Bk16 Saber grind

If I had the time, I would try picking up a TOPS bob and drilling/shaping the tang for my spare tweener (bk15) scales to fit.
I know it won't be Kabar/Becker 1095crovan, but it will be a Saber grind, similar bade length and Becker handle shape.

But, for the time invested and money spend on the Bob, it might be more prudent to wait and grab a Saber ground 16 if/when I see one...

Received this when I ordered a 16 last summer. Old stock. Had to order another full flat grind

Cannon%20power%20shot%20camera%201st%20Picture%20transfer%207-1-15%20372_zpseowlstlg.jpg

Last edited:
So, a few words on the BOB. The grind is lower, closer to a Scandi....but the cutting performance is still top notch. I also find the handle very comfortable. Not as much contouring as the BK16, but still quite comfortable. Feels very solid in hand and in use. 1095 seems done very well. Shango notch? Jury's still out on that one, but it does strike the included firesteel well. Sheath is good, belt clip sucks. Bear in mind these are my opinions.....but I like my FFG 16's and don't feel the need to track down a saber ground one. The BOB is thicker stock, and feels like it, it's "quieter" when carving feather sticks. YMMV, but it's worth a look, IMO.

Unfortunately the last one that I was willing to let go went with the Nord Contingent at the last Blade Show. Keep your eyes open, they do crop up occasionally. Also, good luck beating me to it.

I have one and that's one that will never leave my collection - I've been actually looking for a second one and watching that one for 160 on that online bidding place incase the price comes down any. I want one to beat on and one to baby a bit.

8a916ad45fc1e89ee2b9c7da596a61b7.jpg
this beauty just showed up in the bay, i got lucky and was able to get it as soon as they posted, so i have three so far.[emoji41]

If you're wanting to try something similar but not Becker, I'd suggest the TOPS B.O.B. Very similar in shape and profile, though a tad thicker and with G-10 or Micarta scales. Love my Beckers, but still have the B.O.B. Also, the TOPS has a bit more real estate in the handle area....

9825746705_2bde829f2f_b.jpg

Reasonably priced on the exchange, the last one I got was under a Benjamin.
This...The tops BOB is an excellent alternative..

I love the handle on the bk16, it's about the most comfy knife I own to use imo, and I love the performance I get out of the BOBs blade..

sooo I'm actually planning on having a custom made utilizing the bk16 handle shape and thickness with a blade very similar to the tops BOB made out of 3v...looking forward to getting it going.

Yeah, something like that is in my near future as well.

I really want a BK77 but I figured for that price I can get a custom to my specs, then a ffg 3v 17ish or clipped 16ish style to match.

Keep us posted on that! If Ka-Bar won't do it, I guess we gotta do what we gotta do lol

Well oh my. get off the grid for just a bit and my bay listing gets famous.

Now I'm more then happy that all you guys found your saber 16s for a "reasonable" price but I paid more for mine then what I'm selling it for.

Frankly like most owners of a saber 16 I don't even want to sell it. Times are hard and sadly some beckers got to go.

Yeah, something like that is in my near future as well.

I really want a BK77 but I figured for that price I can get a custom to my specs, then a ffg 3v 17ish or clipped 16ish style to match.

Keep us posted on that! If Ka-Bar won't do it, I guess we gotta do what we gotta do lol
That was my original idea, for a lil more than the price of a saber 16 I could just have one made out of 3v...but then I got to thinking...what if I take what I love about this and put it with what I love about that and thus my Franken bob 16 idea was born lol

After a good night's sleep it dawns on me, the only other person wbo acquired them at a rate even close to mine was Dex Withers. He might have some to sell.

Well oh my. get off the grid for just a bit and my bay listing gets famous.

Now I'm more then happy that all you guys found your saber 16s for a "reasonable" price but I paid more for mine then what I'm selling it for.

Frankly like most owners of a saber 16 I don't even want to sell it. Times are hard and sadly some beckers got to go.

I can't blame you in the slightest for the price tag - personally it would take a hell of a lot more than that to pry mine away from me, but sadly the funds to keep buying beckers is not as plentiful as I would like - best of luck with the sale either way, hopefully it goes to another current or future beckerhead

Wish we had our own exchange for a Beckerheads discount.

I agree that there should be a test run or something for the saber grind, they'd sell out for sure, maybe not at msrp. This may be something that should go thru a dealer like SMKW. A dealer could guarantee the minimum quantity required. Preorders would probably help to convince them.

There was the BK10LE...
I wasn't here back then but Ka-Bar collaborated with this SubForum to sell them before releasing them to the public...just saying...

Then SMKW had the exclusive FPR tweeners

Back