Birthday Knives - woohoo

Howdy guys, posted these on BCUSA, but wanted to share em with you fellas that don't visit that board. These are the knives for my birthday, which is tomorrow, but I got em today, worked out nicely.

Got an Airman from my mom and a 7.5" Attack/Survival from my lady. I am spoiled for sure, lol.

PC050347_zps759772be.jpg

Pic with their counterparts.

PC050356_zps5e4e0b0c.jpg

Couldn't just keep gawking at and fondling the 18, took some more beauty shots then put it to work. Great knife.

PC050364_zpse54514ec.jpg

I'm undecided if I'm gonna use the Airman yet, it looks and feels like it'll be a heck of a user, but got some Randall overload going on. No doubt the 18 will be on my hip through many outdoors adventures. :D

Woot! Happy (early) Birthday Josh! Nice scores, good ladies! :)

Thanks Shel.

Still have my eye on that 7 option 5-6 camp and trail you have. I'm sure I can think of another holiday haha. :D

ETA: Honestly, when I got my first Randall, the 5.5" 18, I never thought I'd own another, much less 7. :eek: Randalls are addictive for sure.

Thanks bud.

Need to get an updated family pic of all my Randalls.

I think I might order a model 10-3 for a knife shootout, EDC style fixed blades this time. Not sure though. hmmm

When I met you at Mooses little shindig in Cherokee National Forest a few years ago (where that dude got hammered friday nite and didn't get out of his fartsack til sunday morning)you said you was gonna get a Randall when I showed you the four I had brought.I reckon you did, with a vengeance!

lol yeah man. That's the weekend I won the BK3 in a baton contest against mooses wife, lol.

I wanted a randall for a long time, at the time I had decided on a Model 16 SP#1 but quickly changed my mind to the 5.5" 18 when I found one of those, had wanted one of these for years.

ETA: That was nice of you to let me fondle your Randalls too, I appreciate it. I'd never even held or seen one in person til then.

Last edited:
Man I wanna try a model 18 so bad. Happy b day!!!

Thanks bud. :D

I couldn't reccommend the 18 enough. It is "the knife" for me. If I had to choose only one, like you typically do on the internet lol It would be one of the model 18s, hands down.

Now to get the no saw teeth 18s

ETA: I've been playing with the Airman a lot today too, didn't last as a safe queen long, lol. It's a very handy, all around knife. The 7.5" 18 is just a straight up fun knife.

Another pic of the two. I'm going to document the "aging process" of this Airman with pics, usage stats, dates, etc then make a thread about it. Let it patina naturally, show how the sheath and all wears. Will be a neat thread I think.

PC060008_zpsa99a71ec.jpg

Machine, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the two lengths of the 18. I'm going to order one as a retirement gift to myself and can't decide what lenght I want.

The 7.5", mine anyway is larger in everyway in the blade. It's a bit taller/broader, 2 inches longer and even appears a little thicker to my eye(would need calipers to determine this). Overall it's much larger than the 5.5", not just "2 inches longer" like you'd picture in your head.

I've been using the 5.5" a lot the past few years, it's really grown on me, great all around blade. IF I had to choose just one, I would've went with the 7.5" first back when I got my 5.5". It's larger and more fun. :D

The 7.5", mine anyway is larger in everyway in the blade. It's a bit taller/broader, 2 inches longer and even appears a little thicker to my eye(would need calipers to determine this). Overall it's much larger than the 5.5", not just "2 inches longer" like you'd picture in your head.

I've been using the 5.5" a lot the past few years, it's really grown on me, great all around blade. IF I had to choose just one, I would've went with the 7.5" first back when I got my 5.5". It's larger and more fun. :D

Thanks! I've been leaning toward the longer blade lately. It'll be about a year before I put the order in, who knows how many more times I'll change my mind.

Yeah bro, knife you want can change hourly. Probably change your mind a thousand times and come full circle back to the original. That's what I typically do, lol.

Great looking knives, M26. Quick question, on the two #18s, are the handles the same length? If not, what is the difference?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Thanks, TAH. Both are the same length.

The guards are different though as are the end caps. Guard on the 5.5" is not as wide and pointer, the 7.5" guard is more oblong.

Here's a pic.

PC170121_zpseb81e62a.jpg

Thanks M. I like them both. The 5.5" is compact and a little more practical for general use. The 7.5" is all business. I think it would be really hard to pick a favorite on these two. :thumbup:

YW bud.

I like them both, the short one has sentimental value obviously, BUT if I had to do over again, I would've got the bigger one first. It's one impressive hunk of steel. It also seems to make more sense to have a bigger blade with that big hilt.

ETA: Not saying the 5.5 incher isn't a nice hunk of steel too.

And you're right, the shorter one is a good general purpose blade and very practical, but how does practicality compare to Rambo badassness? lol

Back