Blade Show West 2019

Makael

Loving wife, kids and life.
Gold Member
Just purchased two 3 day tickets. Portland OR. November 1st thru the 3rd.

177 Exhibitors

Anyone else going?

https://bladeshowwest.com/

SHOW INFO
WHERE IS BLADE SHOW WEST?

OREGON CONVENTION CENTER
777 NE MARTIN LUTHER KING JR BLVD,
PORTLAND, OR 97232

BLADE Show West is located in Portland Oregon, the "Knife Capital of the USA". Attendees will be able to explore aisles of rare, unique and custom blades from across the globe, all from renowned knife makers and companies. In addition to the hard-to-find blades, you’ll have the chance to stock up on one-of-a-kind finds, accessories and more.

BLADE Show West offers every type of blade you can imagine, from everyday carry and gear, to specialty hunting knives, the best kitchen knives, to intricately crafted collector’s pieces. The show also has seminars, competitions, and is a gathering place for the those in the BLADE Community.

WHY OUT WEST?
After a lot of research our BLADE Show team has discovered that there are more Oregon knife companies in the Portland area than in any other state in the Union. It’s a thriving industry, with manufacturers employing thousands of workers alongside smaller outfits that employ only a few. Put it all together and you’ve got the knife capital of the USA. There is NO SALES TAX in the city of Portland so please keep that in mind when purchasing your knives/gear.

WHO PUTS ON BLADE SHOW WEST?
BLADE Show West is brought to you by the publishers of BLADE Magazine, "The World’s #1 Knife Publication", owned by Caribou Media LLC. Caribou also owns Gun Digest and is a great source for news and education in the outdoor industry.

BLADE Show West - Day 1

10:00am - Show opens to the public

3:00 – 4:00pm - "BACK FROM THE EDGE OF DULL" Maintaining a keen edge on your knife requires sharpening on a regular basis. However, that isn’t always done and the edge may go almost completely dull as a result. According to Kyle Crawford of Wicked Edge, his company has the tools to bring your knife back from the edge of dull. Let him show you how.

6:00pm - Show closes Day One

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 2
BLADE Show West - Day 2

11:00am – 12:00pm - "HOW TO MAKE A SINGLE-BLADE TRAPPER" Award-winning knifemakers Luke Swenson and Bill Ruple will show you how it’s done based on Swenson’s video tutorial “Slipjoints with Luke Swenson.” Basic setup, assembly, tang geometry, spring tension, fixtures and tuning, including the Ruple Gauge and the Elite Folder Jig from Metal Head Tools, will be among the highlights.

1:00 – 2:00pm - "COMBAT KNIFE DESIGN: WORLD WAR II TO TODAY" Celebrating 40 years as a maker and designer of knives, Bill Harsey worked closely for 14 of those years with Col. Rex Applegate, retired OSS operative and bodyguard for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, designing and making combat knives. Bill takes you through Col. Applegate’s mindset in creating folding and fixed-blade daggers, the smatchet and other combat knives, and how that mindset was influenced by the actual use of the knives. Harsey also details how Col. Applegate has influenced him in his creation of combat knives for Gerber, Chris Reeve Knives, CRKT/Ruger, Spartan Blades and more, a number of which have won BLADE Magazine Knife-Of-The-Year Awards.

2:30 – 3:30pm - "STAG HANDLES: TIPS, TRICKS & MORE" Last year ABS master smith David Lisch demonstrated how to make a flowed-in “S” guard for one of his stag-handle fixed blades. This year he will “cap off” the process by demonstrating how to pin the buttcap to the stag handle, shape the buttcap to the stag tips and other tricks of the trade.

4:00 – 5:00pm - "PUUKKO: FIRST BLADE OF FINLAND" The all-purpose Finnish puukko knife is famous for tackling any number of bushcraft and other utilitarian cutting chores, and Jeremy Spake’s custom puukkos are stunning examples of the genre. Join him as he shares his personal story of falling in love with the design early in his knifemaking journey, and his quest to learn as much as he can about making these fascinating knives.

6:00pm - Show closes Day Two

AFTER SHOW (TIME TBA) "CHEF’S KNIFE CUTTING COMPETITION"

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3
BLADE Show West - Day 3

3:00pm - Show closes Day Three - SHOW ENDS

Last edited:
I would love to go, but 20 hour drive each way makes it a no go for me. :(

no Sir. since buck ain't there...or are they this year?? make sure ya get a pic of Lynn doing his sword fighting stuff.....:p:D

I will be there for sure and will be meeting up with Makael.

I am only about 45 minutes away from where the show is. Lucky me.

I dont them on the vendor list.
yeah neither did i......lots of vendors to see though. buck should be there almost kinda in their backyard almost. guess setup a table for them Mak...ya got enough to represent them well...:D

Last edited:
I’ll be going. I enjoyed it last year. Got to support it so it keeps coming back to Portland. I live about 45min away so that’s nice.

yeah neither did i......lots of vendors to see though. buck should be there almost kinda in their backyard almost. guess setup a table for them Mak...ya got enough to represent them well...:D
I would set up a table if I was allowed. I like and support Buck, Ruana, Tops, Behring Made, Chris Reeves and Busse. Tops guys are a lot of fun. I will be touring the Tops facility this coming Tuesday.

Lots of cool smaller knife builders to see. We're lucky there is a west coast show.

Someday maybe I can go. Hope those who are lucky enough to attend can find some cool stuff and neat swag the vendors give out.

I’m curious if you contact Buck they might send out the sticker set they give out? I’ve a couple of my safes that I’m covering with different related stickers. I seem to recall reading here on the forums that Spyderco will. But it’s been some time since I carried a Spyderco.

Guess it doesn’t hurt to ask them. I’ve been told no once or twice before asking for things. Lol.

I would set up a table if I was allowed. I like and support Buck, Ruana, Tops, Behring Made, Chris Reeves and Busse. Tops guys are a lot of fun. I will be touring the Tops facility this coming Tuesday.

Lots of cool smaller knife builders to see. We're lucky there is a west coast show.

That Tops tour should be pretty cool. I know this is the buck forum but let us know what it's like

That Tops tour should be pretty cool. I know this is the buck forum but let us know what it's like
I have a few Buck/Tops collaborations. I have a Pig Roast event for a Dealer of mine in Idaho Falls on Monday. I think its a 8hr drive from Spokane. Might as well do something fun as well while I'm down there.:thumbsup:

I have a few Buck/Tops collaborations. I have a Pig Roast event for a Dealer of mine in Idaho Falls on Monday. I think its a 8hr drive from Spokane. Might as well do something fun as well while I'm down there.:thumbsup:

Yea your driving the 8 hrs anyway, make the best of it. I like most of the collabs, their built like tanks. I always kick myself for not getting one of the csar fixed blades when they were new.

Back