1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK9 on the way

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by bikerector, Apr 14, 2019.

1. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Found a nice price on a BK9 in the exchange, and with micarta handles to boot. After trying out a few other Beckers, it's probably about time I got the king to add to the collection. I'm excited. It's a size I like a lot for trail maintenance tasks, combined with a silky big boy, and pruners... occasionally even busting out the full-size axe to build trail features out of downed trees. And they're just fun for when I want to go beat on some deadfall in the backwoods for some enthusiastic exercise.

That is all.

While I wait, here are pics of some other beckers I've had.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    it's a good knife - some folks prefer it over the 4 as a chopper, even.

Tanker 1/66, Xr6x and GeofS like this.
  3. The Warrior

The Warrior -Dubzerator- Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Great knife, congrats. I prefer it over the 4, but, to be fair, if I had the 4 first, and was more acquainted with it, I may have liked it better.

Xr6x, JJ_Colt45, MolokaiRider and 2 others like this.
  4. GeofS

GeofS Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    There is only one King. Great knife, enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Xr6x and MolokaiRider like this.
  5. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Something about the 4 just never sat well for my uses. It seems like it bounced back a lot more than other chopping weighted knives I've had. To be fair, I chop into a lot of dry wood because that's usually what tends to fall, especially the ash trees from the ash borers and then vines. Batoned like a champ and was a lot of fun around the camp site, but I think it was a little too curved for my limited accuracy when using as a machete.

We have a ridiculous amount of vines in SE Michigan, much to my surprise when I moved over here. Rarely saw anything in West and Northern Michigan, darn near a jungle in the summer at the local mtb trail I've started to help maintain the past couple years. And those darn vines kill a lot of trees too, so usually I end up cutting out the vines just to get into the wood to saw it up.

It took me a long time to get one of these because of getting the 4 first, and then some different brands in similar sizes to the 9 so it felt like having a duplicate. But I haven't stopped keeping my eye out there. I think it says something when you rarely see a used one for sale, knowing a lot get sold.

6. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2011
    You still need a 21.....

7. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The 9 is a do-it-all, must-have knife in your arsenal.

[​IMG]

8. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Yes

Xr6x and GeofS like this.
  9. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Congrats ... I tried a 4 but it wasn't as versatile IMHO ... the 9 just works for me ... not just as a chopper.

Xr6x, GeofS and bikerector like this.
  10. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    I think that's the thing that led me to looking, "it's a must have," even if you have other things that are like it. And it's not bad looking either, compared to my 911 (another nice, do-it-all).

Xr6x and GeofS like this.
  11. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod

Jan 23, 2014
    Can’t believe nobody has said it yet..................You can’t not have a 9!

You will love it!

cwsmith17, GeofS, Xr6x and 1 other person like this.
  12. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Congrats on the 9er , no doubt you will like it :thumbsup::thumbsup: I sure like mine but I like using the 4 and the 21 more :)
    IMG_2498.JPG

13. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Who can't not love the 9?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. StrangeDaze

StrangeDaze Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2016
    That was a really good deal! Glad you are going to get to experience the king. I have one and love it but have been enjoying your 4 quite a bit!

15. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    It arrived and I got about 10 minute into chopping and splitting up some cedar for some rough finish planks for a potential "woodsy shelf" thing I'm looking at putting together from some salvaged cedar from blow overs. I at least had enough chance to get it dirty, but didn't get any action pics so these tamer ones will have to do. I likey, and the micarta scales are a nice touch over the plastic, which I just don't care for as much. And it came with the remora.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

91bravo, Beastchopper, Xr6x and 3 others like this.
  16. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Cool beans man, glad it came in, and you enjoy it. That 9 is one hell of a good blade. :thumbsup:

91bravo, Xr6x, GeofS and 1 other person like this.
  17. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    It's going to fit in nicely I think.

18. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    I think it's a hell of a bargain. Chops great for it's size/weight. Have batonned tons of wood with mine.

19. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    Did over an hour of work with the BK9 and a bahco taking a 6ft high brush pile down to 2 ft. What a fantastic landscaping tool. I wear some very thin leather gloves, mechanix fast fit with thin leather palms so I get decent dexterity still but better abrasion resistance than the synthetic materials I've tried, and not a single hot spot.

I think it's time to start listing some of my other big knives for sale. Not because they're bad, they's just not as good. Certainly proved itself to be a working tool.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    B.Mauser, 91bravo, Boss1911 and 5 others like this.
  20. jmclfrsh

jmclfrsh Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2012
    The King is a classic, and for good reason. Glad you finally got one!

B.Mauser, 91bravo and Xr6x like this.