Big Storm - Stay Safe

That is what happened in North Florida with Irma. Rising rivers and such almost cut us off when we were driving back home for Charleston. Yeah, we didn't exactly pick the best place to evacuate to, but dumb luck not only got us a hotel 3-4 feet above highest flood level, but we also found fuel okay on the way home.
As bad as the storm will be, I think the post storm flooding will be worse. All the rain inland will be flowing back through the already flooded areas. Lived in FL since 70 and been through a few. Get out if you can, be smart.

storm now Cat 2, but rain around wilmington still forecast 20" to 30". next update at 8am est may clarify more.

Falling apart or stalling and dumping rain? They were still talking about some pretty damn high surge up those rivers.
Falling apart in cooler waters would be good news

We really dodged it up here in Norfolk. Outside it is light breezes with scattered light rain. Water didn't back up the bay much at all. Nusiance flooding and some minor flooding in the places that always flood at high tide. They say we will get more rain and a bit more wind over the next 48 hours. Still, 3" of rain is not the mess the guys in Wilmington are getting. One place down there recorded 30" arready.

The worst flooding up here in VA ( and down in NC/SC) will be up the rivers and creeks. My SIL Steve said the water behind his place (20 miles up the river from Norfolk) was really high last night. Tonight is supposed to be higher. He is on a hill, so no wories, but many of the small communities are right at river level and will flood badly.

Don't get too slack, Stacy. They worst of the Irma flooding in North Florida happened after he storm had allegedly passed. Same deal with Charleston. It wasn't supposed to be as bad as it was.

I'm in Greenville at the northern edge of the storm. It's been windy and rainy with mild flooding, but not terrible. 50-100 miles south of me is an entirely different story, however.

I'm in Greenville at the northern edge of the storm. It's been windy and rainy with mild flooding, but not terrible. 50-100 miles south of me is an entirely different story, however.
you must be in South Carolina. Greenville,NC got wind, rain, and storm surge.

No, I'm in NC. I drove back and forth to work through last night and this morning. It's not terrible.

I am in the Holden Beach area on the water way. It has been rough here today and still is. A few Down trees around us. We have not got the flooding they predicted during the last high tide. The next might be worse.

If anyone is interested, here is what my little neighborhood in Wilmington, NC looks like after a couple of weeks of clean-up.

Are you and yours ok? Here north west of Raleigh, we missed all but 5" of rain over 4 days. Falls Lake just south of the house seems to deflect most anything coming this way.

Yeah, we made it through luckier than most. Thanks for asking! Several trees tried to get the shop, but were blocked by others that some how managed to stay up. I'll need a new roof, but that was about due anyway. We had some areas flood in town, but most of the severe flooding was more inland in low lying areas and along the Cape Fear River. All in all, I have to count my blessings! It could have been much worse if it had come ashore as a cat 4 as originally forecast.

Glad your damage was minimal. I dumped 8" of rain from my gauge and while some of my neighbors lost current luckily I didnt. Those people near the rivers are having a hard time for sure.

Michael is headed to visit Stacy then head out to sea. the 'eye' passed about 5 miles west of the house about 5pm. Very strong winds about an hour later. No damage at my place other than a limb or two down. Hope everyone else made it thru ok.

Driving here in the Catskill mtns about 12 noon --giving my new pickup a taste of the real world. 4x4 and wipers at full speed ! Hard to see with rain and fog .

Back