BK7 mod by request

bladesmith3

Gold Member
I have been asked to start a thread showing WIP MODS on my new BK7
thank you for the interest and feel free to make comments and suggestions.
I could do more mods in the future on other BK models if there is interest.
the subject of a longer BK2 started this idea when I posted that I made a longer Bk2 for myself because they are not available. so I will start with that pic.
I made a BK2L (long version) for myself. I couldn't buy one so I made it. 1095 steel 1" longer then my bk2

bk2l-finished-jpg.707888

it does have a small choil for sharpening. in the first pic I lined up the plunge line so the blade length difference is shown.
even though the handle looks smaller then the bk2 it is actually a bigger grip as shown in the second pic.
I had originally shaped it to fit a stock bk grip but thought twice about making a copy. so I shaped it to my hand. the one I made has a blade an inch longer and a larger hand pocket but the OAL is only 1/2" longer. feels great in the hand.

bk2l3-jpg.707899

bk2l4-jpg.707900

then I got the idea to mod a new BK7 into a similar knife but looking more like a Becker BK2L (long version)
ok here is the deal. I picked up a new bk7. I am going to mod it into a BK2L.
it should be very cool when finished. comments welcome. EVERYTHING OUTSIDE THE SCRIBE LINES WILL BE REMOVED.

20170514_001127-jpg.708252
20170513_235127-jpg.708253

20170514_001205-jpg.708256

the 1st pic shows the stock blade before shaping. the second pic shows how much steel has been removed. this is just the rough profile. it will improve.

b4-jpg.708358
cut1-jpg.708359

my bk7 mod next to a bk2

20170514_140556-jpg.708552

a question was raised by
The WarriorGold MemberGold Member
Mar 11, 2011
Was wondering if you were going to grind the spine flush all the way down, and make new scales? Looks like there's a transition where the finger is pointing. I know this is the rough grind, just wondering.

EDIT: I think I'm seeing an ink line behind the spine.

cut1a.jpg

yes the spine was flattened on a machined flat platen. stock was removed from the spine but as you will see the handle now fits perfect. the pic is an optical illusion. the spine is flat and 90 degrees. the micarta scales are bone stock other then the dye job.

20170514_132920-jpg.708535

Last edited:
up until this point it took about 4 hours. BUT ................... BIG BUT..................
the knife HAS NOT HAD THE FRONT OF THE BLADE REPROFILED AT THIS POINT IN TIME.
it is still that way for the photos. and I am waiting to see if someone makes a suggestion for more mods
before I finalize the blade. there is no way to preserve the black coating on the blade and make it sharp.
I hope that makes sense. so most people would want to etch the blade at this point and then strip it
and reprofile the blade.

Your work looks good! Thanks for sharing! Please don't take the next part the wrong way. I am just wondering if I am missing something?

Except for your handle mod and the ramp being removed, isn't this basically just a BK12? Except the grind is higher on the bk12 and it has the brass weights.

I would like to see more drop points. A drop point BK9 would be nice to see. :)

Last edited:
Excellent job on this mod. And I agree with Warrior, certainly deserving of its own thread. Will be looking forward to seeing some of your other work.

Your work looks good! Thanks for sharing! Please don't take the next part the wrong way. I am just wondering if I am missing something?

Except for your handle mod and the ramp being removed, isn't this basically just a BK12? Except the grind is higher on the bk12 and it has the brass weights.

I would like to see more drop points. A drop point BK9 would be nice to see. :)

of course this is similar to the bk12. but.. to make a bk12 like my mod which I made to my own liking. I would have to do the same mods to the bk12. remove the ramp, remove the
curve along the spine, and all the handle mods. then they would be very similar. but the bk12 costs a lot more money and is more rare. so the bk7 became the target of my trials.

Again, looks awesome man, great work. Good to see it got it's own thread.

Re-profiling the grind at the front of the blade would seem to be the hardest part of the mod for the average guy, if they just used the factory scales and didn't re-shape the pommel and add custom scales?

Looks great,I like it a lot !

Last edited:
Nice work on the shortened 7
Post the tip re-profile when your done

Id like a longer arc from the tip back on the edge. I found I like a knife with a arced belly edge to it like the 15 has, opposed to just a straight edge

Nice work bladesmith. The 7 mod Looks like a winner to me.

That looks sweet! I wish we could get that into production. What did you use to cut or grind back the tip. I've never modified a knifes overall shape but after seeing this I may need to give it a try

I saw off the tip. the grinding is done on a bader3 2x72 belt grinder. most people don't have big grinders but smaller and much more
inexpensive belt sanders can do the same job it just takes longer. the problem with the small tools is that they generate lots of heat.
so you spend as much time dunking the blade to keep it cool as you do grinding. heat is a hardened blades worst enemy. I have a cooling spray system
for my bader that can keep the blade cool the entire time. but the tradeoff is that it is kinda messy. I still like a bucket of cold water to cool steel. lol

this is the misting system that I use, cheap and effective but like I say messy.
I still like a dunk bucket I don't get wet that way. lol. I have it loaned out to another maker to try so I used the stock pic. I have tried several misting systems and all require you to wear a waterproof apron. so grind slow dunk a lot.

Kool Mist - 1 Outlet, Tankless Mist Coolant Unit
4' Coolant Line Length, 18" Hose Length
Mfr Part #: 60M18
MSC Part #: 09413188
rating-5_0.gif
5.0 Read 3 review | Write a review

upload_2017-5-17_8-55-46.png

Last edited:
Back