Bigger Men, Bigger Blades?

I'm 6'3" and 190lbs. I prefer blades in the 3" to 3.5" range. Sometimes I carry a Spyderco Endura or the Paramilitary, and they feel pretty big for daily carry to me. For EDC, there's really nothing I can't do with a 2.5" blade and often carry a Spyderco Delica or like size. I have no folding knives over 4" in blade length. I've got a couple large fixed blade knives,but they're reserved for working outdoors. The truth is I don't spend a lot of time worry about "tactical" considerations for knives.

5'9" 185lbs I like to carry larger knives 3.3"-4.0", but also the smallest knives that will still fit my hand.
I think a mans other half should not weigh the same or even close to him. And certainly NOT outweigh him.. More like 2/3rd of his weight.

160lb man = 106lb woman
200lb man = 133 lb woman
230lb man= 153 lb woman

Ha. Try telling my wife to lose ten pounds. She'd rip out your armpit hair, and mine too just for being there. :)

I'm 6'2" around 230lbs. I like bigger knives (5"-5 1/2" closed). Mainly because they fit my hand the best.

5'10", 170 lbs. Most comfortable carry for me is usually in the 2.5"-3" range. Leek, Delica, and Flash 1 are current EDC favorites. I'll carry a variety of sizes though depending on where I am and what I'm doing, ranging from small knives (Chive, Ladybug, MiniBuck) to larger folders (RAT-1, Endura, Flash 2).

I'm pretty short, the knife I carry is simply suitable for task and what fits me.

I know quite a few people find the Fallkniven handles too small, yet they're not all small blades. I have the A1 and the handle is super for me. My carry always includes a BUCK 301 or other type of traditional slipjoint and at work (Outdoor/Bushcraft instructor) either a Fallkniven TK2 or Woodlore type knife. I also regularly use a Gossman UNK and a Swisstool Spirit. I don't however, like to be "over knifed", maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to carry extra weight, but I don't know of much you can do with a very large knife that you can't do with something small/medium, I'm not talking about machetes and going through jungles and brush. If I need to chop or deal with large amounts of timber, I use an axe/saw combo.

Having said all that, I have started to look at getting a bigger blade, just for the fun :D!

If it makes any difference I drive a Landrover Defender.

John

Last edited:
I'm 5' 11" ~200 lbs. I usually tend to carry medium size folders. Lately, its been an SnG, Paramilitary 2, small Sebenza Insingo and Kershaw Blur in S30V. All are about the same size except the Sebenza. So basically, 3.5" folders. I don't usually carry a fixed blade but when I do, its just my Izula.

I am 6'0" and I weigh about 230lbs.

I prefer a midsize in folders: Delica, Caly 3.5, Para, Mini/Reg Grip, etc. I prefer the smaller/midsize in fixed: Izzie 2, F1, ESEE 3 or 4, Moras, and etc.

I suppose 2.75"-3.5" in folders and 3.5"-4.75" in fixed and then the handle needs to fit my hand pretty well in both... I am not opposed to smallish blades if the handle fits my hands. Outside of chopping, I feel the larger blade does not add to my demands in a blade.

Yes, it's true. Large men like large knives, and small men like small knives. Despite what your psychologist tells you, size matters.

Some forum members need to loose weight. A lot of weight.

Yeah, Go tell one of these 6'8" portly gents and find out that they really don't need a big knife.
Anyhow, I am a 6' 8" and have been from 275 to 375 or more and wear xl gloves and like handles big enough to get a grip on, but lately a friend got an RTAK and that big chunky handle could use some sanding to make it thinner and better contour.

For big folders I have a Buck Bravo, but carry my Kershaw Blur and wish they would make one in a 4 inch blade size. But if I get a splinter I am happy with my Old Timer Trapper to dig it out.

I want a bushcraft knife and most are 8 to 8 1/2 inches, to fit my hand I want one in the 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 size.

But is hax said other places it may be the skill of the person and not the knife on what gets done.

Pat

i don't think your size has anything to do with the size knife you prefer to carry. I know a lot of 6ft overweight guys that only carry slipjoints. I'm not real big at 5'10 170 but i like to have a knife in the 3.6-4 inch blade size, its just what i have found works best for me.

People we must match our knives and women.

RWNoTh.jpg

I think it's the right tool for the job. My human hand has the capability of grasping small and large knives, whether it be a folder or fixed blade. For hard use, I'll use a large 3.5"-4" folder or a fixed blade with a handle that fits (at least 5"). For EDC, any size blade will work, like the Spyderco Bug I have on my keychain - that blade and handle is about one inch long.

I'm 6'2" 200lbs and a Buck 110 fits my hand like a glove

I use blades based on the tasks I have to accomplish. I deer hunt, so I like blade lengths between 3.5" and 4". Whether pocket or belt carry, I like light weight knives. I also like knives with grips that feel good. I have small hands but some of my small knives do not feel as good to me as some with larger grips. If I need to clear brush to form a shooting lane, I like a short machete.

Joe

I like my pants like a cheap hotel: no ballroom. :D

Har-dee-har-har

I'm 6'4" and 180, and I generally prefer a folding knife's blade to be around the 4" mark.

Back