BK-62 Kephart ordered, do you have one?

It's my favorite fixed blade hands down. Paired with a good axe, this would be my choice for a "survival" knife. I love what Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer did with the brass liners. It IS a little thin for my skinny but large hands. The extra weight would be nice too.

Just got back from a hike around the property with my 3yo son. Used it for minor trail clearing of ceanothus (wild lilac) and cutting an apple. It's been cold for here... hail still in some of the shadier spots.
20220223_105509.jpg20220223_110155.jpg20220223_122629.jpg20220223_104827.jpg

Hey all! I've been silent here on the forum for a number of years, but peek in now and then. I've got a BK62 on the way, due to arrive this week. I'd like to protect the walnut scales from water as this knife will see daily use. What's are your suggestions for this?

I see Mineral Oil suggested quite often. Is this one of the better ways to do it? Are there any downsides to Mineral Oil? I never knew it could be used on wood? I know I wipe it into my bone scales now and then to freshen them up. Wood is ok for it also? Does it need to be re-applied periodically?

Tung Oil is another I see suggested. Or BLO...

HELP!

Will post pics when I get it.

I’ve been looking at them for a while and I received a 10% discount text from SMKW for Valentines day…along with the free shipping over $75, it was $117 for a Becker Kephart BK-62, so I ordered one.

I will now get to see firsthand, what all the hype is about with the design!

How many of you already have one?

Thanks!

Have one.

LOVE it. The tapered tang is such a nice touch. :)

u0FMiXa.jpg

Ki3Ke4n.jpg

Hey all! I've been silent here on the forum for a number of years, but peek in now and then. I've got a BK62 on the way, due to arrive this week. I'd like to protect the walnut scales from water as this knife will see daily use. What's are your suggestions for this?

I see Mineral Oil suggested quite often. Is this one of the better ways to do it? Are there any downsides to Mineral Oil? I never knew it could be used on wood? I know I wipe it into my bone scales now and then to freshen them up. Wood is ok for it also? Does it need to be re-applied periodically?

HELP!

Using oils like mineral oil too often can soften the wood up and potentially cause damage. That being said I still use tsubaki oil on mine occasionally because it's food safe, and I use my BK62 for food prep quite often while camping. Gives the wood a nice luster, and offers some protection. Wipe on a nice coating of oil, and then wipe it off and you shouldn't ever have any issues. Some people like to soak their wood scales in mineral oil for some reason. I really don't recommend that.

On knives that have wood scales, and aren't going to be used for food prep, I like to use Renaissance Wax or Johnson's Paste Wax.

Enjoy the BK62! It's a SWEET knife.

pure tung oil cures hard and is food safe - takes a couple weeks to fully cure.
Walnut oil cures hard and is food safe - takes a couple weeks to fully cure.
Danish oil is a mix of tung, BLO, and a few other things -- not technically food safe, but once cured fairly inert.
BLO/"boiled" linseed oil takes a couple of weeks to cure and technically isn't food safe because of the chemicals added to help it cure faster.
melting paste wax in gives you a good, hard finish that's easy to repair.
straight mineral oil adds no protection on its own. -- "butcher block oil" is a food safe wiping "varnish" that is food safe, easy to add, and cures pretty quick without adding significant color
beeswax and parrafin work best if melted into a paste with mineral oil or walnut oil, that can then be spread onto the wood and melted in.

if you really want to go nuts, flood the scales with the oil of your choice and lightly sand them with 320-400 grit so the pores are filled with sawdust and oil -- as the oil dries, it'll cement the sawdust in and give you a really smooth, even surface -- but you may lose a little grain definition.

I alternate between using danish oil and sno-seal (yes, it's a leather dressing, but it works pretty well on knife handles, too)

HELP!

I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the suggestions of the finishes mentioned above. I used mineral oil because it’s good for cutting boards and the conveyance . I use it on the steel to. 😁 Seems to work well at repelling the wet stuff.
40D0335B-F665-4817-9AA0-5F396E92E866.jpegB8E1981D-A180-4B12-80FA-ECDF8BACE57E.jpegE2EF0DF2-6511-4A9A-8930-271E1A23E001.jpgE6119E84-6587-4D2C-9AEF-67722F26CF65.jpeg

Love seeing these worn wood scales. I may have to move mine back to wood from the micarta just because of the authentic look and feel.

Ha! I was thinking something similar... But about the Micarta scales, lol!

They look so great, I think I'm gonna need to pick a set up. Gotta have options! Maybe I should just snag another BK62 so I don't have to choose which to rock though... :p

Knife is so easy to just grab & go. Slim and light, and slices so well. So simple, but never fails to impress.
I sealed my scales with tung oil, but removed 'em first (to get both sides, and not worry that it isn't technically Food Safe.)

0FRHRVs.jpg

Back