1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Bill DeShivs, cutler

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop: Services Offered' started by Bill DeShivs, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    I make, design and restore cutlery. Most of my business is the restoration of vintage automatics. I also do hand and machine engraving. 50 years in the business.
    I am a certified repair station for Latama, Mauro Mario, Venier (Lepre), Hubertus, Kuno Ritter, G.Grafrath, Colomial, KaBar, Schrade Cut.Co., Press Button Knife Co. Flylock, Presto, Falcon/AKC/Campolin knife companies.

Yo Mama, AVigil, Dr-Mabuse and 6 others like this.
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    We also do laser micro welding, electroplating in nickel gold and silver, and electroless plating in nickel and cobalt.
    I also make pistol grips and firing pins for many pistols. My shop is fully equipped to make almost any part. See pictures at my web site: www.billdeshivs.com

3. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Q : What does cobalt plating look like ?
    (PS : I LOVE nickel plating)
    I'm off to see your web site now.
    Thanks

4. Bill DeShivs

Jun 6, 2000
    Cobalt is a white plating with a hue in between nickel and chrome. Not quite as yellow as nickel, and not quite as white as chrome.

5. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Hey @Bill DeShivs :), got one for you...this switch was found in my grandmother's safe deposit box in the mid 90's. Awesome knife, snappy action..button lock with slip joint style backspring. Only markings are INOX on the mark side and Pat. No.400 on the reverse. Pulled it out one day and it wouldn't fire, got it open and about 2/3 of the spring fell out:(. Do you know anything about it, and what a repair might run?

Screenshot_20190828-204224_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190828-203509_Photos.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  6. Bill DeShivs

Jun 6, 2000
    Italian derby olster made in Maniago probably in the 1960-1970 era.
    Springs run $70 plus $11 shipping.

DrRollinstein, Yo Mama and WValtakis like this.
  7. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Got the Derby bolster back today, fires like a champ and I can't even tell it's been worked on! If you need a vintage auto worked on don't hesitate to contact @Bill DeShivs :thumbsup::thumbsup:. Thanks again Bill, so pleased to have this family heirloom;) back to working:D.

MolokaiRider, Yo Mama, Eric H and 8 others like this.
  8. Bill DeShivs

Jun 6, 2000
    Thank YOU!

9. Bill DeShivs

Jun 6, 2000
    I also convert standard Hubertus 11 CM lever lock knives to shell-puller configuration for Johnny Cade fans.
    I can also build shell-pullers from Italian lever locks, or build you a full-custom knife.

WValtakis likes this.
  10. whiskeytango315

whiskeytango315

Mar 28, 2013
    LB7 Schrade auto?

11. Bill DeShivs

Jun 6, 2000
    No.

12. whiskeytango315

whiskeytango315

Mar 28, 2013
    Would you consider building one?

13. Bill DeShivs

Jun 6, 2000
    I have no time for experimental stuff. I hardly have time to do the repairs and shell puller conversions.
    The only knives that I currently make are Leverlettos and "Springer" types.

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  14. whiskeytango315

whiskeytango315

Mar 28, 2013
    I understand, thank you for your time

15. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Bill, can you do checkering or stippling on wood handled folders to make them more grippy? If so, please PM me the details. Thanks!

16. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    I need scales made for a Spartan Horkos knife. The original scales are way too small (5/8” handle including scales and tang). I need at least a 1” handle. An option would be spacers and new longer screws. Can you help me please? Thank you.

17. Bill DeShivs

Jun 6, 2000
    Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do rehandles right now.
    Very sorry.

18. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Thank you. Be well. :thumbsup: