BHQ HAP40 Lum Chinese

If this sells out I'm going to miss this one. I wish it was released on the 24th.

Fortunately for me, my wallet is safe this go around. No interest in this design at all.

Don't get me wrong. I love laminated blades with carbon steels, especially high speed tool steels. The light patina my Hap40 dragonfly picked up is a beautiful contrast. This particular example is just a really high and straight line on a blade with a lot of belly. It contrasts.

Don't get me wrong. I love laminated blades with carbon steels, especially high speed tool steels. The light patina my Hap40 dragonfly picked up is a beautiful contrast. This particular example is just a really high and straight line on a blade with a lot of belly. It contrasts.
I just took a look at the product page at BladeHQ, and the lamination line on their product picture is miles better. So it looks like they just picked a bad example to do their IG promos with for some reason.

No love for the Chinese Lum. I might still see them in stock on the 25th.
I hope some over zealous flippers get stuck with 4 or 6 of them. LOL

I bet I would love it if I had it in hand but I"m up to way too many on the current wish list.

How about Blade HQ does a Respect in a tool steel with natural G10 scales and have AT Barr tweak the end result? That would save me a tonne of trouble.

Just got mine.

I'm disappointed to see that it has teflon washers rather than phosphor bronze. Spydie hole is quite sharp around the edges and the G10 scales don't line up well with the liners. Fit and finish are just lacking based on what I'm used to from Spyderco. Granted, I haven't had a Japanese Spyderco in quite a while, but overall I'm very unimpressed. Probably going to call BladeHQ about returning it.

Last edited:
Just got mine.

I'm disappointed to see that it has teflon washers rather than phosphor bronze. Spydie hole is quite sharp around the edges and the G10 scales don't line up well with the liners. Fit and finish are just lacking based on what I'm used to from Spyderco. Granted, I haven't had a Japanese Spyderco in quite a while, but overall I'm very unimpressed. Probably going to call BladeHQ about returning it.
Are both the washers teflon? I know in the Nishijin C65 one washer is phosphor bronze and the other is teflon (not sure why). Unfortunate to hear about the other F&F issues though. I'll probably keep mine for the collection, but I was hoping for something nice.
Congrats on 999 posts btw

Are both the washers teflon? I know in the Nishijin C65 one washer is phosphor bronze and the other is teflon (not sure why). Unfortunate to hear about the other F&F issues though. I'll probably keep mine for the collection, but I was hoping for something nice.
Congrats on 999 posts btw

Of course my 1000th post is complaining about a new knife.

Both washers are teflon. Knife is unflickable and action is quite gritty out of the box. All around pretty disappointed with this one. Was looking forward to having a unique model to add to my collection of Spyderco standards.

Of course my 1000th post is complaining about a new knife.

Both washers are teflon. Knife is unflickable and action is quite gritty out of the box. All around pretty disappointed with this one. Was looking forward to having a unique model to add to my collection of Spyderco standards.
I ordered 2, and just opened them up. Luckily I managed to get one with pretty nice lamination lines, and the action is smooth enough to be flicked open, though it's not as good as my other Lums, sadly. The other one has worse lamination lines, but the real problem is that the lanyard tube rattles. Was going to try to keep a spare, but I'm probably going to return that one. I also noticed that the scales are just a tad bigger than the liners.

Back