Big News Regarding the Waki's.....

BryFry, did you go with micarta or G10?

I went with the micarta. -I do like it it alot, but if I could tweek its design a bit I would add maybe an inch or two to the blade, while subtracting an inch from the handle. I would also try and lighten it further by perhaps skeletonizing the handle some.... this would be just to suit my particular tastes. :)

-and a satin pollished fully convexed blade that is convexed all the way to a zero point edge would be sweet!

here's a pic of my waki and sheath:
various2008-2009164.jpg

various2008-2009176.jpg

Last edited:
BryFry, is yours Tanker Gray/Black Tan? Is that kydex sheath the same one that SwampRat sells?

Some of the close ups of the black blades look like a "wrinkle" finish, and some look smooth. What is the difference?

Mike

OK, Zignal Zero helped me figure out the colors from another post for at least one of the photos. I am re-posting it here for my own reference and for the benefit of others. Thanks again Zignal Zero.

IMG_9002-1.jpg

From top to bottom: (blade color / handle color)

Muddy / black-green G10
Black / black-green G10
Tanker Gray / black-tan G10
Tanker Gray / black-red G10
Sage / black-tan G10
Muddy / black-red G10
Moss / tan canvas micarta (with oil on it?)
Black / tan canvas micarta

If Eric could do something like this for the other two photos, I would really appreciate that. I think others would as well. You might also consider putting the pics with descriptions on your site for future reference.

These descriptions of the handle materials may benefit other NOOBs like me:

MICARTA: Layers of linen cloths soaked in resin and pressured together. Most commonly used on more stylish knives due to its rich color finish qualities.

G10: An extremely durable makeup of layers of fiberglass soaked in resin, then highly compressed and baked. Impervious to moisture or liquid and physically stable under climate change. Most commonly black, but is available in various colors, too.

Hey, I figured since I looked them up, I'd share.

Mike

Last edited:
Is this blade owned by matthewb5016 Muddy with Black handles?
IMGP2319.jpg

I think this color combo is my favorite so far.

Mike

Thats a tanker gray blade with black G10 handle. Try a black/red G10 handle with black blade or black G10 handle with White blade. Personal preferences, your choice bro.

Is this blade owned by matthewb5016 Muddy with Black handles?
IMGP2319.jpg

I think this color combo is my favorite so far.

Mike

Does anyone know what the finish is on the Wakis? It looks like a powder coating, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

I have seen close ups of the black blades that show what appears to be a wrinkle type finish. Do the Tanker Gray blades look wrinkled like that?

Mike

Just sent an email to Eric today. Love the Waki design. Re-opening the pre-order is the best news ever. The first time I saw this was in a knife magazine and I could not get my eyes off the page. Can't wait to get the confirmation email!

The first time I saw this was in a knife magazine and I could not get my eyes off the page.
What magazine was it in? I knew I saw it in one. It took me weeks to figure out it was the Waki I had seen. I went through every magazine in my posession trying to figure out what this blade was. I finally figured it out with help from members of this forum.

Which magazine was it?

Mike

Does anyone know what the finish is on the Wakis? It looks like a powder coating, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

I have seen close ups of the black blades that show what appears to be a wrinkle type finish. Do the Tanker Gray blades look wrinkled like that?

Mike

Yes, they are powder coated, with a texture finish.

I sent my order this weekend but haven't gotten confirmation from either e-mail. Is that normal? i just want to make sure i don't miss out!

I sent my order well over a week ago, maybe 2 weeks ago. I still have not received confirmation. Eric did answer an email I sent with a question a couple of weeks ago, but it took him at least a week to answer that email. I think he is just busy. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Mike

Back