1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

BK9 on the way

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by bikerector, Apr 14, 2019.

1. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Found a nice price on a BK9 in the exchange, and with micarta handles to boot. After trying out a few other Beckers, it's probably about time I got the king to add to the collection. I'm excited. It's a size I like a lot for trail maintenance tasks, combined with a silky big boy, and pruners... occasionally even busting out the full-size axe to build trail features out of downed trees. And they're just fun for when I want to go beat on some deadfall in the backwoods for some enthusiastic exercise.

That is all.

While I wait, here are pics of some other beckers I've had.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    it's a good knife - some folks prefer it over the 4 as a chopper, even.

Tanker 1/66, Xr6x and GeofS like this.
  3. The Warrior

The Warrior -Dubzerator- Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Great knife, congrats. I prefer it over the 4, but, to be fair, if I had the 4 first, and was more acquainted with it, I may have liked it better.

Xr6x, JJ_Colt45, MolokaiRider and 2 others like this.
  4. GeofS

GeofS Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    There is only one King. Great knife, enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Xr6x and MolokaiRider like this.
  5. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Something about the 4 just never sat well for my uses. It seems like it bounced back a lot more than other chopping weighted knives I've had. To be fair, I chop into a lot of dry wood because that's usually what tends to fall, especially the ash trees from the ash borers and then vines. Batoned like a champ and was a lot of fun around the camp site, but I think it was a little too curved for my limited accuracy when using as a machete.

We have a ridiculous amount of vines in SE Michigan, much to my surprise when I moved over here. Rarely saw anything in West and Northern Michigan, darn near a jungle in the summer at the local mtb trail I've started to help maintain the past couple years. And those darn vines kill a lot of trees too, so usually I end up cutting out the vines just to get into the wood to saw it up.

It took me a long time to get one of these because of getting the 4 first, and then some different brands in similar sizes to the 9 so it felt like having a duplicate. But I haven't stopped keeping my eye out there. I think it says something when you rarely see a used one for sale, knowing a lot get sold.

6. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2011
    You still need a 21.....

7. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The 9 is a do-it-all, must-have knife in your arsenal.

[​IMG]

8. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Yes

Xr6x and GeofS like this.
  9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Congrats ... I tried a 4 but it wasn't as versatile IMHO ... the 9 just works for me ... not just as a chopper.

Xr6x, GeofS and bikerector like this.
  10. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I think that's the thing that led me to looking, "it's a must have," even if you have other things that are like it. And it's not bad looking either, compared to my 911 (another nice, do-it-all).

Xr6x and GeofS like this.
  11. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod

Jan 23, 2014
    Can’t believe nobody has said it yet..................You can’t not have a 9!

You will love it!

cwsmith17, GeofS, Xr6x and 1 other person like this.
  12. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Congrats on the 9er , no doubt you will like it :thumbsup::thumbsup: I sure like mine but I like using the 4 and the 21 more :)
    IMG_2498.JPG

13. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Who can't not love the 9?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. StrangeDaze

StrangeDaze Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2016
    That was a really good deal! Glad you are going to get to experience the king. I have one and love it but have been enjoying your 4 quite a bit!

15. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    It arrived and I got about 10 minute into chopping and splitting up some cedar for some rough finish planks for a potential "woodsy shelf" thing I'm looking at putting together from some salvaged cedar from blow overs. I at least had enough chance to get it dirty, but didn't get any action pics so these tamer ones will have to do. I likey, and the micarta scales are a nice touch over the plastic, which I just don't care for as much. And it came with the remora.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

91bravo, Beastchopper, Xr6x and 3 others like this.
  16. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Cool beans man, glad it came in, and you enjoy it. That 9 is one hell of a good blade. :thumbsup:

91bravo, Xr6x, GeofS and 1 other person like this.
  17. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    It's going to fit in nicely I think.

18. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I think it's a hell of a bargain. Chops great for it's size/weight. Have batonned tons of wood with mine.

19. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Did over an hour of work with the BK9 and a bahco taking a 6ft high brush pile down to 2 ft. What a fantastic landscaping tool. I wear some very thin leather gloves, mechanix fast fit with thin leather palms so I get decent dexterity still but better abrasion resistance than the synthetic materials I've tried, and not a single hot spot.

I think it's time to start listing some of my other big knives for sale. Not because they're bad, they's just not as good. Certainly proved itself to be a working tool.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    B.Mauser, 91bravo, Boss1911 and 5 others like this.
  20. jmclfrsh

jmclfrsh Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2012
    The King is a classic, and for good reason. Glad you finally got one!

B.Mauser, 91bravo and Xr6x like this.