Big knife vs Axe

I've always owned and used axes. I don't own, nor do I understand the reason for a large chopping knife. This knife design is made by numerous makers, and I don't think the specific manufacturer is relevant. I'm just trying to understand why a blade like this would be preferred over an axe. How and why did it come to be that this blade style replaced axes for bushcraft/survival use?

please note, this is not a brand specific topic. I'm asking here to get the point of view of those that train for wilderness survival.

My reason for a larger knife vs an axe would be the knife allows a few more uses & is lighter to carry.

Each tool has its place. The "survival" aspect comes in when you are stuck with what you have. If I could grab and go with everything I wanted, then an axe would be in the truck. If I had to "haul azz" with the things in reach, then I'd be hauling what I could grab. The trick is to train with all items and be proficient with each so that you can do all that you can with each one; if that makes sense.

I've always been much the same way. lots of axes and hatchets growing up. I didn't see a need for a large knife or machete until recently. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I grabbed a Condor machete, and an RTAK II. I expected to hate them. I fell in love. For one, they're much easier to carry and pack. For limbing a tree, the RTAK is amazing. It's light, quick, and easy to land. Granted a hatchet isn't hard, but the long blade makes a solid land effortless.

I see the utility and portability of machetes. I like them, but I think I'm personally going to stick to ten inch knives, and 12-14 inch machetes.

I don't think I'll ever stop carrying axes, but adding in machetes and big knives has definitely added to my tree tearing apart arsenal.

(funny you posted this now, I just took a photo of my axes for another thread)

Axe wins at wood. Big knife has more uses. I hate cutting watermelons with an axe. Also not fun to cut with an izula....

I also find batoning a ten inch knife to be much less difficult, and faster, than using an axe to make kindling. I wouldn't want to split a cord with one...but to turn a piece or two into matchsticks it's the way to go.

i have plenty small axes.
i can carry both.
a big chopping axe ,i might have on hand at base for working up some serious firewood

true , a large knife is not very efficient for several tasks, list...

a good sharp hatchet will do just fine.
buzz

I think it's a hoot to chop limbs with a big knife.I prefer splitting large wood with an axe.

Here in Missouri, I could do 95% of my tasks with a folding knife and a small axe. Big knives are tools and toys that people buy for different reasons. If it were on a "need" only basis, I would probably have a 3-4" blade knife and a camp axe or boys axe. Anything beyond that is because "they're cool" and "just 'cause" for me. I'd say many could agree.

Here in Missouri, I could do 95% of my tasks with a folding knife and a small axe. Big knives are tools and toys that people buy for different reasons. If it were on a "need" only basis, I would probably have a 3-4" blade knife and a camp axe or boys axe. Anything beyond that is because "they're cool" and "just 'cause" for me. I'd say many could agree.

I don't know...Many will agree. Many will disagree. Hatchets are a waste of weight in my books. If I'm going to take an axe it will have at least a 21" handle, otherwise its also just a toy and not a very good one. Hatchet or or big knife, I'll take the knife thanks...

I guess a lot of folks are on the same page as I am. I'm asking because I've been tempted to buy a big chopping knife but I don't know what I would use it for. I suspect they are better in more southern climates, perhaps better suited to jungle? I suppose it is just a matter of preference at the end of the day

Many people get locked into an axe/chopper/machete mentality. There are good reasons for it, simple to carry, easy to resharpen. But the truth of the matter is a good bowsaw is about $12 bucks at sears, replacement blades are $3, it'll tie to your pack in a minute, and blows away chopping for amount of wood produced compared to effort.

fast limbing, and batoning kindling. At least thats what I use em for in the NE US. everything else is saws and axes.

I don't know...Many will agree. Many will disagree. Hatchets are a waste of weight in my books. If I'm going to take an axe it will have at least a 21" handle, otherwise its also just a toy and not a very good one. Hatchet or or big knife, I'll take the knife thanks...

I am with ya. I find the small hatchetts to be inferior too a big knife in chopping and splitting wood. At least you can batan the big knife. I want a 20" handle to get enough out of the axe, but then you are lugging a pretty big and heavy tool. I would feel better with a 14" Bolo Tramontina, or a 9" to 10" knife then a small axe. They really are versitle.
AI

The knife and axe are primitive tools. Modern technology provides saws that are lighter in weight and move more wood with less effort. Unless you are really good with an axe, as seen on some of the lumberjack-contest TV shows, a saw is by far the best tool to tackle a tree with.

But back in the day an axe was also carried as a weapon, and a big one applied to a bear's head drops said bear like a rock.

I much prefer my H.I. M-43 kukri to an axe. Not only is it lighter than a comparable length axe, but it chops better. It is also far more versatile allowing use as a drawknife etc. It is also much more comfortable to carry.

It might have some climate/region factors also.

Out here in the North West, with large old growth forests and second growth timber, you don't see big chopping knifes, you see big & small axes, hatchets and splitting mauls (at least in my personal experience, yours may vary).

Reading this knife forum is the first time I even heard of a dedicated "chopper"style knife.

My largest knife is a Buck 119, and I have rarely/never carried it. My most carried fixed blade knifes are in the 3"-4" range. Never had need for anything bigger.

I agree that the region and conditions have a strong influence on what I carry. Many areas I frequent have so much downed wood that I don't really need an axe during summer.

DancesWithKnives

Axes will win at wood, big knives are much more fun to use, though. At least in my opinion. I love to chop up stuff, and baton my large blades, and I really don't like using axes very much. It is personal preference, really.

your asking on a knife forum which will be preferred and why. Knife guys like knives :p
Personally, I find a small axe beats a large knife, but thats just me. However, I sometimes like to just take a knife because it fits in the pack easier. Really depends:)

Back