Recommendation? Big Sexy Swiss Army ? "Rangergrip"

:) Not at all my normal thing , but I'm actually attracted to the Rangergrip models . Especially the 178 . :eek:

Big ( ~4") spydercoish blade and saw , nice big ergonomic handle , useful tools .

Anybody have experience with this type ?

I have the "Official Swiss Army Officer Knife" 2017 or 2016. I positively hate it. The fake Spyderco hole, the serrated blade, the wonky liner lock, all the wrong tools (for my use, I'm not a Swiss Officer, thanks heaven...). It's not a bad pocket knife, it's just way off my vision of a decent pocket knife. This more recent version may be in progress, but, meh..., I'm just not interested.

I have the Ranger 78. The build quality is good but it's heavy, bulky and I very seldom carry it.
Here some pictures with a Para2 and the Hogue/Ritter.
Ff52tLN.jpg

TEPBVgJ.jpg

UIqUF4Q.jpg

Vyj3n3n.jpg

The unsharpened part of the blade is too large, useless and hideous.

w0pSok9.jpg

If you want a SAK with a spydercoish blade I recommend the Victorinox 0.8463.MW3. It's smaller than the Ranger (but large enough for all tasks) and lighter.

G4PFbEP.jpg

I have Victorinox pictured on the bottom. I carry it in my cargo pocket when I'm working. At first I wasn't a fan of the serrations but I have come to love them for yard work. I think it has the perfect combination of tools for most of my outdoor chores. It was quite a steal too... I paid less than $30 for it.

Rangergrip
Yes I have that one.
I bought it to carry on the bike paths to cut limbs that stick out too far.
This is the first year they got real and actually cut them before they got half way across the path. The other day I almost fainted . . . they actually plowed the snow off a heavily used trail . . . twice in two days / two storms. I could not believe it. In fifteen years I think I have seen them do it two other times TOTAL.
Needless to say I haven't used the saw yet for any significant work.
I've carred the knife EDC for a while and I like it fine.
I expected the black grippy areas to be more grippy. More rubber like and less plastic like.
The screw driver needs to be on the end even if we have to loose the can opener. I never use the can opener.

Nah it's kind of cool I could see the right person with the right out door job getting a lot of good use out of it.

I don't regret buying it. Besides in this town it is just a matter of time before they forget all about the bike trails and get off on some other "project". Then that little saw is going to be put to work. ;)
Before this I was using my Swiss Champ or just one of my locking pocket folders to cut the branches.

I'm glad you posted it; I enjoyed being reminded I have one.

Looks like a Swiss Army Knife sellout knife. :thumbsdown:

I applaud their attempts to offer some improved ergonomic handle designs , beyond the old suppository inspired type . :rolleyes:

That's like applauding someone's attempt to cast a fishing pole when they ended up with a broken rod, line wrapped around their head and a lure hanging from their ear. o_O Victorinox could make a LEGENDARY knife in that "modern" style, given their resources, reputation, and expertise. And it could be a unique knife, too. They didn't do that.

What about the rangerwood 55?

vt0.9561.63$01-victorinox-rangerwood-55-vt0.9561.63-d1.jpg

One of the tools is different (corkscrew instead of phillips head screwdriver) but I consider everything else to be an upgrade.

I have this one. It's on the big side, but carries nicely. The handles are subtly contoured which makes it quite comfortable and ergonomic. The blade is secured with a linerlock for which the shield is a switch, which I thought was a pretty neat touch.

Ok. Alot of these models are improvements on Wenger designs afer Victorinox bought Wenger they kept some of the designs. A good move by Victorinox, not at all selling out. These knives are for people who are going to spend alot of time in the woods and would like a larger blade and/or saw. They are just as good as the standard SAK's. These are larger knives (I think close to 5" closed). For something a little easoer to EDC in the pocket, check out the One Handed Trekker. The hole functions the same as it does on a spyderco, and the blade and saw are still larger than the 91mm models. If you are ok carrying in a sheath and are outdoors quite a bit, you will love the Rangergrip.

Check out Felix Immler on youtube. He used a Rangergrip extensively when writing his book and the 78 or 178 (I can't remember which) is his favorite model. He does pretty impressive work with SAK's.

One of the tools is different (corkscrew instead of phillips head screwdriver) but I consider everything else to be an upgrade.

I have this one. It's on the big side, but carries nicely. The handles are subtly contoured which makes it quite comfortable and ergonomic. The blade is secured with a linerlock for which the shield is a switch, which I thought was a pretty neat touch.
I like the wood handle and this design probably is more comfortable to use the saw , because there's no opening hole edge to poke your hand .

I got the forester wood version and I could get the handles wiggle in matter of day. Luckily I could send it back. I would never trust wooden handles and no pinning.

Just picked up a lightly used Rangergrip 79 with a NiteIze sheath - hasn't even shipped yet, but will try to remember to report back when I have it.

That's a little more like it.

For my needs, the Ranger series are too large. I will tuck a Trekker in my pack on hikes but have no need for a Ranger.

Well, considering the thread's title, it would make a lot more sense to get wood.

:) Received my 178 today . Exciting enough , but no wood ! Kinda olive drab with black rubbery inserts .

I expect it will wear in and become easier to open . It can be opened one handed , right hand only and the secret to closing is to press the cross /shield emblem .

But opening and closing are both very "deliberate" and maybe that's good for safety .

The handle ergonomics are excellent for a multitool SAK . The 4.2" wood saw is my favorite feature . :cool::thumbsup:

Back