BK-62 Kephart ordered, do you have one?

How did you thicken the handle…add liners?
Thanks!

Yes, I made brass ones.
It also does a wonderful job of balancing, adding weight to the handle.
And adding thickness.
I've done it to a few of my knives

If you search here, there are a couple good threads from when this knife first came out..... Ethan, would even chime in.....

Ricasso measures at 0.160" on mine. The thickest part of my BK-62 *blade* (I only have one actual '62 to test) is 0.135". Due to the way they grind these - machinery, etc., it's a tad narrower at the spine where the plunge meets the spine, gently thickens, then tapers again. So it's a variation of about 0.015", which is not a lot. Having hand-ground a number of kepharts with nearly identical blade shapes, I have a pretty good idea why Ka-bar's process/result is 1) different from mine, and 2) comes out this way. Not a bad thing, just a thing.

If you're a fan of high-performance thin outdoors knives, take a look at Big Chris. He specializes in thin stuff (and competition choppers).

I will check out Big Chris. I've heard/read about him, but haven't seen his work.

I will check out Big Chris. I've heard/read about him, but haven't seen his work.

He really is big. I shook his hand at BLADE-2019, and my slim-size-large hand disappeared. When he wields a competition chopper, WATCH OUT!

Yes, I made brass ones.
It also does a wonderful job of balancing, adding weight to the handle.
And adding thickness.
I've done it to a few of my knives

If you search here, there are a couple good threads from when this knife first came out..... Ethan, would even chime in.....
That’s badass. Looks like it belongs on that knife. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You guys are killing me.. now I need a 62. I just ordered the 7 less than month ago and got a Buck 110 pro on the way (really needed a new edc folder). My wife is gonna start questioning all the brown boxes that supposedly contain “cheap screwdrivers I need for work”.

That’s badass. Looks like it belongs on that knife. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks....
I really like how I did the fasteners.
The look feels original...... IF fasteners were actually used on the knife......

(Old pics)

I can't wait for nicer weather to take pics again.

Or we need a fresh coat of snow...... Either way. Haha

Last edited:
I was actually pleasantly surprised when the FEDEX truck pulled up and delivered my BK62 today! It didnt come yesterday and I figured I wouldnt see it til tomorrow!

First impressions were good! The handle fits my hand well! The sheath is well built and tight! I had to work to get the knife in.

The edge felt sharp, but wouldnt pop hair, so I need to give it a good sharpening.

I had to blow snow, so I strapped it on my belt to see how it carried while moving snow. After two plus hours outside blowing, chipping ice and shoveling, I forgot it was on my hip! nI even like the design of the sheath so far!

Ill get it sharpened up and give it a workout beside my Garberg and BK-16 and get back to you!

Congrats on getting it in. Great knife man. Mine came hair popping sharp. Sucks that yours didn't.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when the FEDEX truck pulled up and delivered my BK62 today! It didnt come yesterday and I figured I wouldnt see it til tomorrow!

First impressions were good! The handle fits my hand well! The sheath is well built and tight! I had to work to get the knife in.

The edge felt sharp, but wouldnt pop hair, so I need to give it a good sharpening.

I had to blow snow, so I strapped it on my belt to see how it carried while moving snow. After two plus hours outside blowing, chipping ice and shoveling, I forgot it was on my hip! nI even like the design of the sheath so far!

Ill get it sharpened up and give it a workout beside my Garberg and BK-16 and get back to you!
try stropping it - that may be all it needs.

I worked with the 62 and 16 for about an hour side by side today. The 62 felt better and seemed to cut/carve wood easier in every comparison except one and that was a tie!

I was working with the belly of both going for a smooth surface by carving a thin layer of wood with a slicing action, aided by a second thumb push. Ethan seems to have made the 16’s belly perform almost identically to the 62, hence a tie!

If I had to choose only one today, it would be the 62!

The extra length and heft, imo, helped perform in tasks like light splitting. The thinner profile helped it slice easier when cutting and carving. At the end, I took a tiny piece of wood and made some ridiculously tiny and thin curls. This was after testing the two blades for an hour, so the edge retention was fantastic!

The handle fit my hand perfectly! I couldnt find any issues with it in a variety of grips and continuous use. It has the perfect thickness, length and width for me.

I havent been this impressed by a knife in ages. The last time was probably my Benchmade Contego which Ive had as an EDC for eight years now.

I will now recommend the BK-62 every chance I can!

I worked with the 62 and 16 for about an hour side by side today. The 62 felt better and seemed to cut/carve wood easier in every comparison except one and that was a tie!

I was working with the belly of both going for a smooth surface by carving a thin layer of wood with a slicing action, aided by a second thumb push. Ethan seems to have made the 16’s belly perform almost identically to the 62, hence a tie!

If I had to choose only one today, it would be the 62!

The extra length and heft, imo, helped perform in tasks like light splitting. The thinner profile helped it slice easier when cutting and carving. At the end, I took a tiny piece of wood and made some ridiculously tiny and thin curls. This was after testing the two blades for an hour, so the edge retention was fantastic!

The handle fit my hand perfectly! I couldnt find any issues with it in a variety of grips and continuous use. It has the perfect thickness, length and width for me.

I havent been this impressed by a knife in ages. The last time was probably my Benchmade Contego which Ive had as an EDC for eight years now.

I will now recommend the BK-62 every chance I can!

And honestly.....it gets even better the more you use it.
Going back to other knives is hard

Back