Big Giant Swords

Well ya' know if he can make a living at it then good for him..The American dream in action..

The guy did say something to the effect of "I'm feeding my family by doing this, which is INSANE". So he understands that this is a fun novelty kind of thing, and has a good sense of humor. To be honest, how many tv shows actually show anything at all resembling what we do? None. So ya know what? I'd rather watch a guy grind out a funny ass 54lb sword and bust some junk to pieces with it, than Honey Boo Boo or "Me and My 90 Kids" or whatever.

A tv show that shows actual metalwork, and is probably a goofy good time? I'll take it!

The show is supposed to be fun and funny, and I do not believe at all that this will insult or hurt the knife community.

Well, the show was actually a lot different than I expected. I was left with the feeling that he actually knew what he was doing, and not just acting a script provided by a producer. Furthermore, I'm glad to see he takes the weapons about as seriously as a lot of us do. I especially enjoyed the bit about crazy versus sane customers. Reminds me of a story Howard Clark told me about a bear hunting sword he made for a client.

The guy did say something to the effect of "I'm feeding my family by doing this, which is INSANE". So he understands that this is a fun novelty kind of thing, and has a good sense of humor. To be honest, how many tv shows actually show anything at all resembling what we do? None. So ya know what? I'd rather watch a guy grind out a funny ass 54lb sword and bust some junk to pieces with it, than Honey Boo Boo or "Me and My 90 Kids" or whatever.

A tv show that shows actual metalwork, and is probably a goofy good time? I'll take it!

The show is supposed to be fun and funny, and I do not believe at all that this will insult or hurt the knife community.

Exactly how I feel. I watched it, and althought it was kinda lame, I would rather watch that than most of the garbage thats on tv nowadays! Gotta have an open mind!

Furthermore, I'm glad to see he takes the weapons about as seriously as a lot of us do. I especially enjoyed the bit about crazy versus sane customers.

"People who want these things are either crazy people, or 12-yr-olds with no money!" :D

I found the show amusing. That "videographer" would last about 10 minutes in my shop though... he started out annoying and just kept getting worse. :rolleyes:

I'm going to give this show a 16 on the Budweiser scale (beers needed to enjoy the show) and for reference I gave blade brothers a 37 on the same scale ;0)

I made it through the whole thing completely sober... mainly because the main character (Irish Mike) is actually fairly likeable and seems like he'd be fun to goof around with in the shop. And I totally understand the angle of his wife going, "Look hon, you have to turn a profit on these things... or get a real job" :eek:

I agree that "Blade Brothers" was pretty awful. Waayyyy too much fake drama and almost nothing about knives/knifemaking :thumbdn:

Seems like there just putting crap on t.v just because. The discovery channel used to have better shows about nature, informational and such. Same with animal planet, now we have tree house shows?!? And the slogan is " animal planet ,surprisingly human" lol educational shows are being replaced by stupid entertainment shows.

The last minute run for quench plates for the ax head was the last straw for me on blade brothers, Then the ax head warping at least 1/2 the thickness of the blade, with him exclaiming " oh I can grind that out" lol

I just downloaded big giant swords a little bit ago and watched 5 minutes, maybe after I watch the entire show I can lower my rating to 9 or 10 ;0)

You guys bashing Irish Mike should check out the show. I love it! He's weird, it's hilarious and while we are all into function before form, he's not and you have to understand his SCOPE before you start comparing it to what you guys do.

Not sure of the type of steel but I heard him last night talking about how the sheets are preheat treated and tempered... Soem of the outlandish shit actualy works too

I saw this guy on Youtube last year and his video made me laugh so hard I was pumped when they came out with his show... Comedy for sure if nothing else and laughter is never a bad thing unless its kicking someone when they are down

Well, the show was actually a lot different than I expected. I was left with the feeling that he actually knew what he was doing, and not just acting a script provided by a producer. Furthermore, I'm glad to see he takes the weapons about as seriously as a lot of us do. I especially enjoyed the bit about crazy versus sane customers. Reminds me of a story Howard Clark told me about a bear hunting sword he made for a client.

WOOOOOOOOO! A Bear Hunting Sword!??? WTF! :confused::thumbdn:

The guy knows what he is doin, although he's not a true knife or sword maker.

He is making 'movie prop' type swords and has a pretty good artistic eye for design.

He also has a great sense of humor and is very entertaining.

:thumbup::D:thumbup:

What Don said. I like it. Not gonna base my career on it; it's just a TV show for fun. :)

I've acquired the habit of randomly saying "Big Giant Swords" in my best Irish/Australian accent lol

He knows what he is doing, is an awesome designer and is delivering quality for his customers. What more is there?

BIG GIANT SWORDS! in my best Aurish accent ;)

Holy cow... if you guys keep going on about this guy I will need to give around the grinder a 16 on the budwiser scale ;0)

He was concerned about ruining the "heat treat" on his Hardox(whatever that is) when she heated it up in the forge, but not when he plasma cuts, welds, or sets it on fire?

Back