BK 62

Not:

2v2EaYjJTxACRfS.jpg

Thank you for the answer! Im Swedish and to me the Kephart design is like a Mora, not exciting or exotic, but a solid knife that is made to do everything but not in the BK2 kind of way, like a Mora Garberg, boring but oh so good. I was planing on using the BK62 as a buddy to my BK2 do be able to do basically everything I need to when out in the woods and/or fishing.

Thank you for the answer! Im Swedish and to me the Kephart design is like a Mora, not exciting or exotic, but a solid knife that is made to do everything but not in the BK2 kind of way, like a Mora Garberg, boring but oh so good. I was planing on using the BK62 as a buddy to my BK2 do be able to do basically everything I need to when out in the woods and/or fishing.
You're very welcome. And don't be a stranger, always good to have new people aboard. You'll fall in love with the 62. :thumbsup:

And btw, Im not in love with skeletonization, I prefer just solid material in the tang. I do like the heft that it brings to the knives with solid tang.

If you like Heft....as do I..... Somewhere around Here I have a bunch of BK62 mods that I have done..... One of the things I did was Added brass liners under the scales. It COMPLEATELY changes the feel of the knife!
It adds a just the right amount of thickness, and the increase in weight is Amazing. It's very handle heavy. I can open my hand up and it just stays there...lol I have two versions of the BK62 (well I bought the first for my young daughter)

The two feel night and day different... Me personally I much prefer my thicker/heavier one.

*Im at work now, and idk how to search the forums for my pics..... I'll try to remember to repost some, if you want?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bk62.1615847/

Lots of good threads about the 62 if you search.....
*I personally started a few, but didn't want to push My posts....haha

The link above has some good pics and info too...It Might have been the first post on the 62, IDK?
(my brass shims are in the mid 200's as far as posting #) Let me know if you have any questions.

Out of curiosity, do anyone know how alike 1095 is to the original steel used?
I'm not sure if anyone knows what the original steel was.

If you arenโ€™t aware the tang is tapered to lighten it without skeletonizing it. It balances very well. Itโ€™s a great knife.

I was thinking the same. I feel like you could make a really lightweight most-purpose-knife if you skeletonize the handle if you're willing to mess up the balance a bit. It's already a very good weight for what you get without taking out more material in the handle. The BK62 is a winner for sure.

I was thinking the same. I feel like you could make a really lightweight most-purpose-knife if you skeletonize the handle if you're willing to mess up the balance a bit. It's already a very good weight for what you get without taking out more material in the handle. The BK62 is a winner for sure.

kind of an expensive knife to buy just to mod. It's appeal is in the historical accuracy. It hit the mark really well. If you want a different knife, make one or have one made, in the steel of your choice, at a hardness to perform the tasks you desire.

kind of an expensive knife to buy just to mod. It's appeal is in the historical accuracy. It hit the mark really well. If you want a different knife, make one or have one made, in the steel of your choice, at a hardness to perform the tasks you desire.

Agree to disagree. I don't think it's expensive for starters; I've seen far more expensive knives modded with for the better. It can have more appeal than just for historical accuracy too. I appreciate the history behind it, but the appeal does not stop there. I will likely always keep one in the stock configuration, but modding another is completely within reason, IMO.

"If you want a different knife, make one or have one made, in the steel of your choice, at a hardness to perform the tasks you desire."

What if the different knife I wanted was a Kephart pattern, in a simple carbon steel, with historic proportions but lighter weight for hiking? Drilling out some material under the handle seems like a very reasonable way to do that cost effectively. It seems a bit silly, in my mind, to ask a maker to copy the BK62 just for a lighter weight edition when I could just mod the BK62 and get exactly what I want. It's like you're saying people should stop modding Beckers and just buy or make a different knife.

If all you want to do is drill holes in it, then that's not much of a mod and I retract my comment. Perhaps I read too quickly.
How much weight do you think you'll save? If you do it, please show the resulting tang and resulting weight difference. I'm curious, and am sure others will be.

I did NOT say "people should stop modding Beckers", and it is NOT "as if" I was saying so. My comment was SPECIFICALLY targeted to the BK-62, which is a (very good) attempt to re-create something specific, rather than less-expensive (per ounce? per inch?) other designs, which don't exist with quite the same rigid criteria of sub-cultural acceptance. However, it's a mass-produced knife, so ultimately: whatev's.

I did NOT say "people should stop modding Beckers", and it is NOT "as if" I was saying so. My comment was SPECIFICALLY targeted to the BK-62, which is a (very good) attempt to re-create something specific, rather than less-expensive (per ounce? per inch?) other designs, which don't exist with quite the same rigid criteria of sub-cultural acceptance. However, it's a mass-produced knife, so ultimately: whatev's.

I know, I was carrying it to the extreme because I see a lot of Bk9's get modded and it's not much cheaper than the BK62. I just disagree that wanting a different knife that is very similar to the BK62 but with some material removed from the tang would warrant looking at getting a different knife or a custom. Most of which you stated in the 1st paragraph of your reply.

As far as weight savings, I would estimate about 5-10% weight loss. Not a ton, it's already pretty light for what you get which was a surprise to me when counting ounces when looking for a hiking fixed blade. I then realized I already had it in the BK62, though it was not at all what I intended to buy it for. This is where my comment about the historical accuracy and significance not being the only appeal for a BK62 comes in, because the history is why I originally bought it but when looking for a specific knife for a specific purpose, the BK62 turned out to be a very good option, and I already had it. The blade shape also makes a great peanut butter spreader :D.

Last edited:
if you're looking for a way to shave some grams, you might try convexing the top 1/3 of the blade towards the spine, which would result in a closer to the original shape although slightly thinner. Take a look at Mike McCarter's kephart for an example.

Figured I'd better put my steel where my mouth is, so tonight I finally executed the beginning of an overdue study.
AU-62 (KephAUrt?) is now in the tempering oven. Needs a minor warp taken out of the tang and it will be good to go:

IMG_20200105_220435-small.jpg

They could be made in different sizes, but wouldn't be bolt-on handle compatible:

IMG_20200105_193510-small.jpg

Back