1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

BK-2 Vs. Toyotoa HiLux

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by grinter, Aug 26, 2015.

1. MacTech

MacTech

Jan 7, 2006
    As Top Gear has so ably proven as well

And big cheers to Ethan Becker for customer service far beyond the call of duty, more proof that Becker knives are more than simple knives...

2. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    ah, to own a european diesel hilux. for cheap. for recless tasks. a minor dream of mine :D

though, i do kinda want a truck beater...

3. MOCraig

MOCraig

Apr 8, 2013
    I personally wouldn't take Ethan up on the offer, because I don't believe the knife failed. You indicated you realized even at the time that what you were doing was borderline. The tip broke, but the knife stayed intact and you drove home.

Put it on a belt sander, reshape the tip, and enjoy your unique 2, with a story of how it came to look like that.

4. Bollingern

Bollingern

Jun 30, 2013
    This is why I come back to Beckers.....

5. Cody4x4

Cody4x4

Feb 27, 2013
    If i were in your shoes, I would personally hit the grinder with that. Fixing your broken blades is a great way to learn without risking a new blade in the process. Not only that but it makes it your own, battle wounds and all.

As far as the ascetics of the blade - I would use this as an excuse to get a second BK2. keep the old one in the truck for extra rough use, and use the new one for normal BK2 abuse.

With all that being said, the choice is yours - keep us posted with what you decide!

6. edh3007

edh3007

Sep 26, 2014
    I would so grind the blade tip to my liking - but I've been down this road before (not a Becker but same thing to me).

Doing it is good experience and the results will be there to remind you of the trip.

7. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    While the offer to replace the knife is outstanding, especially considering the circumstances, I would strip the blade and regrind it...
    There is still a lot of good knife left, and you can make it your own. Besides, that knife gave its all to get you out of a bad spot, so in my mind you owe it to the knife to keep it.

8. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    shit, might as well claim a warranty on that piece of shit hilux :D send it to me.

9. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    :D :thumbup:

10. rkmoore

rkmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2010
    I know this sounds ridiculous but a diesel Hi Lux is my dream car! I may have to move to another hemisphere to get one but..... someday.

11. grinter

grinter

Sep 13, 2012
    Ok, looks like it's a consensus.
    Thank you very much for the offer Mr. Becker, but I'll keep my current BK2. When I find the time and equipment (it will be a while), I'll grind the tip and upload photos.
    ...and Bladite gets the HiLux (careful in the rough spots until you get a new skid plate).

12. ponq

ponq

Nov 11, 2013
    Awesome thread.
    Puts a warm spot in my belly...along with the whiskey I just finished.
    I can't wait to see what your BK2 looks like after the nose job.

13. zakjak221

zakjak221 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2010
    ^^Great Decision^^
    Well Done Ethan & We appreciate the way you treat your customers!

14. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    Mod it! Drop the point or make it a flat chisel tip for more prying!

15. SynSerp

SynSerp

Dec 28, 2014
    ^ So now someone who can help this guy out should step up and fill the big bosses offer. Can anyone mod this puppy for him?

16. SynSerp

SynSerp

Dec 28, 2014
    It goes to show that if you have pride and care for your trade, one will go to length to show everyone their quality. Ethan definitely has quality in his blood and shows it each time I see his posts.

17. Ethan Becker

Ethan Becker Moderator Moderator

Sep 1, 1999
    Hey Grinter....

If you want, I will be happy to do the rebuild.......

Ethan

18. jius

jius

May 13, 2014
    Another great Ethan offer!!! I know now why Becker's are so good - the are created from pure karma!!!

19. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    Holy Crap! I think I might go smack around my 5 with a hammer and say it suffered a tragedy while I was saving some puppies!
    ...Maybe I will get a Becker redone by The Man himself!
    -----------

In all seriousness, I am astonished on a regular basis with how Mr. Becker handles himself and others when it comes to a "help a brother out" type of situation.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to become devotees.

20. Ethan Becker

Ethan Becker Moderator Moderator

Sep 1, 1999
    Hey NjBillK.......

Thank you..... It is a pleasure to hang out with fellow knife nuts....... As many of you know I have been collecting and using knives for over sixty years....... First blade was a Plumb hatchet (birthday aged seven) and I am still very much in love with my obsession...... The people who inhabit this forum have endowed me with many friends, some of them quite close...... And , of course you guys buy my knives which, makes me happy because, like any designer it makes me feel good and, you all do feed my bank account...... If I can lend a hand..... You betcha......... Grinter was very ethical, I thought and the least I could do........, ya, I love the brotherhood steel... Good folks spend time there.....

Ethan