• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Binakoko Kitchen Knife (Iron Chef)

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
First the pic, then the story:

attachment.php

I was contacted a while back by a cutlery store and asked to make a longer version of my Santoku kitchen knife...something more like what you see on the TV show "Iron Chef".

Rather than invent a pattern out of thin air, I wanted to draw from existing, historic, ethnic styles....and then give it my personal touch. (my modus operandi)

Being a big fan of phillipino knives such as the barong, parang, bolo, golok, etc...I began looking there. That's when I stumbled upon the binakoko. It is named after the bakoko fish (which is a lot like a porgy - shown in the pic above). Hopefully, you can see the resemblance/inspiration.

I used 1080 steel because it is a simple low-alloy high-carbon steel that will hold an edge well, yet be easy to sharpen. It is a little tougher than 1095 (what I use for the santoku) - as I expect it to see heavier chopping action at the cutting board.

The biggest advantage this knife has over a french chef style blade is that the tip is heavier, which helps you keep it on the cutting board while chopping veggies...and also acts a bit like a cleaver.

The blade is 10" long and the handle is 4.5"

Pricing = *SOLD* shipped ConUS

damn dan thats a nice price. that one wont' be around for long. very nice work. i wouldn't mind taking that thing to work 40 hours a week. it looks very cmfortable:thumbup:

awesome! i think u need to find some time and make a whole set. then throw in a custom block too!

Back