BK20 - Post 'Em Up When They Come In

Need to revive the old glamour shot thread with this one. I love the way the green reflects on the Blade. Great pic! Did you hit it with some grit or are the grind lines light?

Thanks! I hit it lightly with 220 but this blade has the faintest grind lines I've ever seen on a Kabar Becker. Maybe it's the disc grinder they used on this model?

Last edited:
Need to revive the old glamour shot thread with this one. I love the way the green reflects on the Blade. Great pic! Did you hit it with some grit or are the grind lines light?
My hat is off to both of you . Your Mod's look great and for doing them before the paint even dried .

mine arrived today - thinking about opening up the handles a bit this weekend.

overall, I can only paraphrase Derek when I say "it's more right than it looks" :D

This isn't all my Beckers, just what was close and handy, some old and a few brand spanking new. The BK20 feels so light in my hand, awesome blade.

Untitled by redmech, on Flickr

I really like your twine-wrapped BK16, gives it a very primal look that appeals to me quite a bit. :thumbup:

This is the kind of Bowie I imagined when I was a kid... Love this thing! I've got a 10 mile mountain hike coming up... This is coming along... You know, in case I need to whittle marshmallow sticks, or run into Godzilla...

2vs4z78.jpg

2ugkrpe.jpg

saw my own pics and just polished it up with a little sandpaper... post again later!

I really like your twine-wrapped BK16, gives it a very primal look that appeals to me quite a bit. :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliment. I made a thread a couple years ago on how I did it. Feel free to ask any questions if there is anything I could answer. This was my first wrap, I've refined the process a little bit. Rick Marchand and David Farmer was where I drew my inspriration from for that knife.

Got to do a bit chopping with the 20 today. Bites in deep, great wood killa. Very happy got this one. Will hopefully get to put it through more paces soon.

bPcLyKW.jpg

q9GJkUn.jpg

hvoIAHE.jpg

UPS guy finally arrived just before 8. I started thinking that maybe today just wasn't going to be the day.

Fortunately I was wrong.

It's a thing of beauty.

Got mines today! Pictures will follow, maybe a new thread. I kinda wanna play. ;)

My mum knows me so well :)

She came to me this morning and asked if I wanted to use my new big knife (yeah, I showed off the Bk20 last night) to take down a large branch in the backyard that was encroaching on the house. I couldn't say no, it was all too easy for her. :p

my BK20's first taste of wood was a good one.

Sij5qj1h.jpg

I decided her first job was a test chop through the branch after it had been taken down with a pole saw. flawless victory.

GnTEKqeh.jpg

WlwF7I6h.jpg

Next up was filleting the branch for yard waste dumping. Needed to trim to <12in pieces, perfect. First was the trimming of the main trunk, it was a big branch... (BK20 for scale)

LKUzX8Ah.jpg

Next up was filleting the smaller branches. This was a fine piece of tree, would be a shame if something... happened to it...

vAd4K2Rh.jpg

...oops.

dOcbR6Sh.jpg

Final result: BK20 - 1 : Branch - 0

9WB9j9Kh.jpg

Looks even prettier dirty.

5jiyPMUh.jpg

iLCnYI1h.jpg

tKMJLqoh.jpg

Impression after first use: It feels like the BK9 cheated on the BK2 with a Parangatang and gave birth to a hybrid chopping machine, this thing just doesn't stop chopping. Tip-heavy but not too heavy, means tip chops are just as easy as proper swings, and after a whole 45 minutes of fun I was no worse for wear.

I may have a new belt knife, my BK9 is jealous already and my Parangatang is nervous. Well done Ethan :thumbup:

The scales I have coming still haven't arrived; so I haven't opened the box, yet.
On the lighter side of the news - I ended up with a surprise when UPS dropped off another one yesterday. I think it might have been a nicer surprise if the payment didn't come out of an account I fund; but it's the thought that counts, lol.
Having one for using and one for saving seemed to make sense, especially since there were only 450 made. Finding out I have 3 feels a little weird, honestly...and I'm not sure why. I'm sure I'll get over it, though.

Back