1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    That is what happened in North Florida with Irma. Rising rivers and such almost cut us off when we were driving back home for Charleston. Yeah, we didn't exactly pick the best place to evacuate to, but dumb luck not only got us a hotel 3-4 feet above highest flood level, but we also found fuel okay on the way home.

2. scott.livesey

scott.livesey

Nov 10, 2011
    storm now Cat 2, but rain around wilmington still forecast 20" to 30". next update at 8am est may clarify more.

WC53 likes this.
  3. WC53

WC53 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Falling apart in cooler waters would be good news

4. scott.livesey

scott.livesey

Nov 10, 2011
  5. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    Falling apart or stalling and dumping rain? They were still talking about some pretty damn high surge up those rivers.

6. scott.livesey

scott.livesey

Nov 10, 2011
    eye is making landfall right now. only one stream showing flooding so far. a mess for the folks on coast.

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    We really dodged it up here in Norfolk. Outside it is light breezes with scattered light rain. Water didn't back up the bay much at all. Nusiance flooding and some minor flooding in the places that always flood at high tide. They say we will get more rain and a bit more wind over the next 48 hours. Still, 3" of rain is not the mess the guys in Wilmington are getting. One place down there recorded 30" arready.

The worst flooding up here in VA ( and down in NC/SC) will be up the rivers and creeks. My SIL Steve said the water behind his place (20 miles up the river from Norfolk) was really high last night. Tonight is supposed to be higher. He is on a hill, so no wories, but many of the small communities are right at river level and will flood badly.

8. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    Don't get too slack, Stacy. They worst of the Irma flooding in North Florida happened after he storm had allegedly passed. Same deal with Charleston. It wasn't supposed to be as bad as it was.

9. MBB

MBB

Apr 18, 2014
    I'm in Greenville at the northern edge of the storm. It's been windy and rainy with mild flooding, but not terrible. 50-100 miles south of me is an entirely different story, however.

10. scott.livesey

scott.livesey

Nov 10, 2011
    you must be in South Carolina. Greenville,NC got wind, rain, and storm surge.

11. MBB

MBB

Apr 18, 2014
    No, I'm in NC. I drove back and forth to work through last night and this morning. It's not terrible.

12. scott.livesey

scott.livesey

Nov 10, 2011
    good to hear

13. Bob Duguay

Bob Duguay

Aug 28, 2017
    I am in the Holden Beach area on the water way. It has been rough here today and still is. A few Down trees around us. We have not got the flooding they predicted during the last high tide. The next might be worse.

14. scott.livesey

scott.livesey

Nov 10, 2011
    the eye just passed north of you so winds are going to shift direction again. good luck