"Black Box" Winchesters

That Lockback is really excellent and the jigging on these knives is second to none,thanks for the pix:thumbup:

For a while, back a couple of years, these Winchesters brought poor prices on Ebay. When I found out they were mostly made by Queen, I bought a few, and stuck 'em away. They are nice knives, but I have yet to use/carry one. I am glad to hear good reports on their functionality. And glad to find I have a gunstock for the pattern thread.:eek: More posts on that one this weekend!
WinchesterBBKnives.jpg

P.S. your whittler came in a black box, Vince!

Does anyone remember which Winchester model was the first from Blue Grass??

Thanks, Larry!! Do you know what year that was?

Again, thanks Larry! The great thing about this forum is that, no matter what happened in the last fifty years, one of our members was likely there!!

Just to clarify "BLACK BOX" here's a pic for those who may read this thread in the future. There are other Winchester black boxes but they have different lettering and different colored lettering and represent different dates and/or models.
Greg

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back to Serpentine Jacks, here's an older Winchester with wood scales. They're a dark brown/black color. I guess these are called Dogleg Jacks as well? Reverse Dogleg Jack? This fella feels so right in the palm of your hand.
Greg

orig.jpg

Interesting blades on BOTH of those knives, Greg!! That old doggie is a beauty!!

(Note to Kerry; I'm trying not to say wharnie or slippie! Would you classify Doggie the same? Anathema?)

I have an '89 Sowbelly Stockman my Dad gave me about a dozen years ago, and I have this one on the way from Clarence Risner:

Win38.jpg

Thanks again, Blues! :D:thumbup:
Ron

I need to go look at mine, I think I bought the first 6 when they came out. Haven't seen the light of day since about 1991. Really got my interest back.

4 inch Sleeveboard Whittler. I think I am beginning to like this series.
Greg

orig.jpg

Back