Bladeforums - Best Bowie 2007

Merry Christmas all.

How about we see if we can crown a winner in the best bowie category by popular acclaim?

Requirements are:

1) Definition - Flayderman wrote an entire book in search of a definition. There probably isn't one that all will endorse, so I'll try to be as inclusive as possible: a) fixed blade; b) 7" blade length and up; c) must be a custom piece. That's it. Fighters, camp knives and traditional bowies are welcome - as are both forged and stock removal blades.

2) Timing - the knife must have been made in 2007 - or first shown on bladeforums in 2007. No dragging out that perrenial favorite Fogg bowie with the drool-inspiring popcorn stag. Fogg bowies made this year are welcome. ;)

3) Ownership - doesn't matter - can be a knife you made, a knife you own or somebody else's knife all-together. I would particularly encourage makers to show what they feel is the best bowie THEY made this year. This is no time to be shy. :)

4) Number of entries - as many as you like that meet the above criteria. We'll run this over the holidays to collect as many entries as we can, then narrow it down to a manageable list of finalists that everyone gets to vote on.

I'll start off with a few:

Russ Andrews, JS - ginormous mammoth ivory S-guard, owned by Keith Montgomery:

orig.jpg

Greg Neely, MS - you could put this picture in the dictionary - it would suffice as a definition of "bowie" - owned by Peter Gill:

orig.jpg

Don Hanson, MS - the ivory bowie in the middle - owned by Rob - hopefully someone has a better pic of this - it derserves one:

orig.jpg

Nick Wheeler, JS - great lines speak for themselves. This one is so clean and crisp, you could cut yourself on the picture:

orig.jpg

Burt Foster, MS - innovative and dramatic - stainless over carbon laminate:

orig.jpg

Bailey Bradshaw, MS - Grapes of Wrath II - elegance defined:

orig.jpg

Okay - let's see what ya got.

Roger

Allow me to complicate the voting..

Mace Vitale
orig.jpg

Don Hanson
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Mitch Edwards
orig.jpg

Jason Knight
orig.jpg

Dan Graves
orig.jpg

JD Smith
orig.jpg

Jay Hendrickson
orig.jpg

Harry & Charlie Mathews
orig.jpg

WHEW!

Coop

Starting to look as "2007" was a very GOOD year for custom Bowies. :thumbup:

Great thread Roger and IMO 7" was an excellent minimum blade length.

I think Coop wins "Best Knife Background" (dragon fly) hands down. ;)

...all of these knives are going to cause me to lose sleep... what a gorgeous lineup!

WOW!!!!!

Wow - a couple hours on Christmas day and you guys have already made my head explode :eek: Great job!

Stephen - you've been holding out - gorgeous Hancock!

Keep 'em rolling.

Roger

My "real" Texan or Tejano Bowie. No foolin' around.

Made by D. Brock (Plowshare Forge)

The blade was forged from a piece of new, 1/4" 1095 tool steel approx 2" X 10". The guard was cast by the molded sand method and the handle is ebonized white oak - the same as the Musso Bowie. Ebonizing is simply painting it with white vinegar and iron filings. The iron reacts with the tannin in the oak and turns it black. The sheath, being oak-tanned cowhide, is blackened the same way. The sheath was made by molding the leather while wet around a wooden former that, once everything is dry, holes punched etc, is glued and sewn into the sheath.

-D. Brock; Plowshare Forge

Joe-B.jpg

This is already one of those, "Excuse me while I go change my pants and clean the key-board...." threads!!! :eek: ;)

HOLY MOLY!!! :eek: :thumbup: :cool:

ps- I am more than honored to be included. There are enough grand slams in this thread already... to make my head spin.

Awesome!!! :D

All of these bowies I got in 07 except for the amor piece but it has never been pictured here . The amor piece has a impala, amber and ivory handle and a very nice sheath. The other is a Fitch with mammoth ivory handle and san mai damascus blade. The other two are bagwell's my damascus Hell's Belle and a forged carbon and stag bowie with two sheaths one traditional from bill and another scout carry style for heavy field use that have both been pictured here before but I thought I would throw them in for good measure. My pics can not compare to the very talented people here but I will keep trying. By the way the background is wolf

thanks JP happy holidays

bowie010.jpg

bowie005.jpg
[/IMG]
bowie003.jpg
[/IMG]
bowie012.jpg
[/IMG]
L1000379.jpg
[/IMG]
L1000394.jpg
[/IMG]

how could we decide they are all so BEAUTIFUL! What peices of work! Merry christmas to all!

Just for the record... There are some freaking fantastic knives in this thread...

But that Knight that Coop posted is, in my eyes, perfection in line, elegance, flow.... yet at the same time, incredibly fierce and formidable. FAN-F'ing-TASTIC! :thumbup: :cool:

What a great day. This thread is why I come to bladeforums. they are all winners in my eyes.

Nick, you are so right about the Knight. It looks like it is going 100 MPH!

But I do think the "Best of 2007"has to go to Burt's piece. It took my breath away.

Ouch!!!!!:eek: Amazing pieces one and all. I actually like Nick's blackwood bowie better than the one that won the Peck award. But then again, I like the plain Bagwell better than the damascus Hell's Belle, so what do I know?:D I'm still trying to figure out how Jerry filed the handle bolts to match that deep crevasse in the stag on Kevin's Gambler bowie and was still able to engrave it:eek:

Back