Big Storm - Stay Safe

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hurricane Florence is heading at the East Coast. This won't be a minor storm. Those from Florida to Maryland need to be getting ready. Don't think you can ride it out if you are in an evacuation zone.

I talked to several folks today who regularly have flooding issues with normal Nor'Easters and sproing/fall tides. They were saying,"Oh, I'll just stay at home, I've always been fine before." One lives on a small island that the access road floods on every high tide. They have water over the docks all the time and up to the back door every Nor'Easter. They said if it gets bad they will stay upstairs. What are they thinking????

Put away loose things that can blow. Tie down stuff that the wind can move. Tie up things that can float ( people don't think about trash cans and such). Gas the car, chain saw, and stock up on beer ( both food and water!).

Stay safe everybody and post back with updates and photos.

I'm leaving out in the morning and will be attached to a crew heading to the NC/SC coast. We plan to get close (60 miles from the coast) and hunker down till it passes so that we can be ready to get started ASAP. Y'all be safe out there and remember, no material thing is worth dying over. I'll try and post some pictures at some point.

The last I saw the forecast we are looking at a wet weekend for sure.
Is the pressure the same in a 20lb propane tank and a 100lb tank?? I have a hose that lets me use 20lb tanks on my camp stove and lanterns , can I use my 100lb tank on a grill or lantern like I do with 20lb tanks?

Is the pressure the same in a 20lb propane tank and a 100lb tank??
Yes. Assuming same temperature and if pressure is measured from the vapour side of the tank.
Measuring on liquid side, one must take to account added weight from depth of the liquid.

The big danger with this storm is that it, like Harvey, appears to be a VERY "wet" storm and it may stall a bit as it hits the Appalachians. The NHC is saying that it will degrade from perhaps a Cat 3 to a TS pretty much when it crosses the coast, but some areas could get 20 inches of rain. They are calling for flooding up to 9 feet above ground level fairly far up some of those tidal rivers like the Neuse and Pamlico that drain into Pamlico Sound. I am guessing that is the result of a combination of the surge coming up and all of that runoff from the rain coming down stream. I know that "ground level" is not all that high in that part of NC, but still, that is some serious flooding!!!!

I'm leaving out in the morning and will be attached to a crew heading to the NC/SC coast. We plan to get close (60 miles from the coast) and hunker down till it passes so that we can be ready to get started ASAP. Y'all be safe out there and remember, no material thing is worth dying over. I'll try and post some pictures at some point.

Same. We are leaving at 5am for Raleigh last I heard. but who knows, it’s the power outages that really decide where I go.

Cool, I have several 20lb tanks filled but could be using camping stuff a long time so its good to have a backup.
Thanks guys,stay safe, You dont know how much you are used to electricity until its gone. With Fran in the 90's it took a week to get current back. My weatherman is saying this will probably be a little worse. We are in the middle of the HUGE spot on the map thats looking at 12-15" of rain.

I've been through dozens of Hurricanes while living in Florida late 90's for 14 years. Category 4 and 5 storms are nothing to sneeze at and there is no reason to stay with this much warning. Andrew was a category 5 store in 1993 and the result was devastating in Florida a state prepared for hurricanes and flooding like no other state. No property is worth dying for, please grab your important documents, friends and family and leave.

Homestead 1993 After Hurricane Andrew
NEW%20HURRICANE%20ANDREW%201
photos.medleyphoto.8003208.jpg
2d245e87732f1e0ec369a6e6b5d1b5ed.jpg
SCE007-00026-400x268.jpg

Andrew was literally and figuratively speaking the "perfect storm." Super compact Cat 5 storm exposes the widespread corruption in the construction industry and local government in South Florida.
I've been through dozens of Hurricanes while living in Florida late 90's for 14 years. Category 4 and 5 storms are nothing to sneeze at and there is no reason to stay with this much warning. Andrew was a category 5 store in 1993 and the result was devastating in Florida a state prepared for hurricanes and flooding like no other state. No property is worth dying for, please grab your important documents, friends and family and leave.

Homestead 1993 After Hurricane Andrew
NEW%20HURRICANE%20ANDREW%201
photos.medleyphoto.8003208.jpg
2d245e87732f1e0ec369a6e6b5d1b5ed.jpg
SCE007-00026-400x268.jpg

yep, florence is coming. forecast track Sunday went over my house, but it is now forecast to be 75 miles south. in Raleigh area we are expecting >10" of rain and winds to 65 mph. going out to shop at midnite and hope to find the stores less crowded. prep will be done tomorrow and will include stocking up on adult beverages.

They are now saying up to 40 inches of localized rain in the coastal zone where the core of the storm impacts and 9-13 foot surge. That is looking like the Cape Lookout area of NC.

We are in the Triad area of NC so a little further west than Raliegh. I remember Hugo, should be about the same, it was bad. All outside furniture is going in the pool, umbrella's and trash cans going in the garrage. Everything is gassed up and ready. Need to drain the pool down a bit in case the power goes out and I can't drain it when it needs it. Looking at between 6-10" of rain here.

Inlaws are half way between here and the coast, right in current projected path, they won't come here (we have a spare bedroom) because they say the neighbors are staying... Where they live they are projected to get 10-15" of rain and winds around 80mph sustained.

It is looking a bit better for us, but worse for the NC/SC coast.
Our rain is down to 4-6" and winds are 30-35 with some higher gusts. Tidal flooding will still be an issue and high tide tomorrow and Friday is around noon.

got shopping done, adequate adult beverages on hand, peanut butter sandwiches and canned pasta for emergency. today stores were calm, although limited bottled water and no vienna sausage.

Was Hugo this wet? Andrew was not, but in the end it didn't matter because it tore off so many roofs which were then flooded out by two weeks of normal Miami monsoon season rain. Much of the direct storm damage from Andrew was purely from the wind, which is very unusual. Typically the surge is the culprit on the coast. There was a surge but the big 16-17 foot rise was very localized down around the Burger King headquarters which was on that dreaded north eye wall. The average was more like 6 feet which is not very much for a Cat 5 storm. A lot of the water damage came later.

As bad as the storm will be, I think the post storm flooding will be worse. All the rain inland will be flowing back through the already flooded areas. Lived in FL since 70 and been through a few. Get out if you can, be smart.

Down to cat 3 from a 4. The amount of rain is going to be overwhelming. My brother in law lives outside of Wilmington. He fled to Georgia but can't rest easy as he fears what he will return to.

Stay safe, even if you're not in the high wind zone, the flooding and storm surge could still kill you...

Back