Big "Jungle Honey" type sword

Been hold up in my bamboo patch lately, but thought I would drop by and share a pic or 2. Just finished this "Jungle Honey" type sword, was fun to make, even more fun to use. Most folks around here know the design, Fikes made these years ago, he and Don Fogg made the last 2 about 5 years ago. This one is a pure working version, minimal grinding done, basic cord wrap, belt finish etc....

Forged from 1095, overall length is 33-1/4", blade is 18" long x about 2-3/8" wide. Sharp on both sides and a hoot to cut with in the woods.

Still needs a final clean up, some marks I missed on the clip from cutting etc...

100_2040.jpg

100_2042.jpg

100_2037.jpg

Last edited:

ddd

Truly dangerous looking, but yet very appealing overall design in quite a
dramatic way... Wow.....
Gives one the urge to pick it up with both hands and swwwwiiing.

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Quite amazing!

Why the double-edge instead of chisel grind?

One reason (other than just feeling like doing a double forge/grind) is that with blades this long/wide they really want to "cup" and warp bad when they are flat on one side.

Ah-ha!

Would that explain why your sword is the first of its kind in over five years? Did the previous owners of your house tell you to watch out for the warped swords scattered around the backyard?

edited to add:

Is this going to be your personal church and shopping sword or is it going straight to Santi after it's cleaned up?

It does look like you could wade through a cane break with that thing. I'd like to check it out for weight and balance, I bet it's a joy to use.

Lorien

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
you weren't kidding buddy!
Fannnnn tastic!

Jos

This knife is talking to me. It says: pick me up and start chopping!

Nice work!:thumbup:

Kind regards,

Jos

That looks great, I am sure it is a good tool as well!

Reminds me a little of Don Foggs Cloud Cutter.

Great work!

Regards
/Magnus

thanks all, Magnus the Cloud Cutter was one of the last 2 of this type that Jimmy/Don built. This one is a humble working version of the Cloud Cutter (Jungle Honey) collaboration.

thanks again fellas, it was fun to make, will be doing a few more... at least 1 with full polish/hamon and tsuba.

Aldo, check your email on the power hammer I was telling you about.