in design and easily disassembled for cleaning. Extra vise jaws can be used for specific parts. Lead, leather or wood lined jaws can be used for instance.

All parts are machined from heat treated 4140, tumble finished and will last a lifetime.

They are priced at $300.

If you have and questions or would like to order, please message me or call/text me at 903-746-0004

Back