"Black Box" Winchesters

It's always my pleasure to do so. I use knives to re-arrange the lighting for other things I'm working on. It's also nice to see if I can re-shoot them so they are better than the last ones I posted. One tip I can offer to everyone is to not use fuzzy red backgrounds. Everyone picks out something red to use. Red is like acid. You're better off using something, non reflective, smooth and not over saturated with color. Brown paper bags and manila envelopes and wood works pretty good. Think smooth (not carpet, towels, fabric etc.) and not too much color. White is fairly hard to get a good shot without using a photo editor. The idea is to show off the knife, not the background. Don't mean to cause a row, just my 2 cents.
Greg

Last edited:
Thank you again Greg, great tips and I’ve fixed it ^ and duly noted this information for future pics.
I am an amateur here, always willing to learn the ropes as they say. The best I’m able to do at this time, I’m afraid.

Cheers,
Gus

Notice how much the image improved from your original one by just changing the background? Your camera doesn't just look at the knife like we do. The camera takes in everything and tries to process it from there. The background is a major part of the shot too. Like I said before, red is like acid. It splashes all over everything when light hits it. The same applies with over saturated and bright colors. The more shots you take, the more your learn. The main thing is, don't pretend a photo looks good when you know it doesn't.
Greg

Now, find something smooth and non reflective for a background and you'll be on your way.
I don't think your very interested in the details in the carpet. Just the knife.
Greg

Greg mckgreg mckgreg . I don't know what photo hosting site you're using but not one of your pictures shows up on my screen. Everyone else's pictures display but not yours. All I get is the "img" icon.

Greg mckgreg mckgreg . I don't know what photo hosting site you're using but not one of your pictures shows up on my screen. Everyone else's pictures display but not yours. All I get is the "img" icon.

I was using Fototime for many years, a paid subscription, and they went up in smoke. All my photos on Blade Forums are gone. We're talking over 15 years of images I have posted in here. Everything. This thread, the Bob Cargill Cripple Creek thread or anything else I have posted. Everything. Fototime was a safe and reliable place to store photos, until they weren't.
Some people say they were part of the fire in France that decimated millions of websites. I don't know that for sure. All I know is that they are gone.
Greg

Last edited:
k01rro1.jpg

Back