"Black Box" Winchesters

bVQNh0D.jpg

This is my all time favorite knife to carry. I got it to replace my lost Case yellow cv sowbelly because I felt like I’d be more careful with it? It’s been joined by an S&M sowbelly in SS whose blades open so smoothly it makes me wonder about my Winchester. How smooth would you say is the action on yours?

The patterns share almost identical dimensions, the same pattern shape, and both are three spring whittlers. Bill Howard was in charge at Queen when the Black Box Winchesters were made. He is in charge of GEC now and when they made the 29’s. At the picnic in 2020 Bill Howard told us that he based the GEC 29 pattern on the Winchester 3904 he had done years earlier.
Thanks for that info, Travman Travman . If I recall correctly, Queen shut its doors in 2018, and the GEC 29 appeared the following year -- so, I always wondered whether the 29 might have been a nod to Queen on Bill's part.

ZVK4L30.jpg

The 2851 Gunstock jack. I think it compares better with GEC 22 Magnum instead of the 44 as I consider it a smaller jack. Excellent walk and talk and a firmer pull on all the gunstocks here. Actually managed to slice the back of my thumb knuckle withe the stag Winchester. Looks of it, the only thing it has cut in its 30 years of existence. I got the pearl in a lot of 6 pearl Winchesters a number of years ago, it was the only one used and was absolutely PACKED with pocket lint. Cleaned it out and has walk and talk just like the other still. I have many pearl handled knives and this is for sure the most used and intact handle of any. An earlier criticism of GEC was in their pinning of the handles. Particularly on the smaller knives the way it was done with the Winchesters does appear superior. That said, the fitment of the GEC knives as far as blade to spring, flushness in all positions and shield inletting is better with GEC. I think they are all wonderful and don't generally give any consideration one way or the other. I have 2 more models on the table after this.View attachment 1786989View attachment 1786990View attachment 1786992View attachment 1786994
After seeing all these Winchesters and the GEC 22 Magnum gunstocks thread I came across a Winchester Gunstock.

I am now in the process of trading a 1988 Remington bullet knife for it.

Will it never stop? 😇

Congratulations, I only have a couple of BB Winchesters, but think they're both really well-made knives. That Gunstock is a nice pattern :thumbsup:
Its only my 2nd gunstock, the pattern is growing on me I didnt like it at first a bit like the SAAB 900 😆

Thanks for that info, Travman Travman . If I recall correctly, Queen shut its doors in 2018, and the GEC 29 appeared the following year -- so, I always wondered whether the 29 might have been a nod to Queen on Bill's part.

ZVK4L30.jpg
One of my favorite patterns I love my 3904 there’s no replicating or replacing the Utica Roger’s bone these have

Back