BK7 durability concern

akabu said:
I would like with your permission to post the pictures and description...
Sure thing, no problem amigo. The info and pics I put out on the internet (especially on the forums) I figure is in the public domain and is for public consumption. Otherwise I'd watermark it. ;)

Definitely a valid point about the easier undoing of a Cow Hitch vs the itty bitty extra turn I made, which would be a major pain to undo with gloves on.

I agree with Gutsy, ya should patent that idea...... or at least the Akabu Loop name for it. :D

No patent !:eek: If just one guy use's it and it save's his/her butt or blade worth it.

I wish to add that with this loop you can pull on one "leg" and tighten it up so it's more secure in your hand LOL

I noticed that the beveled lanyard loop tightening washer in the Jerry Hossom machete mods pics was a lot thicker than the neoprene washers I got. Washer envy set in and I felt so inadequate with my skinny little neoprene washers on the Akabu Loops I had made. ;) :D

So I stopped at the local hardware store and found faucet repair washers that look like the ones in the machete pics. I got a few "bibb bevel washer, size 00 (double zero)" because the hole in size 00 looked about right for putting the squeeze on two thicknesses of 550 paracord. The price was in the 25-30 cents each range. I took them home and added Akabu Loops to some more knives.

The thicker faucet washers work MUCH, MUCH BETTER than the skinny flat washers shown in my earlier pics. The bibb washers slide harder than the skinny flat washers by having more surface area bearing against the paracord. But consequently they are more secure (less inclined to slide around on their own) than the flat washers and IMHO will offer a much longer service life than the thinner washers.

Bottom Line: get bibb bevel faucet washers in size 00 for making paracord Akabu Loops on your knives. :thumbup:

My Bad I did not make clear the type of washer:(
you can thead a doubled up loop of thin cord and put it through the washer then thread the larger cord [soap it up] and pull it through:)

adding update
I settled on the rubber washer after trying necked down copper tubeing, wooden beads, leather washer's,spring toggles,soda straw's but they did not fit my need's for ease of use.
The rubber washer combined with the right cord gives a very very good friction fit.
Keep in mind that some cord and slider’s absorb water and dirt and swell or jam.

Back